Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 18,031 times

Advertisements

Why is my westie carrying around a stuffed animal and wimpering? He wouldn't put down the toy but instead will pace around the room and seems unsettled. I don't know what's going on in his little head, but would appreciate anyones help or suggestions. His other problem is a fear of our wood floors. He will bark and bark and refuses to walk on the floor even to get to his food is a big problem for him, so I moved his dish to a place tha would be more comfortable for him. I guess he has a lot of hang ups why I don't know, but I really want to help him. Other than these behaviors he is a very happy fun loving dog.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Maybe he doesn't like the slippery wood floor?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
both my dogs do the carry and whimper thing when they have their favortie toys...its usually when there trying to find the safest place to hide said favorite toy (they will also do it with highly prized treats) the crying seems to be a frustration thing when they cant decide where it needs to go.

as for the wood floors this is very normal, dogs have very bad traction on wood floors, try desensitizing him to the floors by placing small thin door mats around the wood floors kind of making paths for him to get form one spot to another...when hes using the mats over the wood floors with no issues spread them out a little further...you want to slowly get to the point where he would have to walk on the floor to get from one mat to another and evnetually you will have no mats at all.

ive used this method with great sucess with a veriety of clients dogs, some take to it straight away, otheres need more time...

but its much the same as you walking on ice...its very uncomfortable and often frightening to have no real traction underfoot...

Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
both my dogs do the carry and whimper thing when they have their favortie toys...its usually when there trying to find the safest place to hide said favorite toy (they will also do it with highly prized treats) the crying seems to be a frustration thing when they cant decide where it needs to go.

as for the wood floors this is very normal, dogs have very bad traction on wood floors, try desensitizing him to the floors by placing small thin door mats around the wood floors kind of making paths for him to get form one spot to another...when hes using the mats over the wood floors with no issues spread them out a little further...you want to slowly get to the point where he would have to walk on the floor to get from one mat to another and evnetually you will have no mats at all.

ive used this method with great sucess with a veriety of clients dogs, some take to it straight away, otheres need more time...

but its much the same as you walking on ice...its very uncomfortable and often frightening to have no real traction underfoot...
yep..... dave does the same thing with a particularly prized bone..... runs all over the house and yard, whimpering, trying to find a satisfactory place to hide it......

Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
100 agree with the above posters. Dylan will carry a stuffed toy with him and whine....wagging his tail...sometimes he lays it in my lap...other times, just carries it from room to room...like searching for a "safe" place to hide it.
Wood floors....yes, he is uncomfortable and feels unsafe on the wood floors. Like you would on a patch of ice. He may or may not get used to the idea. An area rug would help calm his fears..

Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
Rest look like got the toy down and the floor the breeder should have started on all types of surfaces as a pup. I get mine on tile, hardwood,laminate, linoleum, carpet inside and then the decking,concrete,grass, dirt and blacktop outside. If was not on them when a baby may always have that fear. How long are the nails though as that may play a part if to long.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 18,031 times
I don't let his nails get too long and I have been getting them cut more frequently lately. He will also walk on the floor if someone will walk next to him almost as if he needs the encouragement of having us near him. I will try putting the mats on the floor and see if that helps.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
dream i agree the breeder should have exposed him to as many surfaces as possible as a puppy but please do keep in mind, not everyone has hard wood floors or knows someone with hardwood floors to expose them too it.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Lucy, my yorkie, does the same thing. She will get a little bone in her mouth AND a toy and just walk around and around with it. Sometimes I think she is just parading it around in front of Ringo to see if she can get him to chase her; but mostly, I think she just likes to do it.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Our female westie had been fixed as a pup but when she got in her advanced years she seemed to get "broody" and would act like yours.....and even make a nest in a closet and take "a baby" in there and cuddle it and seem to think she was a Mommy.....that would last for a couple of days and then she would get over it and leave that all behind.......but it occurred several times toward the end of her life.....she was so sweet and maternal......like she felt she had missed out on something and was going to have puppies before she died. I think it must have been hormonal.....maybe an imbalance. She was so sweet.

The walking on wood floors........are her nails too long? or are wood floors a new experience for her...or has she fallen...if either is the case....it suggests ways to address it. There are some fears that dont go away.....and quirks too......our Westie considered the windshield wipers to be her mortal enemy......when she got into the car she demanded to be in the front seat....at full attention waiting/daring th wipers to come on.....she would stomp nervously and drool and tremble and if it rained and you had to turn them on.....she went beserk....and wanted to attack the window. The only cure was to keep her in a carrying case in the car......then she didnt give a hoot about the wipers.....Not her problem any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs