Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:58 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,462,795 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful story! I'll bet those hound-dog eyes light up right away!
So glad you got another dog, and especially a senior. I feel sad when people don't get another dog after the pain of losing a beloved dog. There are many dogs-to-be-beloved who are ready now. Yes, you'll have less time with a senior, but you wouldn't want to miss a minute out of fear of loss.
Congratulations, and best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,608,432 times
Congratulations on your new family member! It made me smile to think of another senior getting a new home and lots of love. A friend of mine takes in seniors and dogs with cancer some times they live years other times months.While she does feel sad to say good bye to any of them she also feels good knowing that because of her they lived out whatever time they had left feeling loved.

I hope you and Corn-dog are blessed with many years together and that all the cats learn to love her too as she sounds like a sweet girl.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,382,743 times
Okay! A few pictures I am exploring in how to drag off my new phone onto the computer.

I don't know if these will come in order, but one is the first picture of her riding in the back of the truck on the way home from the shelter. (she's so skinny and sad!)

Second is after her bath, she's all warm and snuggly on my bed with me taking a nap.

Third is her laying on the floor playing with Cinders

I know she doesn't look it on the way home... but she's made great strides in learning how to be happy again. She always stays next to someone in the house, always a lap to lay her head on, and a hand to scratch her ears, and always has encouraging silly doggy loving talk whenever anyone sees her - and she lights up and starts wagging her butt and trots over to be cuddled. It may take some time before her self esteem comes back up, so for now, we stroke her ego for her She's a GOOOd doggy, a BEAUTIFUL doggy, oh what a good doggy!

I almost cried I was so happy the first time I saw her crack a true smile. An all-out loopy doggy cheese-eating grin. I was so happy for her. And I have to laugh everytime I snap her leash on and leave out the front door with her - she runs up to the passenger side of my truck and stands there wiggling impatiently- whether we were going anywhere or not!

I'm working on fattening her up. She likes cat treats. lol (she has an assortment of her own doggie treats too, no worries guys) She'll do tricks for hotdogs without the bun from 7-11 too. But I didn't encourage that one.

Corn-dog is sitting by my feet with her tail thumping on the ground as we speak. Must know I'm talking about her Once we're done here we're gonna vaccuum, change over some laundry, then go for a ride! (she sits in the front seat now, doing the whole "ears-flappin in the breeze out the window" whenever I run out to do an errand) hehe.
Attached Thumbnails
A new addition to the family-img073.jpg   A new addition to the family-img072.jpg   A new addition to the family-img074.jpg   A new addition to the family-img075.jpg  

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 09-21-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,062,426 times
oh my!! WHAT a transformation in such a short time .... she looks so sad and defeated in the first 2 pictures riding in your truck..... and then, just a little while later, napping after her bath, she looks like she is starting to relax ..... and already loopy doggie grins!! how AWESOME is that.....

i have a loopy dog grin just reading your post and looking at her pictures......

Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
.... she looks so sad and defeated in the first 2 pictures riding in your truck.....
She was!! When I took her to our vet on Friday, she commented on being underweight, commented on her feet being discolored and chalked it up to stress or allergies - but she's stopped chewing on her feet since coming HOME. She called the shelter to get a few clarifications on the paperwork I was sent home with, and one thing the shelter divulged that I had not known before, was that she had been there for over 8 weeks by herself in that cage, after being picked up as a stray being on the streets fending for herself for what they say had to be a decent amount of time. Her owner (she was chipped and scanned) at first said he was coming to get her. And didn't show up. Then said yes yes he was coming he just ran into a bit of an emergency. And didn't show up. Then called them back one night saying she was a good dog, he was sure they could work something out, and just to "do what's best for her", because he wasn't going to come for her after all. I hope for her sake, that the staff there never got her hopes up everytime he almost came back to take her away. It broke my heart listening to her previous owner shirking his responsibilities. I don't want to know what it would have done to hers.

Like I said, it's baby steps. She was so haunted for the first few days, I felt like I just needed to wrap myself around her and hold her and tell her everything would be alright now. It would always be alright now.

Some nights I pull her out of her doggy bed and she gets under the blankets with me to sleep. Head on the pillow, tail wagging in the sheets When I wake up in the morning she's always back in her doggy bed curled up.

She's a good dog.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,094,312 times
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although that second picture just about killed me like a knife in the heart, that third picture was all love.

I'm so happy that Corny is settling in so well. Love, Love, LOVE!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,062,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
She was!! When I took her to our vet on Friday, she commented on being underweight, commented on her feet being discolored and chalked it up to stress or allergies - but she's stopped chewing on her feet since coming HOME. She called the shelter to get a few clarifications on the paperwork I was sent home with, and one thing the shelter divulged that I had not known before, was that she had been there for over 8 weeks by herself in that cage, after being picked up as a stray being on the streets fending for herself for what they say had to be a decent amount of time. Her owner (she was chipped and scanned) at first said he was coming to get her. And didn't show up. Then said yes yes he was coming he just ran into a bit of an emergency. And didn't show up. Then called them back one night saying she was a good dog, he was sure they could work something out, and just to "do what's best for her", because he wasn't going to come for her after all. I hope for her sake, that the staff there never got her hopes up everytime he almost came back to take her away. It broke my heart listening to her previous owner shirking his responsibilities. I don't want to know what it would have done to hers.

Like I said, it's baby steps. She was so haunted for the first few days, I felt like I just needed to wrap myself around her and hold her and tell her everything would be alright now. It would always be alright now.

Some nights I pull her out of her doggy bed and she gets under the blankets with me to sleep. Head on the pillow, tail wagging in the sheets When I wake up in the morning she's always back in her doggy bed curled up.

She's a good dog.

10 years old and the moron does that to her ..... GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!

for pete's sake, get that chip transferred to you NOW, if you haven't already.... in the highly unlikely event that you and she do get separated, you don't want him to have a THING to say about her fate... he gave up that right a LONG LONG time ago......

give her a hug from me and from bailey and from dave and from charlie and from max ..... my 4 all know what shelter life was like and they can tell her how wonderful her new loving and forever home is going to be......

and i am SO looking forward to more pictures of her.....

Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,379,993 times
Congrats on Corn-dog she's beooootiful BTW, if your first post you mentioned Lyme's what are you doing for it???

Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Congrats on Corn-dog she's beooootiful BTW, if your first post you mentioned Lyme's what are you doing for it???
The vet re-tested for it, and it came up again as a "weak positive". She explained that it means she was exposed to it in the past, but may not necessarily "have" it. She gave me a little pamphlet with some literature on it, listing side effects, and what to watch out for, and when I take her back in to start her on her heartworm medication (the vet wanted her to put a little bit more weight back on first) she said we can check again. If it remains weak, we don't have to do anything. If it gets worse or stronger, we will find out. She got her bordatello, lepto something (to protect against kidney and renal issues), and a distemper booster on this last visit. I'm sure I didn't spell any of that right, lol.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 09-21-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,061,137 times
That's so great to see the pics! She was probably wondering where she was going in your car...hmmm...maybe to another shelter into another cage. Surprise, surprise, a wonderful home!! And I see she gets along with your kitty! You're awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs