Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,864,352 times

Advertisements

Why can't people who own dogs all try to be considerate of their neighbors and not allow their dogs to sit outside and bark all day? Some barking sure, dogs do that but sometimes when it goes on and on it gets really irritating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,068,193 times
I hear you (no pun intended ).

We have a fenced-in backyard but Artie's a barker. That means he's not allowed in the backyard before 9am or past 8pm. Before and after those times (and in that window of time as well), we walk around the neighborhood instead.

That said, on our 6am walk, we go by a house that has a little yapper (along with the most silent dog ever). That yapper is out doing her yapping thing, sometimes even before 6am. I can't imagine what the people next door or across the street must think, in their sleepy state. I imagine that they're contemplating murder, especially on weekend mornings.

Very inconsiderate, indeed.

ETA: Artie is not out in the backyard unsupervised. I always have one eye (and ear) on him. As soon as he starts barking? Inside he goes.

ETA2: Our town has a "five-minute rule" in that your dog can bark for five minutes at a time, and then the dog must be brought inside. That said, people can just let the dog back out a few minutes later, but I live among very considerate people. In my cul-de-sac of 150 houses, there are 44 dogs. That could get pretty crazy, but it hasn't. Maybe your town has such an ordinance?

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-11-2010 at 07:03 AM..

Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
One reason we DON'T ever leave our dog in an outdoor run, much as he'd love it, is because he is a hound breed and would make a racket all day long at every squirrel, rabbit, or neighborhood cat to shortcut through our yard and really tick off the neighbors. I grew up on a farm, where our dogs could roam and bark and frolic to their hearts' content, because the nearest neighbor who might be bothered was a good two miles away, and his dogs were doing the same thing, anyway. But that's just not viable in your average in-town situation.

That said, dogs bark. It's life. But barking dogs should definitely not be left outside all day in a high-population environment with close neighbors. What's not reasonable is neighbors who are intolerant of ANY noise (or activity) from a dog. Dogs are not, generally, outlawed. Their barking does not all fall under a given municipality's nuisance ordinance. We live on a dog-heavy block...unfortunately for the man who lives at the end of the block, he doesn't enjoy dogs...even seeing them being walked, leashed. People with pets do have a responsibility to follow basic courtesy and legal ordinance guidelines. But people without pets also need to realize that it's not illegal to have dogs, and it's not illegal for dogs to bark. Cities may have restrictions on when dogs can be outside, barking in a sustained manner(I believe in our area, it's before 8 a.m. and after 10 p.m.). But if my dog barks at a rabbit on our walk, it's just kind of how it is.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,864,352 times
I have dogs of my own, I am either outside with them or I bring them in if I leave them out and they bark. Mine are probably indoors 90% + of the day because they are spoiled rotten and would bark. We don't have fences here but I do have a dog pen in the yard. I either walk the dogs around the yard on a leash or I will put them in the pen for a bit. They will bark at people or other dogs or if they get bored or want back in. But... I certainly will not let them sit out there and bark and I never leave them out if we are gone.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Agreed. We used to live next to some a-hole neighbors who let their dogs have a 'doggie door.' Those damn dogs would come out and start barking at us (or our dogs) every time we set foot in our back yard. It was a nightmare. Then our puppy would start barking back and a horrible downward spiral would ensue. The really ridiculous part is that the neighbor would complain about OUR dogs' barking (which was only in response to her dogs!)! And we never got to use our back yard!

Before that, we lived next to people who had 5 dogs who all lived outside in a pen with nothing to do an no contact except at feeding time. Guess what they did all day long?

I am in agreement. We have a beautiful, huge back yard. But the dogs are indoors 90+% of the day. They go outside to relieve themselves or with us to play frisbee or swim. They may, on occasion, hang out outside IF they don't make any noise. 20 seconds of barking and their asses are parked back in the house. It's a shame, because it's a great yard with lots to explore, but I'm not putting my neighbors through that.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
While I agree that barking dogs are annoying and that owners should not let it go on and on I have to admitt that your opening line sort of rubs me the wrong way "Why can't people who own dogs all try to be " It makes it sound like all dog owners are the same and are thus grouped into the dog owner category rather then the real issue which is why can't some people be more considerate or responsible..it doesn't need that title dog owners as many of us do control our dogs barking and try to prevent it.

Maybe I am just being too sensitive but after dealing with the dog owners not picking up the dog poop issue a few years ago as we tried to get off leash areas in town has me that way .As there too the issue is not people being irresponsible because they are dog owners but rather irresponsible people owning dogs and trust me they are the same people that leave litter and other messes for others to clean up not just dog poop. So in the case of the barking dogs it is people being inconsiderate of their neighbors which I am willing to bet they often are in other ways too..

Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,971,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Why can't people who own dogs all try to be considerate of their neighbors and not allow their dogs to sit outside and bark all day? Some barking sure, dogs do that but sometimes when it goes on and on it gets really irritating!
Do you live on my street?!!!

The backyard neighbor caddy-corner let their beagle howl for over an hour last night while they were home inside. In fact the dog is only outside when they are home. Their solution, go outside , yell at the dog, go back inside, and ignore dog as it keeps howling in the backyard.

I lost quiet enjoyment of my deck and yard after they moved in 5-6 years ago because they refuse to let their dog in when it howls. Their house is up for sale and it cannot sell fast enough for me. I feel sorry for their next neighbors. Totally selfish people.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:13 PM

142 posts, read 571,729 times
my neighbors like 5 houses down and across the street have 4 little yappers! All they do all day is bark and I am pretty sure they are outside dogs since they are outside all the time. poor things are probably bored.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,742,174 times
I have airhorn trained a few of the neighbors dogs over the years. I picked up a supply of marine compact airhorns on clearance a few years back. After a about two-three days of constant blasts the dogs quiet down. I had a good time when a few of the neighbors came over to complain.

Unfortunately my lab thinks its play time whenever he sees me take down the blaster and head for the back door. Crazy dog.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,068,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I have airhorn trained a few of the neighbors dogs over the years. I picked up a supply of marine compact airhorns on clearance a few years back. After a about two-three days of constant blasts the dogs quiet down. I had a good time when a few of the neighbors came over to complain.

Unfortunately my lab thinks its play time whenever he sees me take down the blaster and head for the back door. Crazy dog.
I got one of those compact air horns in case I run into another coyote on our neighborhood walks. When it arrived, I tested it. I went deaf for a few seconds and Artie didn't even bark (I totally expected him to), with a WTF! look in his eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs