Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,061,870 times

Advertisements

One dog tonight wasn't well (also depressed from loosing his ill dog mate) and finally was able to get out. He/she was sniffing on my dog and he took a snip at the dog. He was the one who pulled me over to meet the dog. Usually he likes to sniff and meet the other dogs, I thought. Earlier today were were in another neighborhood visiting (I was at work) and I walked him around there. We met a 7 month old white German Shepard. The same thing happened for some reason, I think. I did see him show his teeth, what does that mean~? Also, he has done this to the **** Tsu (sp) in the neighborhood. He was the first one to meet the dog when he moved in. An older couple got the dog from their son. The elderly man had surgery and wouldn't excerise, so the dog has helped. Before, he use to bike ride and kind of quit all forms of excerise when he had surgery. Anyways, the dog is helping and he is a sweet dog but my dog puts him into a wrestling hold for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
How old was your dog? What type of dog? What size?

What was he sick from when he was ill? How long was he sick and how long was he kept inside?

Does he get socialized often? Does he get to play with other dogs off leash that don't live with him?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How old was your dog? What type of dog? What size?

What was he sick from when he was ill? How long was he sick and how long was he kept inside?

Does he get socialized often? Does he get to play with other dogs off leash that don't live with him?

My dog is 3 years old and is a Yorkshire Terrier. He's never nipped at other dogs before. My dog socializes a lot and does agility. I am not sure about the other dog who is ill. My neighbors bring their dogs over and he does play off leash and chase each other around.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
I understand now. The dog that just got over being ill was a dog your dog nipped at. I thought your dog had been ill. I misread.

It's a Yorkshire Terrier. Little dogs are usually nippy with bigger dogs. It's not like your dog is doing serious damage to a German Shepard---even a 7 month old puppy is bigger than your dog.

I had a peek-a-poo who would get under large dogs and bite at their stomachs. Scared me to death. Those big dogs could have killed her with one bite!

The ****zu encounter sounds like normal wrestling dominance. They're similar in size. I'd let them work it out as long as it doesn't get nasty.

But I'd keep your dog away from big dogs unless you know they get along----just for the safety of your own dog. You don't want a big dog deciding to put your little dog in it's place.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I understand now. The dog that just got over being ill was a dog your dog nipped at. I thought your dog had been ill. I misread.

It's a Yorkshire Terrier. Little dogs are usually nippy with bigger dogs. It's not like your dog is doing serious damage to a German Shepard---even a 7 month old puppy is bigger than your dog.

I had a peek-a-poo who would get under large dogs and bite at their stomachs. Scared me to death. Those big dogs could have killed her with one bite!

The ****zu encounter sounds like normal wrestling dominance. They're similar in size. I'd let them work it out as long as it doesn't get nasty.

But I'd keep your dog away from big dogs unless you know they get along----just for the safety of your own dog. You don't want a big dog deciding to put your little dog in it's place.
My Yorkshire Terrier isn't the normal type. He's quiet and wants to socialize with other dogs. Plus, he does agility. His buddy in the neighborhood is a Lab/Husky. All this is outside of his home. At home inside of a fenced area, he's barking at the neighbors playing basketball or them just being outside. So all of this behavior he's doing isn't normal of what I questioned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs