Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times

Advertisements

As others have said she's a hound big dif from a retriever. You didn't say what kind of hound? I'd also try contacting her breeds local club. If she's a scent hound try tracking if she's a sight hound try lure coursing.

I've had two dogs that 'don't play' a corgi and a JRT both were adult rescues I also have a friend with a sheltie she got as an adult...many need to be taught to 'play' as puppies otherwise it's difficult.

Do something fun that is breed specific. My JRT LOVE'S to track so the game is hiding and finding food. That's his 'play'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
As others have said she's a hound big dif from a retriever. You didn't say what kind of hound? I'd also try contacting her breeds local club. If she's a scent hound try tracking if she's a sight hound try lure coursing.

I've had two dogs that 'don't play' a corgi and a JRT both were adult rescues I also have a friend with a sheltie she got as an adult...many need to be taught to 'play' as puppies otherwise it's difficult.

Do something fun that is breed specific. My JRT LOVE'S to track so the game is hiding and finding food. That's his 'play'.
She is still very much a puppy. The vets all concur that she is right around a year old. As for the type of hound.....only her mom and dad know for sure Her genetic background appears to be pretty well mixed with a little of this and a little of that. All I know is that she has a pair of big floppy ears, a long whip tail, a nose that can smell a crumb from 100 yards and a pair of big brown eyes that can melt the coldest of hearts with one look.

Anyone want to take a guess at what she is?
Attached Thumbnails
I'm out of ideas-noble-hound.jpg  

Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
She is still very much a puppy. The vets all concur that she is right around a year old. As for the type of hound.....only her mom and dad know for sure Her genetic background appears to be pretty well mixed with a little of this and a little of that. All I know is that she has a pair of big floppy ears, a long whip tail, a nose that can smell a crumb from 100 yards and a pair of big brown eyes that can melt the coldest of hearts with one look.

She's cute. Her legs look too long for a hound. But her ears are pretty long. She looks like she might have some golden lab in her.

I love mutts!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
She's cute. Her legs look too long for a hound. But her ears are pretty long. She looks like she might have some golden lab in her.

I love mutts!
I love 'em too. If there is any retriever in her its pretty well hidden. She hates water, has no retrieve drive and her coat soaks up water like a sponge

That nose though......she has a really, really good nose.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Oh, she's absolutely beautiful! Your description was spot-on!

I agree that her legs are long for a hound, and her coloring belies lab. As I've said before, mutts are oftentimes a mix of several breeds rather than just two. Honestly, her legs look like my GSD's My guess would be [fox/coon]hound, lab, and maybe something else. Definitely lab, although her behavior suggests that she is predominantly hound.

Look familiar:

+

Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,040 times
My hounds love fetch with stuffed toys.Part of training in SAR also as want high play drive. We make a game out of it and one starts they all get involved and then the chase is on and we no longer get to play as everyone is trying to get toy from another.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,775 times
Our pup wasn't interested in playing for his first month with us. He chewed on his toys, but fetch or and form of typical play was out of the question. He just recently started to fetch toys when thrown, seemingly out of no where! Our trainer told us that not all dogs are into "playing" but to keep trying different toys and games to see what clicks.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:55 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I vote for a Redbone mix.

We've got a pb Black Mouth Cur... or as the locals around my neck of the woods like to drawl - a "cur dog" (cracks me up - how very Shakespearean of them). He wouldn't swim either, even with two other dogs to show him what all that water was for. I've been trying to remember exactly what it was that got him in, and I'm pretty sure it was because he was hunting a frog. There you go... get a frog!

It's funny, until you see a scent hound in action... Well, suffice it to say I used to think our GSD x Irish Setter had an excellent nose. Then we acquired the BMC. I'd swear that if that dog could talk, he'd tell me what was going on in the next county.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM

49 posts, read 124,860 times
I would try the socializing with other dogs. Do you have a dog park where the pup can see other pups and play might just flow..... I had this happen to me with my little one and she didn't want to play for the longest time (more than one year) and then one day she just started chewing and tugging and even taking toys away from other dogs. Be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs