Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
And, your response hits a nerve with me.

My parents right now are dealing with trying to sell their home, and are in pretty dire straits. Should they need it, they have a condo that they could move into that does not allow dogs. What in the WORLD are they supposed to do should it come to them having to go to the condo? Should they sell the condo, and be able to live for about 5 years JUST so they can keep their dog, or should they try to find the best home for him, considering the circumstances, and have a place where they know that they won't end up on the street?

You see, this is what REALLY gets to me about certain people in "rescue". They have absolutely no concept about what certain people go through when they have to give up pets. Personally, I think that the attitude is absolutely reprehensible.

Fortunately, my parents would NEVER have to give their dog to a "rescue" who would give them a guilt trip for doing what they need to do in order to survive. They have friends and family who actually understand the HUMAN aspect of things, and would take in the dog and care for him terrifically without EVER making a judgment about them.

Do YOU have any concept about how hard it is for people in their early 70's to know that what they have worked for their entire lives has been eaten away, and yes, how difficult it would be for them to have to live without the dog? Obviously, you don't, and that's just tragic.

After reading posts like yours, I'm making damned sure that should something happen to me, or if, God forbid, I shouldn't be able to take care of my pets, they are not going to end up in a place that is more concerned with animal welfare than human welfare.

These are NOT human children. They are ANIMALS. And, frankly, anyone who would say that human welfare should come after the animals has their priorities severely screwed up.

And, like you, I will NOT apologize for my position.
You don't know anything about me or what I have gone through in my life. As a matter of fact, yes- I know EXACTLY what its like to lose everything. Home, job, money, all gone. Been there - done that. It would have been easier on me to dump my dogs but I had made a commitment to their welfare and as upside down as my life was, I wouldn't comprimise my convictions for the sake of what was easiest. Preach to me all you want but until you have lived through it, you don't know. I didn't throw them away and was glad that I didn't.

Obviously dogs are not humans. Never said they were. But a commitment is a commitment. There is too much of a "throw away mentality" in today's society. Lets do whats easiest and not whats right. Throw away people and throw away pets. To me its sad and I will never agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 AM

21 posts, read 28,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have yet to find any of these rescues to which you are referring. I have never been turned down, because I have always refused to give them my personal financial and employment information. I take a look at the application they hand me, and hand it right back to them - blank. That is simply beyond the pale.

I am also not discouraging anyone from adopting. People should first look at adopting before purchasing, but they will have a lot more success adopting if they expanded their horizons beyond so-called "rescues." When looking for a new dog, I always start with the local pound or animal control center. I also check Craig's List for any "unwanted" puppies. Some times it can take 2 or 3 weeks to find the right dog. If someone is looking for a specific breed, then they should go directly to a breeder. Personally, I like mutts as much as pure breeds, it makes no difference to me.

I support getting people the pet they want, if that means buying one from a puppy mill, or Petland, or out of the back of a pick-up truck in the grocery store parking lot, then that is what they should do. The LAST thing I want to see is a monopoly by intrusive "rescue" elitists who will only issue you a pet if you measure up to their impossible criteria.

So I can not support any legislation or ordinance that would give "rescues" that monopoly.
Our society today is one of instant gratification. Today's impulse purchase from a pet store, an ad in the paper or on the internet, or from the back of someone's pick-up truck becomes a burden on rescues and shelters. These types will sell to anyone with cash in hand without any care or consideration of the dog's future. Rescues and shelters set criterias to find the best match that will be a forever home.

An ordinance such as banning the retail sales of pets in stores does not give rescues a monopoly. If someone wanted to forego adoption and wanted to purchase, there are reputable breeders that care and love their breed. They breed for quality and follow a strict code of ethics. They are required to genetically test before breeding, test and medically certify the puppies, provide a clean and nurturing living environment, are very selective as to who purchases the puppy (most follow similar guidelines that the rescues do) and require all puppies they sell as companion pets must be spayed/neutered by 9 months of age and they must hold registration papers on these puppies until the purchaser shows proof.

The puppy mills that you are so proudly supporting breed in mass quantity with no regard to the health or well being of the dogs or puppies. These are the ones that are selling to pet stores, on the internet, at auctions and flea markets. These puppies are sick with contagious illnesses and disease. Many of these puppies die before making it to their destinations. Of those that do make it and are bought, most have health issues days, months or years later that require costly vet care that these families are ill equipped to handle, leaving them heart broken and in debt. And at that point, most of these once cute puppies are euthanized, dumped or abandoned, taken to the pound or turned over to a rescue.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 AM

Petland in El Paso has filed a $2.5 million lawsuit against 4 volunteers of local rescue groups. This is a new low even for Petland. Going after those who give of themselves unselfishly and who refused to remain silent when city council voted to pass tougher restrictions on animal sales in our city. These individuals were served with the lawsuit one day before the city council vote yet courageously spoke up in support of the new ordinance. They refused to be silenced by Petland. The lawsuit is filled with false accusations and even goes as far as accusing these individuals of assulting Petland employees with violence. And of course, Petland is such a "reputable" local business they would never lie, would they? (LOL)

Here is the news article:
Petland sues, says it will close Jan. 1 - By Marty Schladen \ El Paso Times

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosmommie View Post
Petland in El Paso has filed a $2.5 million lawsuit against 4 volunteers of local rescue groups. This is a new low even for Petland. Going after those who give of themselves unselfishly and who refused to remain silent when city council voted to pass tougher restrictions on animal sales in our city. These individuals were served with the lawsuit one day before the city council vote yet courageously spoke up in support of the new ordinance. They refused to be silenced by Petland. The lawsuit is filled with false accusations and even goes as far as accusing these individuals of assulting Petland employees with violence. And of course, Petland is such a "reputable" local business they would never lie, would they? (LOL)

Good for Petland! If these so-called "rescues" go around slandering businesses with unfounded accusations, they should be sued. Manufacturing lies and making baseless claims in order to drive out all competition may be the way to get ordinances passed, but that sort of illegal behavior will not be tolerated by the courts. I truly hope Petland takes them for everything they own and drives them into the gutter where they belong.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosmommie View Post

and i'm guessing that petland has absolute proof about where each and every single one of its puppies come from?? sure' they can be "licensed," but that means diddly..... as we've seen over and over again from busts of federally licensed mills......

Quote:
Good for Petland! If these so-called "rescues" go around slandering businesses with unfounded accusations, they should be sued. Manufacturing lies and making baseless claims in order to drive out all competition may be the way to get ordinances passed, but that sort of illegal behavior will not be tolerated by the courts. I truly hope Petland takes them for everything they own and drives them into the gutter where they belong.
somehow, i doubt that accusations are unfounded..... and its not slander if its the truth.....

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Petland has a proven histroy and track record of half-truths and out right lies. 5 ordinary people standing on a street corner holding signs that say "Adopt. Don't Shop" and "USDA licensed is still a puppy mill" is not slander. No reference to Petland on any of the signs They were on public property, out of view of Petland, had a permit and followed the city's requirements to hold a peaceful demonstration. So no slander there. Petland claims one individual "assulted employees with violence". If this did happen, it would have made the news, a police reprot would be on file and the store secruity camera would have recorded it. News flash........no one ever contacted the media to say this happened, no police report was ever filed about an assult, and Petland has somehow "lost" the security tape. The truth, it never happened. Yet Petland files a $2.5 million lawsuit. These people Petland is suing have families, jobs, responsibilities like you and me. They give back to the community by volunteering at local rescues. That is their only crime. And the last I checked with our legal system, volunteering is not a crime. They have never publicly stated anything about Petland. If 5 ordinary people can stand on a street corner holding a sign do that much damage to a business, then these people must be super heros or have magical powers.

Moderator cut: personal attack if you are wishing that Petland takes these innocent, yes they are innocent, people for everything they have. In Petland's little warpped fantasy world, all of their puppies romp around in daisy filled green pastures where they are all given love and affection. But in the real world, which the rest of us live in, these dogs and puppies live in filthy, cramped cages or rabbit hutches, are rarely fed and given no type of love or affection. That is a proven fact. So the only one going around with unfounded and slanderous accusations is Petland. And that my friend is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-12-2010 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
somehow, i doubt that accusations are unfounded..... and its not slander if its the truth.....
Of course they are unfounded. Petland has never released the source for its puppies and kittens that it sells, therefore any accusation that they were obtained from "puppy mills" or treated cruelly is sheer speculation and slander. Saying it is true does not make it so, as those being sued are about to find out. Their irrational hatred of all competition is going to cost them dearly.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
if the sources for their puppies are so above board, then why won't Petland reveal them?? show them off, even.... if i was being falsely accused of such terrible actions, you bet i would dispute as loudly and publically as i could..... the signs described are the TRUTH.... and nothing else.....

i just posted a rather lengthy comment about a mill here in missouri that is selling off EIGHT HUNDRED dogs because their operation has been exposed (at least partially) by a news reporter .... i also think the prospect of prop b passing has them nervous.... they might have to actually take MINIMALLY HUMANE care of the dogs on whose reproductive organs they support themselves.....

gotta go with bingosmommie on this one.... i have seen with my own eyes the fathers and mothers of these puppies or others like them .... and it ain't pretty...... guess there is no such problem in alaska.....

Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Of course they are unfounded. Petland has never released the source for its puppies and kittens that it sells, therefore any accusation that they were obtained from "puppy mills" or treated cruelly is sheer speculation and slander. Saying it is true does not make it so, as those being sued are about to find out. Their irrational hatred of all competition is going to cost them dearly.
I don't know what it is like in Alaska, but here in the lower 48 states, there is no "irrational hatred of all competition". Most of the rescues work TOGETHER with each other as well as with retail pet stores in an effort to promote "animal welfare" and "adopt". There is no conspiracy for rescues to have a "monoply". That will never happen because of irresponsible pet owners and those that see only the value of the "sale" of a puppy/dog and not the value of the actual life of that puppy/dog. The reason Petland does not release the source of their puppies is because their dirty little secret is already out. They now prey on the ones who are either blind to the fact or are unaware of the truth. There was a time when Petland would proudly state that their puppies come from the best of the best breeders and the puppies were raised in pristine conditions. That was before they were exposed. Now all they can claim is that the puppies come from USDA licensed breeders. And with the latest scathing 2010 USDA report about the licensed breeders (complete with actual pictures taken by actual USDA inspectors) even the USDA has called these licensed breeding facilities appalling where not even the most rudimentary of conditions are found. Repeated violations after violations after violations from every breeder is on record. The USDA's Office of Inspector General testifed in Washington DC earlier this year and said "Our office conducted an internal audit of the USDA's enforcement of puppy mills and our audit concluded that we can not ensure the humane care and treatment of animals at dealer or breeder facilities, also known as puppy mills, as required by the AWA" . So it's official.........USDA licensed is still a puppy mill! Straight from the USDA's mouth. Petland gets their puppies from USDA licensed breeders, USDA calls these breeders puppy mills, so that equals Petland get's their puppies from puppy mills. Once again, even if any of these volunteers even stated that, they have not slandered anyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Just a note on "monopoly", here the PetSmart has the Humane Society in one or two Saturdays per month with adoptable dogs. Bought, found, bred, or adopted pets need food and gear and PetSmart is smart enough to realize what a PR advantage that is. Not defending PetSmart on any other grounds, just stating the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs