Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,441,838 times

Advertisements

Six to eight weeks on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
Heres a thought .... Most dogs get along great on 3 legs... NOT talking about removing the leg!! .... So when it does bother her just let her limp. She knows her pain level & wont use it til its better! I would NOT put her thru operation at her age! My gf chiX hurt his leg. When he start limping she put it in a sling! After a few days he be fine... Got so when the leg hurt he Bring her the sling! When was ok he take it off LOL

Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,636,469 times
Exclamation Cattle dog / White Shepherd mix...

She was about five years old and weighed about sixty/sixty five pounds when she tore her first ACL. It was going to cost me $500 but she was worth every penny and I had it fixed. A could of years later, she tore her other ACL... and I had it fixed, too for another $500..and she again was worth every penny.

The thought of her being a tripod when I could fix the problem really bothered me so I fixed it...both times. Later on, she ended up with arthritis in her hips and her knees got a little stiff over time. After all, she thought at one time she had springs for knees...and did not. Aspirin can be used for the short term but it caused ligimate damage. Other NSAIDS are toxic so you need to talk with your vet.

Rimydil can shut down the function of the liver and or kidneys, so can the generic Carprofen. I know, I've lost two dogs to those drugs. (The most recent in late June of this year...sad part, if I had been better informed, it could have been avoided.) Pfizer offers reimbursement for vet bills if it kills your dogs there have been so many law suits. (Check it out for yourself.) That tells me there is something seriously wrong but they continue to give it to animals. It seems to effect senior dogs the most and has an extreme adverse reaction to Labradors, too. They do not know why, only that it does. (Side note, I have a new vet.)

We are the ONLY advocates for our fur-friends. If we don't speak up, no one else will.

Only you can decide what is right for your fur-friend/child...but at least you can make a better informed decision!

Edit: add website link

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html

Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 11,325 times
I have an 11 year old golden just recently diagnosd with a torn knee ligament. After reading the past posts I am going to try and see if this heals on its own. I am seeing some improvemennt as this is day three. Any further updates on progress from anyone with an older dog as to surgery versus normal healing?

We are going to be giving him the pain and prescribed treatments.I am finding at this age he is not very active anyway.

Thougts here from past experiences. He weighs 100 lbs so I know we need to get his weight down.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,222,254 times
My yorkie had a tear when he was 8 yo. I had his repaired because his leg was just hanging to the side. Since he had it repaired he has had no further problems. I am lucky tho I live in an area where vet costs are reasonable.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,323,858 times
Dr. Howard Rand, B.S. pharm, D.V.M.

He had offices in Marietta Ga and Bradenton FL. But you can contact his office for referrals.

I had 2 weimaraners who tore ACLs at separate times. I went the surgical route with the first, it went OK but cost. She took so long to heal.

Then I found Dr Rand who does holistic and alternative vet care in addition to medical care. including acupuncture. He did acupuncture of the first and she finished her recovery really well. Then my other one tore the ACL and Dr Rand did his own technicque - holistic. My dog recovered very well, minimal intervention, and did fine.

We moved to Orlando and he was having problems so I found a vet who did acupuncture to help with his arthritis. She immediately recognized Dr Rand's work and said that he had pioneered the technique.

My dog is an 18 year old weimaraner and he is still doing OK. I would do it again.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM

857 posts, read 2,218,506 times
My dog had his ACl repaired it cost us $5000 for the two legs.
He did well after surgery.

We opted for this because he is such a active dog.

Now almost 12 years old.

Do not do a TPLO,it has been linked to bone cancer in dogs.

Google info/do research.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 11,325 times
Weel we elected to not have the surgery and my Golden is doing just fine. The limp is much better after only two weeks.

I see improvement everyday. He even ran a bit and jumped.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,513 times
Our just turned 3 year old Saint Bernese has the start of an ACL tear. Two vets both recommend surgery but the second one isn't persistent in timeline. I have been reading and researching that some (many) dogs heal on their own with rest and restricted activity. I just might go that route, cuz with not even a complete tear at this point, what's the harm in waiting and doing conventional care?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
Bailey did tear the right knee in January, 2011 and then re-tore the left one shortly thereafter..... It took a little over a year of slow healing, and gradually walking short then a little longer then a little longer distances.... but she is fine now.... running around and up and down hills and through creeks and across fields and through woods like it never happened. She does still use a ramp to get into the car, but otherwise, has no limitations on her activity...... she just turned 8 a couple of weeks ago.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs