Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM

21 posts, read 28,310 times

Advertisements

In El Paso, Texas there are several businesses that open their doors and hold adoption events in conjunction with the local rescue groups and shelters. The list includes:
El Paso Saddle Blanket
Mission Chevrolet
PetSmart
Pet's Barn
Walgreen's

All of these businesses donate time, space, and other necessities to local rescues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
petsmart and petco here hold adoption events nearly every weekend.... both days, most times......

and i have to wonder what petland's profit margin on puppies is..... if the fact that their sale is outlawed is going to put them out of business..... i have never been to one of these stores, but i imagine they sell all kinds of kibble and supplies too......

Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
if the sources for their puppies are so above board, then why won't Petland reveal them??
Because we live in the United State of America where the accuser must prove guilt, not the other way around. If I accused you of robbing a bank, would you now be required to prove that you did not? Of course not. Since I made the accusation, I would be required to put up or shut up. The same applies to those making accusations against Petland. If they have no evidence whatsoever, Petland is going to own them. They will be forced to sell their homes and whatever assets they have in order to compensate Petland for the reckless and irresponsible damage they caused.

Quote:
show them off, even.... if i was being falsely accused of such terrible actions, you bet i would dispute as loudly and publically as i could..... the signs described are the TRUTH.... and nothing else.....
The signs were sheer speculation. Without any evidence to support their claim they are utterly baseless. Which makes them liable for slander.

Quote:
i just posted a rather lengthy comment about a mill here in missouri that is selling off EIGHT HUNDRED dogs because their operation has been exposed (at least partially) by a news reporter .... i also think the prospect of prop b passing has them nervous.... they might have to actually take MINIMALLY HUMANE care of the dogs on whose reproductive organs they support themselves.....

gotta go with bingosmommie on this one.... i have seen with my own eyes the fathers and mothers of these puppies or others like them .... and it ain't pretty...... guess there is no such problem in alaska.....
In Alaska we don't go around accusing others of committing crimes without having a shred of evidence to support those accusations. People need to learn that saying something is true does not make it true. When their baseless accusations cost someone their job or their business, they had better be prepared to compensate them for their loss.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Just a note on "monopoly", here the PetSmart has the Humane Society in one or two Saturdays per month with adoptable dogs. Bought, found, bred, or adopted pets need food and gear and PetSmart is smart enough to realize what a PR advantage that is. Not defending PetSmart on any other grounds, just stating the facts.
Banning the retail sale of puppies and kittens in the City of El Paso gives a monopoly to these so-called "rescues." That not only includes Petland, but also PetSmart, Pet Barn, PetCo, or any other retailer in the City of El Paso. These self-proclaimed "rescues" want to be, and now are, the sole determiner on who is allowed to have a pet and who isn't in the City of El Paso, and I find that completely unacceptable.

Fortunately, this stupidity is isolated to just one backward, irresponsible city and residents can drive to the next town to buy their pets. So besides depriving the City of El Paso of $1.5 million in tax revenues, putting 15 people out of work, upsetting and inconveniencing the community, and giving a monopoly to so-called "rescues" in that town, what did they actually accomplish?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Because we live in the United State of America where the accuser must prove guilt, not the other way around. If I accused you of robbing a bank, would you now be required to prove that you did not? Of course not. Since I made the accusation, I would be required to put up or shut up. The same applies to those making accusations against Petland. If they have no evidence whatsoever, Petland is going to own them. They will be forced to sell their homes and whatever assets they have in order to compensate Petland for the reckless and irresponsible damage they caused.

The signs were sheer speculation. Without any evidence to support their claim they are utterly baseless. Which makes them liable for slander.

In Alaska we don't go around accusing others of committing crimes without having a shred of evidence to support those accusations. People need to learn that saying something is true does not make it true. When their baseless accusations cost someone their job or their business, they had better be prepared to compensate them for their loss.
How does a sign that says "Adopt, Don't Shop" or another that says "USDA licensed still means puppy mill" (or words to that effect) constitute slander?? one is the public expression of a personal opinion.... sort of like those anti-choice people picketing women's health clinics...... the other is true far more times than not......

and part of the problem is that it is NOT illegal to buy from puppy mills, as long as they are "licensed" .... so again, no accusations of CRIMINAL activity..... just distasteful activity.....

if you publically accused me of robbing a bank, you better believe that i would publically defend myself and my professional reputation with every weapon in my arsenal..... including irrefutable proof that i did not rob the bank .... or buy the puppies from a mill.....

Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
How does a sign that says "Adopt, Don't Shop" or another that says "USDA licensed still means puppy mill" (or words to that effect) constitute slander?? one is the public expression of a personal opinion.... sort of like those anti-choice people picketing women's health clinics...... the other is true far more times than not......
Slander is an untruthful spoken statement about a person or business that harms the person's or business' reputation or standing in the community. A false statement that injures someone’s reputation and exposes them to public contempt, hatred, ridicule, or condemnation is also called defamation. If the false statement is published in print or through broadcast media, such as radio or TV, it is called libel.

Again, it is up to the accuser making the accusations to prove them true. The accused does not have to prove innocence. Since these protests and false accusations of Petland buying their dogs from "puppy mills" began in March 2008, a month before the Petland even opened, I have every confidence that Petland can demonstrate satisfactorily to the court that the accusations were indeed false and completely unfounded.

Quote:
and part of the problem is that it is NOT illegal to buy from puppy mills, as long as they are "licensed" .... so again, no accusations of CRIMINAL activity..... just distasteful activity.....

if you publically accused me of robbing a bank, you better believe that i would publically defend myself and my professional reputation with every weapon in my arsenal..... including irrefutable proof that i did not rob the bank .... or buy the puppies from a mill.....
Whether puppy mills are legal or not is irrelevant. Merely the false accusation that Petland buys its pets from "puppy mills" is defamation and grounds for a civil suit.

Quote:
Twenty years ago, people knew that a "puppy mill" was a substandard kennel where unhealthy, overbred dogs were kept in horrendous conditions.

Today it's not so easy. In the last decade of the 20th Century, activist groups began to broaden the term to cover just about any kennel that they didn't like. As a result, commercial kennels and hobby breeders with more than an arbitrary number of dogs or litters have become targets for anti-breeding groups that lobby for laws to restrict these law-abiding operations. These organizations stir up public support for breeding restrictions and high license fees by deliberately blurring the lines between responsible breeding operations and real puppy mills. They use emotional rhetoric and pictures of dirty kennels and sickly dogs to imply that most or all breeders will subject their dogs to abusive lives unless they are regulated.

Source: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/puppymil.html
Those who are out to destroy someone's business or reputation, without providing a shred of evidence to support their accusations, will get what they deserve - financial ruin.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:43 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
I can't stand "pet rescue" groups. I was going to adopt a dog, and filled out a three page application, the woman of the group wanted to come to my home and "inspect" my house, and then, I was told because I had a full time job, I was not a good candidate for a dog.

Then, for a cat, it was going to cost me $50, like, I thought that they wanted the cats to have homes...Both of these rescue organizations were located at Petco.

I ended up getting a cat on Craigslist, for free. And he came with food, a cat box, and a carrier. He is fixed and declawed.

So, no wonder people buy dogs from places that are not great. If I really wanted a dog I would have gone some place else...because I don't need to have a home inspectino, and be told I am not good enough to rescue a dog. Just pay cash, bring home a dog. No three page application. These people are not doing the dogs a favor, and in my case, would have driven me to support a puppy mill.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,949,550 times
Glitch.. have a look at a puppy mill and know that 96% of all akc dogs come from breeders like this .. PUPPY MILLERS who just dont give a damn about the dogs its about money and its about places like petco that still buy from these places .,..

PUPPY MILLERS

the biggest transporter of puppies is a place called "HUNTE Corp.." another miller and broker for WHO.. oh that would be petland ..

Heres a Miller and from her own mouth she tells you where the pups she breeds are sold to and who the brokers are .. you should watch .. you will learn stuff you can never forget ..
Miller who sells to Hunte Corp and Petland

I wouldnt be to quick to defend a place like petland they have been caught several times with selling mill bred dogs and laws and truth that stops them from the sleazy side of business is fair and I believe needed .. ..
btw Glitch .. its places like petland that are the reason for our pet over population .. .. Its Americas fault to because we buy and dont relize the facts or if we relize we ingore .. have a look at the links and tell me if we should still feel sorry for Petland ..

Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 AM

410 posts, read 743,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I can't stand "pet rescue" groups. I was going to adopt a dog, and filled out a three page application, the woman of the group wanted to come to my home and "inspect" my house, and then, I was told because I had a full time job, I was not a good candidate for a dog.

Then, for a cat, it was going to cost me $50, like, I thought that they wanted the cats to have homes...Both of these rescue organizations were located at Petco.

I ended up getting a cat on Craigslist, for free. And he came with food, a cat box, and a carrier. He is fixed and declawed.

So, no wonder people buy dogs from places that are not great. If I really wanted a dog I would have gone some place else...because I don't need to have a home inspectino, and be told I am not good enough to rescue a dog. Just pay cash, bring home a dog. No three page application. These people are not doing the dogs a favor, and in my case, would have driven me to support a puppy mill.
First of all, you should have to be screened before you adopt a pet. People that are able and willing to take care of them properly should have no problem with that. Second, adoptions cost money because that's how the rescue groups make money to support their animals, and rescue pets almost always come current on vaccines and are spayed/neutered.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM

19,545 posts, read 9,561,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I hear where you're coming from. Child adoptions aren't any different. The people who want to adopt have to go through all these hoops and red tape, and home inspections, etc., but there's some homes of children born of their real moms and dads that could stand to be looked into.

Had you checked out any of the Humane Societies in your local areas? Some are more relaxed than others, I guess it just depends on which ones. I really can understand how the breeders and all don't want their dogs to get in the hands of the unscrupulous types - those that turn around and try to sell the dog/cat to labs [as in laboratories].

Sometimes a recommendation from a veternarian may be helpful in obtaining a pet from a shelter/rescue. Depending on whether you already have or had a pet in your household and the circumstances for getting another one. It's tough when you've moved from one state to another though but I suppose it's not too difficult for the agency to make contact with the previous vet out of state. I'd think it's great to save a cat/dog from 'death row' at some of these shelters, not because they're ill but simply due to lack of room at these facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs