Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:51 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,537 times

Advertisements

So Sydney is now over 6 months old. When we got him, we were feeding him a cup of dry food and about 1-2 tablespoons of canned food..now he is up to 2 cup dry food and about 3-4 tbs wet food. My question is at what age is it ok to take them off of the wet food. I don't think it would change his appetite in the slightest since he's a hoover, but should we slowly wean him off it by giving him less and less over a period of time or should we wait until he's a year old? Any advice is much appreciated!

Also has anyone ever had an issue with a dog chewing baseboard molding or the molding around doors? We have not had a single issue with chewing until lately..and its not shoes, pillows, anything I've seen with my dogs in the past..its only the wooden molding. I'm making a petsmart trip today to pick up some bitter apple spray..keeping my fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,102 times
You don't have to wean him off of the can if you don't want to. I've used can food for some of my dogs as adults for years. If he will eat his dry without it then good, if not then putting a spoon full of can isn't going to hurt.

As for the baseboards, try teaching him "leave it" when you catch him chewing tell him to leave it and redirect him and treat for "leaving it". Teaching him to leave it will help with other things he may want to chew on. My pup loves to chew but when I tell him to leave it he will.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
It's up to you on the wet food. Like other poster said if he can eat his kibble without the wet, great, if not it doesn't hurt.

As for the baseboards you can get a spray called Apple Bitter and spray it on everything he chews. It's a chewing deterrent and sometimes help. My dog however apparently likes the taste of it lol

Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
It's only when adding something to their food -- or changing it completely -- that it needs to be a gradual process. Removing an element from their food can be done "cold turkey."

Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the responses! We have two cans of food left, and then I'll see how he does with only dry food..if his appetite decreases, then its back to adding the canned, but I doubt that will happen. We'll be making a Petsmart trip tonight for the bitter apple spray..my bf will be "chaperoning" though because my last Petsmart trips broke the bank ..what can I say, I'm an impulse shopper and just love to spoil Syd the kid

Sydney learned "leave it" last week in obedience class and we've been practicing all week..he is getting better with it..as they say, practice makes perfect! (I hope ..as do my baseboards)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 AM

293 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Glad the training is helping. Dogs are so smart, they just need us to know how to help them. Positive training.

Canned is fine, my little dog eats it. I wipe her teeth nightly. I would do that if she ate dry food too. Dry food doesn't make teeth clean. Mealtime should be yummy and fun for them.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
So Sydney is now over 6 months old. When we got him, we were feeding him a cup of dry food and about 1-2 tablespoons of canned food..now he is up to 2 cup dry food and about 3-4 tbs wet food. My question is at what age is it ok to take them off of the wet food. I don't think it would change his appetite in the slightest since he's a hoover, but should we slowly wean him off it by giving him less and less over a period of time or should we wait until he's a year old? Any advice is much appreciated!

Also has anyone ever had an issue with a dog chewing baseboard molding or the molding around doors? We have not had a single issue with chewing until lately..and its not shoes, pillows, anything I've seen with my dogs in the past..its only the wooden molding. I'm making a petsmart trip today to pick up some bitter apple spray..keeping my fingers crossed!
At 6 months and only giving 3-4 tsp/day I think you can just drop the canned food if the pup will eat the dry without it. Or, just give a little for gravy flavor as has been suggested.

When you correct your pup from chewing on the baseboards re-direct him to the appropriate chew toy. If you have not started basic obedience training this would be the time to start. The "leave it" command will help the dog understand not to chew on things you do not want touched. You might try taking the dog out to play too during this time. Tired puppies are sleeping puppies and sleeping puppies are angels!

If the bitter apple doesn't work try hot sauce (Tabasco or such).

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
At 6 months and only giving 3-4 tsp/day I think you can just drop the canned food if the pup will eat the dry without it. Or, just give a little for gravy flavor as has been suggested.

When you correct your pup from chewing on the baseboards re-direct him to the appropriate chew toy. If you have not started basic obedience training this would be the time to start. The "leave it" command will help the dog understand not to chew on things you do not want touched. You might try taking the dog out to play too during this time. Tired puppies are sleeping puppies and sleeping puppies are angels!

If the bitter apple doesn't work try hot sauce (Tabasco or such).

Yes, we have started obedience training and it is definitely a huge help. I was more concerned because the chewing has suddenly got worse. We had our obedience class last night though and the trainer looked at Sydney's mouth and told us he has several baby teeth growing in, so a lot of it has to do with teething I think, as well as that he needs to be neutered soon (we are waiting another 3 weeks until obedience class is over). He is not fond of the bitter apple spray, so I think that should work, and yes, we always do redirect with either his Nylabone or another toy. And definitely agree, a tired puppy is a good puppy. Since he is part Australian shepherd, we try to keep him very busy because he is much better behaved when tired both mentally and physically. Thanks all for the advice!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Not sure when they loose all the baby teeth but when you have him neutered ask the vet to be sure there are no baby teeth left where the adult teeth are too. It happens more in small dogs.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Not sure when they loose all the baby teeth but when you have him neutered ask the vet to be sure there are no baby teeth left where the adult teeth are too. It happens more in small dogs.
He's going to be a medium-large dog but I'll certainly have the vet check. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs