Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the topic, lol.

Jasper started with diarrhea this morning. He has had quite a few bouts but is acting otherwise his normal goofy self. If it continues until tomorrow I will certainly call a vet (we're new here and it's Saturday, so an emergency vet is the only probable option.)

Do others wait a day to see if it resolves if the dog is acting fine otherwise, or am I under-reacting?

I should add that he is UTD on all shots and gets heartworm preventative and Frontline, and I have not changed his food at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,923 times
I've waited before and I've taken them in before. My friend actually just took her dog in because he was literally pooping blood. Turned out he had some parasite and was near death had she not taken him in right away. I would find a vet just to be on the safe side.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking that as I was cleaning up the roughly 30th mess today. If anything, maybe we can get a med that will help him -- he's got to be so sore!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Sometimes they get stomach upset like us. I would feed boiled chicken and rice (some feed boiled hamburger instead of chicken but I think chicken is easier and more palatable) for a few days and slowly introduce his regular food. Once you do start him on his regular food he should have soft stool so adding some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling - actual pumpkin without additives) will do the trick. I buy pumpkins around Halloween and Thanksgiving and make puree to freeze just for this purpose. Last year there was a shortage of canned pumpkin for some odd reason...

Good Luck! I wouldn't go to the E-Vet unless he was also vomiting. Not sure how old your dog is but Parvo can be big in puppies and you want to catch that early.

Another thing to consider is switching foods - if you are stuck to a brand try alternating proteins if they have them available. So alternate between chicken, beef, lamb, etc. It gives dogs variety but ensures that no allergies develop out of the blue. Some dogs just have weird digestive systems. One of our dogs is a toss-up - he can do great and then all of a sudden have a reaction wheras the other could eat just about anything and not have any reaction.

A food that works great for dogs with digestive issues is California Natural - the Chicken and Rice is what I put all our fosters on when they have diarrhea or soft stool. Good Luck! I hope you see some improvement in a few days!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Yeah, I was just thinking that as I was cleaning up the roughly 30th mess today. If anything, maybe we can get a med that will help him -- he's got to be so sore!
30th?????? If that's accurate, a big concern at this point is dehydration. Have you checked to see if he's still hydrated? Pull up the loose skin on his neck as if you're giving him an injection, then release it. If the skin doesn't return to a normal flat position quickly, he may be dehydrated & need sub-qs ASAP.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks. Just got back from the emergency vet because he just kept pooping all over the place. He has an overgrowth of bacteria that might have been caused by the training we've been doing -- the trainer brings string cheese, which he'd never had before. Time to find a new reward just in case!

So. no emergency, but he is on an antibiotic and a bland diet (as suggested) for a few days, and at least I know it's not a major thing and he should feel better soon...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
I always give it a couple of days as long as blood isn't involved. It's been 6 months since she last had bad diarrhea **knock wood**.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Sorry for the topic, lol.

Jasper started with diarrhea this morning. He has had quite a few bouts but is acting otherwise his normal goofy self. If it continues until tomorrow I will certainly call a vet (we're new here and it's Saturday, so an emergency vet is the only probable option.)

Do others wait a day to see if it resolves if the dog is acting fine otherwise, or am I under-reacting?

I should add that he is UTD on all shots and gets heartworm preventative and Frontline, and I have not changed his food at all.
Get a few pounds of deer meat and cook it, add that to a couple pounds of brown rice and cottage cheese mixed together and give him orange gatorade.

Should fix him right up. I had to do this for a few days when my hound decided to eat a dead bird that had been dead for unknown length of time. Silly critters, some of them will just eat anything.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:34 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Get a few pounds of deer meat and cook it, add that to a couple pounds of brown rice and cottage cheese mixed together and give him orange gatorade.
My bland-diet formula is similar: boiled chicken and white rice and plain unsweetened yogurt, but I puree it all together in the food processor to make it as digestible as possible. As for rebalancing his electrolydes, I add honey and a bit of salt to his drinking water.

Quote:
Silly critters, some of them will just eat anything.
Bandit is obsessed with the dead things on the ground, mostly worms and frogs and cicadas. Drives me absolutely nuts.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
I am glad it wasn't terribly serious! It doesn't sound like the String Cheese would be the culprit. That is definitely the high value treat when we do agility with our dogs or the obedience training. You may try some Probiotics - which can be done by adding yogurt to the bland diet (but unfortunately it adds a negligible amount) There is a probiotic called Fast Track that you could try adding to food - forever if you wanted to. Sending good thoughts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs