Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:22 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times

Advertisements

After 35 years of owning, training and playing with retrievers (Curly Coat, Chesapeake Bay & Labrador) We now have our first hound breed in our new girl Sammie. She is showing herself to be very bright and has already learned all sorts of new things (potty training, walking nicely on leash, that the TV, dishwasher and washing machine will make noise but won't come after her). Unfortunately I'm at a standstill on how to "teach" her to play! She watches the other dogs "fetch" but just stands there as if to say "what in the world is the point of this?" When I get her alone in the yard and "play bow", bounce around her and chase her, she seems to love and understand that. Unfortunately, it wears me out way before she has had enough. Especially in 98 degree heat I also can't get her anywhere near the pool, so I'd say swimming isn't on the list either.

I need some help in finding other ways to get her to play and have fun. Preferably without giving myself a heart attack in the process. I know I need to work off some of this excess energy daily before she finds totally unacceptable ways to do it for me.

Any ideas?....Please.....

Last edited by Va-Cat; 07-31-2010 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
The only advice I can give you is to move closer to PC. When he wants to play, he'll put a toy in his mouth and nudge the other dog until they play. He will not take no for an answer so she'll have no choice but to play!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The only advice I can give you is to move closer to PC. When he wants to play, he'll put a toy in his mouth and nudge the other dog until they play. He will not take no for an answer so she'll have no choice but to play!
Can PC come here for a play date with Sammie? Houston isn't that far.
Unfortunately, Mariah and Gator seem to only be ball and water oriented. Sammie play bows to them, crawls towards them on her belly and gives every signal there is for them to chase her and play. All they do is just look at her like she has lost her mind!

There has to be some common ground out there somewhere. They may all be dogs but they are definately speaking different languages!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:58 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,739 times
How about tugwith a rope toy? Will the other two dogs engage in that? (I think it's so cute that the hound wants someone to chase her.)

How about play dates with friends' dogs who like to play chase? Or......you might have to get a second hound

Old 07-31-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
How about tugwith a rope toy? Will the other two dogs engage in that? (I think it's so cute that the hound wants someone to chase her.)

How about play dates with friends' dogs who like to play chase? Or......you might have to get a second hound
We have Best Friends adoptee coming into town next week. I might set up a play date - thanks for the suggestion!!!

As to getting another dog.......it sounds like you have been talking with my husband! Thats what he wants and has suggested

As for me....I sort of want to keep it at 3 pups until I have Sammie better trained and she grows a brain. (She is at that one year old "impulse only" stage right now)

Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,820 times
Well think about what is the nature of the hound...smelling out things. Maybe try a stuffed toy that you get some sort of scent on (your bed? the other dogs' beds?) and make her fetch that? I'd also research hounds on the internet I am sure there are some great websites with ideas.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I've tried a tug rope....all the retrievers want to do is retrieve it to me

Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Some dogs don't play. Some dogs don't know toys and don't understand what they are for.

Start with a toy you can stuff with snacks or peanut butter...then she'll get interested in toys eventually...also it helps if you want her to fetch or play keep away to act like you really want the thing you want her to go after...

Is she a scent hound? You can make hide and seek games with treats...she'd probably really enjoy that.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:19 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Well, she's a hound, so I wouldn't expect her to act like a retriever .

I think with most hound breeds, games that incorporate their hunting instincts are particularly engaging. I play "Hot and cold" with my GSD: I sequester her in a separate room while I stash an object (usually a favorite toy) somewhere in another room. The, I let her out and begin saying "cod" or "hot" depending on how near to the object she is. I have also seen Victoria Stillwell do a similar game on her show, which left out the hot and cold, took place outside and in which she just hid an object somewhere and then said, "Go find it" to the dog, who then proceeded to find. Rather than getting your hound to try to engage in a game that the other dogs like, you might try it the other way around next time. Or, you might play fetch with the others while you supervise your hound while she hunts.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Well think about what is the nature of the hound...smelling out things. Maybe try a stuffed toy that you get some sort of scent on (your bed? the other dogs' beds?) and make her fetch that? I'd also research hounds on the internet I am sure there are some great websites with ideas.
Hmmm - that is worth a try. She does already have a fascination with taking dirty clothes out of the hamper! Maybe I'll just try throwing DH's underwear across the yard for her to fetch

Other than that......looks like a trip to Petsmart is in order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs