Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM

119 posts, read 467,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The head under the towel test is not really a fair test in my particular case. I play a game with my dogs that involves tossing a blanket over Buddy and then saying to my other dog (Blizzard) "Where is Buddy?" This gets her excited and she has to figure out how to get under the blanket to find Buddy. Buddy, in the mean time, knows it is a game and is wagging his tail under the blanket and will try to bite (playfully of course) anyone or anything that dares touch HIS blanket, but he doesn't try to get out from under the blanket himself.

When the blanket come off, Buddy knows the game is over. So he tries to stay under the blanket as long as possible.
That is so funny because I was about to say almost the same thing. The blanket would not work with my Buddy because I put a blanket on his head and then poke one side then the other while he tries to play then I pull up blanket and he tries to give me kisses and he thinks this is one of the funnest games ever.

My Buddy did great on everything that involved a treat and pretty well on the rest. He is smart but maybe not a genuis but if you had treats involved in each question he would be Albert Einstein. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 AM

573 posts, read 1,690,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The head under the towel test is not really a fair test in my particular case. I play a game with my dogs that involves tossing a blanket over Buddy and then saying to my other dog (Blizzard) "Where is Buddy?" This gets her excited and she has to figure out how to get under the blanket to find Buddy. Buddy, in the mean time, knows it is a game and is wagging his tail under the blanket and will try to bite (playfully of course) anyone or anything that dares touch HIS blanket, but he doesn't try to get out from under the blanket himself.

When the blanket come off, Buddy knows the game is over. So he tries to stay under the blanket as long as possible.

I tried a similar IQ test with my dog Nikki a few years back. I was watching a program on Animal Planet and decided to try it...put a blanket over her, waited to see how long it would take her to get out. She stayed under there for the rest of the program, about 20 minutes. Score: Big fat zero.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - this is gonna be fun to do tomorrow. I'm not sure about the one test with the treat under the table. How many points will my Chessie get if she uses her big old block head to tip the table over to get the treat? (thats what I think will happen!)
LOL, that is pretty much what my GSD did when I tried this. He took a quick look at me and after calculating that he wouldn't punished afterwards, pushed the edge of the table with his body hard enough to knock it over and out of the way of the treat. This same dog learned to open doors that had the lever style handles, so I changed them all out for round knobs and a month later had to start locking them to keep them closed while I slept or was away during the day.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - this is gonna be fun to do tomorrow. I'm not sure about the one test with the treat under the table. How many points will my Chessie get if she uses her big old block head to tip the table over to get the treat? (thats what I think will happen!)
yeah i had to sit near sadie to keep her from doing that to the pile of books i made, and then she wouldn't do anything! she did try her paw a little bit but mostly just tried to shove the pile over with her head, then gave up.

she got a 24 - the ones she did badly on were that one and the smiling one, which she didn't get at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Ok, I went through the test and guessed what Ms Munch would score and I'm guessing 22. I'll try this weekend and see how close I am!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:31 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
I'm going with the thinking that at least PC is cute, even though his middle name of Edward, aka Special Ed, lives on! The cup test, he barked at the cup because he was scared of it. Then, he overcame his fear and started to lick it. After he got tired of that, he laid down and and patiently waited for his treat. 60 seconds passed and he earned a point.

The towel test was traumatic. He walked into the wall and was clearly panicking. He also earned a point for this one.

He only got 1 point on test 3. He was still skeptical, since both the cup and towel were near me, and he was sniffing them and too busy to pay attention to mama. He got 1 point.

Test 4 was not good. He looked at me as if to say, "Woman, you threw that towel over my head a minute ago and now you want me to go searching for treats in there?" He did not come near the towel. 1 point.

Test 5 was easy for him, since he regularly loses toys under the table/couch/furniture and uses his paws to retrieve them. 5 points for this one.

And he got 4 points for test 6, since he definitely knows his name and always responds to it, though very slowly since he doesn't like to get up after laying down. So, PC got a total of 13 points, which means he's not too bright but very cute. Yup, that about sums up my short bus baby. It's ok, mama still loves him, as this picture proves!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1975 View Post
I will try my little guy tomorrow.
So, how did the little guy do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs