Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:00 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times

Advertisements

My little chis are on hollistic too and we have them on ori jen and it is a dry food too and they love it . I would try maybe a little baby food mixed in with the food maybe one or two tblsps to help make it a little moist . Of course this home is also still new to her because she is nervous she might not yet feel comfy enough to eat yet . I wish you luck and if I can be of any more help please dm me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:00 PM

293 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Dry food doesn't clean teeth. Years ago I fed dry food and my little dog had to have dentals every few years.

The little dog I have now gets great, grain free, junk free canned food as well as fresh foods like lamb, almon, carrots, apples... I wipe her teeth every night and use a gel to also losen plaque. In nine years, she has never needed to go "under" for a dental!

She is seen by her allergist vet and reg vet and they are very happy with her clean teeth!

I believe mealtime should be yummy and fun so I always make sure to have a good meal twice a day for her. She gets treats from the same Nat. Balance brand and carrots and bananas too.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Foxy is in good hands if her humans are asking questions.

We believe that a diet of 40% kibble (Taste of the Wild is our preference) and 60% meat is best for our hounds. The meat is generally served rare sometimes leaning towards the raw side. Cooked just enough to make a nice juice / gravy fluid.

We lost our Austrailian Shepherd to the tainted production kibble and seached long and hard for a diet we believe provides our canivores the best nutrition.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times
My dog has been on 10+ foods since a pup. He's a real particular eater. He literally got tired of his dry and would sniff and walk away. This didn't happen right away, but after the bag was 1/2-3/4's gone. I've tried mixing wet food in with the dry and he would eventually pick out the wet only. So far now, he's eating the brand "Blue". We've been on different dog stores food from their brand to mid-price brands, and even the grocery dog food choices. He's almost 3 years old and now he's settled down a bit to "Blue" brand....I hope.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:56 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,869 times
your dogs dont eat because you allow it,take control they are dogs you are supposed to be the leader
a dog will love you more if you show leadership......but as usual I know I'm wrong

Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Foxy is in good hands if her humans are asking questions.

We believe that a diet of 40% kibble (Taste of the Wild is our preference) and 60% meat is best for our hounds. The meat is generally served rare sometimes leaning towards the raw side. Cooked just enough to make a nice juice / gravy fluid.

We lost our Austrailian Shepherd to the tainted production kibble and seached long and hard for a diet we believe provides our canivores the best nutrition.
You are aware that TOTW has a preservative that had a recall on it are you not ? I had my chis on that until i was better informed . Ori gen is a far better food than TOTW. And ori gen is made in their own factory so no cross contamination . very comforting thought when you consider what happened a few yrs ago .

Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 AM

293 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Being a leader doesn't mean making a dog eat food she doesn't like. A leader should realize it may be a bad food or not agree with a dog. SO many reasons a dog may not want to eat. We have to help them and let mealtime be fun and delicious. Imagine just having to eat what is in a bowl every day. Day in and day out.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 PM

119 posts, read 316,887 times
I have been getting some really nice answers. Thank you everyone. Trudysmom- what kind of gel do you recommend for teeth cleaning and the wipes? I bought a doggy formulated toothpaste and brushes that fit over my fingers to brush her teeth, but she really doesn't like it. I'd appreciate hearing what brands you use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs