Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times

Advertisements

My 16 year old is always hungry, sniffs and licks the floor half the day. Stares at me. Never finishes her food. I give her the good stuff (Blue or similar - I've tried different brands), even mixed some rice in, she still doesn't finish. Up until a few months ago, we never had this problem. Is she just sick and tired of dog food? I'm not gonna cook for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 AM

268 posts, read 704,086 times
Dont cook for her. Here is what I would do, I would immediately take her off dog food and start raw feeding. Please check out the threads already posted on this subject.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
When was the last time she was at the vet? At 16 I would be concerned that something else is going on besides just not likeing her food. Maybe she is at a point that she doesn't need to eat as much as she used to.

I would add some can food in and see if that helps.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
At 14 Jazz is not the chow hound she use to be. She still loves dog snacks but food she eats about 1/2 of it so I have been feeding her half of her normal amount. I think their metabolism starts to slow down and she is not as active as she was when she was younger.Old dogs seem to be not as hungry or maybe their sense of smell and taste start diminishing like it does in elderly people? If you have not seen the vet recently you might want to have a blood panel done to make sure there are not any health issues.

I mix the merrick can food into the dry and in her younger days Jazz would be dancing up a storm as she waited for Grammy's Pot pie now she looks at it like " Oh well if that is what is being served guess I have to eat it" But since she eats enough to maintain her weight and her last blood tests were OK I am not too concerned and write it off to old age.( heck my dad at 86 eats a fraction of what he use to eat too!). I have noticed if she eats shortly after a walk she does tend to eat with more gusto so we go on a walk before dinner now.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I wonder if she might have a loose tooth or some other tooth problem

Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,140 times
I would take her to the vet just in case, but also try softening her food with water. My greyhound mix is down to just 6 teeth, and we add water to her food and she is able to wolf it down.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
I also thought teeth or gums.

If there's no physical reason found for this change, then I'd suggest you cut back on the amount you offer at any one time. Only offer her less than she'll actually finish as well as offering more frequently if possible (ie, same total amount, just portioned up into small meals she can deal with). She may just be finding it difficult to cope with quantity.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 PM

She has congestive heart failure, and one of the later symptoms is loss of appetite, but she's not at that stage yet. I can see she's hungry, she just doesn't want what's in her dish (she wants what's in the other dogs' dishes). I do put water in with it, I have been putting more canned and rice and less dry, but I can try stopping the dry altogether. I was wondering about her teeth too but she still wants a rawhide chew every night and she still eats them.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
My 8 y.o. dog has always been a picky eater (she'd rather play than eat) but if I sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top of her kibble, she gobbles it right up. I'm talking nice parmesan...not that flaky Kraft stuff. She's a bit of a cheese snob.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:03 PM

LOL too funny. Ivy likes bread or the "dog gravy" and I've tried to mix it in her food but once she gets in her head that she doesn't want it, then forget it. I have to watch her salt intake and I think cheese is salty. I got a sample pack of Rachael Ray's Nutrish and she gobbled that up, so I have to see where that is sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs