Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times

Advertisements

Very interesting story. The dog is doing better though

Military dog comes home from Iraq traumatized - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Interesting and poor gina.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,374,489 times
Jaime I just read this story and am glad that Gina is doing better. It's such a shame that this happened to her. Hopefully when they do have her back to work it will be stateside and she won't be put back in combat.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Jaime I just read this story and am glad that Gina is doing better. It's such a shame that this happened to her. Hopefully when they do have her back to work it will be stateside and she won't be put back in combat.

I hope so too. In fact at this point I think they should just let her be a family pet and not work anymore, or do work that doesn't require as much stress like bomb sniffing does to an animal.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
It really isn't a wonder that she was terrified. It was not as if she chose to go into combat. Moreover, she was still, basically, a puppy when she went.

I didn't like the part in the article that said that she shouldn't be comforted when frightened. I know that is a long-standing belief among trainers, but I have a GSD who is afraid of thunderstorms and who actually calms down when I comfort her. If/when I do not, her fear increases and the situation goes from bad to worse. A lot of GSD's are very sensitive dogs and sometimes need emotional support when dealing with frightening situations, just like humans.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It really isn't a wonder that she was terrified. It was not as if she chose to go into combat. Moreover, she was still, basically, a puppy when she went.

I didn't like the part in the article that said that she shouldn't be comforted when frightened. I know that is a long-standing belief among trainers, but I have a GSD who is afraid of thunderstorms and who actually calms down when I comfort her. If/when I do not, her fear increases and the situation goes from bad to worse. A lot of GSD's are very sensitive dogs and sometimes need emotional support when dealing with frightening situations, just like humans.
I agree, I think they should comfort her, with what she's been through she deserves some TLC.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM

68 posts, read 273,517 times
I hope they seriously don't send her back to Iraq, that would be horrible. They should make her a therapy dog for veterans, they both can understand each other.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
My dog Pammy was gotten thru an ad. Her first owner apparently did the world for her. He joined the miliary and left her with her sister on their farm, including a lot of other dogs. When he was redeployed she couldn't keep her. I'm sure the woman cared, but poor Pam was not used to being a pack of dogs and I get the impression from the behavior I saw at first that people got impatient and hit her.

She is a lot better now, doesn't cringe when your hand is above her, but she sleeps with pillows around her. I think she got attacked by other dogs when they were sleeping because still, when startled awake or just touched, she'll bark and occasionally snap at you. I just give her space. But I'd love to let her cuddle against me to sleep like she wants to.

I feel for this beautiful dog who suffered so much. I am glad that they care and are working with her today. Many of the dogs used in other wars were put down because they were not considered to be safe as pets after their experiences and were not needed as war dogs anymore.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
I feel for our service people who have been deployed, and redeployed numerous times. We ARE going to pay the piper dearly for this in years to come.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
This makes me insanely sad for so many reasons. Sigh... I wish I could hug Gina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs