Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,054,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie is Mr. Finicky. I won't get into the whole list of things that I've done to entice him (hamburger, freeze-dried patties, egg, green beans, etc...) but this is working like magic for him now:

Sprinkle some food topper on his kibble. If they come in chunks (i.e. if they're labeled as treats) then, while still in the bag, smash it with a hammer (thanks MAK!) until it's dust. A teaspoon or so on the kibble, shake the bowl so that it gets incorporated, and your dog will eat. Well, mine did, and he's the most difficult dog to get to eat kibble.

This morning he had the liver one. He vacuumed that bowl.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. There are others. You'll want to get one that's just one ingredient (just liver, just beef, just chicken, or just salmon).

100% Natural and Organic Pet Treats- Complete Natural Nutrition - Natural Pet Treats- Real Food Toppers (http://www.completenaturalnutrition.com/show_info.php?page_id=63 - broken link)

Another brand is Pure Bites (or PureBites as one word, I'm not sure). That's the brand of liver that Artie had today.

Also, as MAK explained to me, they make them for cats as well. The only difference is that the cat packages are smaller. So if you're looking to try a small amount, you'll want to get the cat variety. But it's the exact same stuff (one ingredient).
We don't have that here that I have seen, but maybe in time we will get it. I do buy now and then "Rudy's" which is a local food for dogs that is cooked but frozen that you add to your dogs dry food. I did mix in some of the wet "Blue Buffalo" this am, and he did eat a bit of dry, but not much of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Maybe he's sick. Have you taken him to a vet yet?
I've taken him to the Vet in the past with this issue and there is nothing wrong with him. He ate the vitamin tablet they broke up in front of him. He goes bazerk when he sees this squirrel on the fence and chases it or the birds in the back yard. He wouldn't have energy to do that if he was ill. He's wanting some attention now and is waiting patiencely (sp) for me to get off of this pc to play ball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
We don't have that here that I have seen, but maybe in time we will get it. I do buy now and then "Rudy's" which is a local food for dogs that is cooked but frozen that you add to your dogs dry food. I did mix in some of the wet "Blue Buffalo" this am, and he did eat a bit of dry, but not much of it.
If you decide that you want a food topper, there are plenty of places that you could order them online. Amazon is one of them. Petfooddirect.com is another. Just google dog food topper and you'll get a bunch of hits of places you can order from online, if you decide to go that route.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM

I called the "Blue Buffalo" company and just talked to them about this issue. I'm not the first person that called that owned a Yorkie that had this food issue. She suggested that maybe switching to another flavor and/or a larger kibble. The person that posted the switching of flavors within the brand is a good suggestion too.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
My dog is on "Blue Buffalo", and it is pretty much the same concept as your dog food. I mixed a bit of the wet food of "Blue" in there this am, and he did he a bit of dry and not nibble on only the wet. That is a great idea to rotate the flavors but all the choices for small breed that they have is either the chicken and rice (which is what he's on now) or the fish, which he wasn't too crazy about when I switched him to this from "Royal Canine". He's been on numerous of food, but I will check and see if they have other flavors. Thanks for the idea
I got a different flavor in "Blue Buffalo" and mixed a bit in his other flavor thinking he would eat a bit more. He did nibble on some, but not much. I don't know if he doesn't like it since some he takes out of the bowl and puts on the ground or floor. He did get a good whiff and seemed interested, but when I put the bowl down he wouldn't eat until I played ball with him.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,639 times
Quote:
I got a different flavor in "Blue Buffalo" and mixed a bit in his other flavor thinking he would eat a bit more. He did nibble on some, but not much. I don't know if he doesn't like it since some he takes out of the bowl and puts on the ground or floor. He did get a good whiff and seemed interested, but when I put the bowl down he wouldn't eat until I played ball with him.
hmmm, I have labs which are very food motivated so I've never had an issue with them not eating unless they are sick. Have you thought about trying a grain free version of dog food? Grain isn't natural for dogs to eat so maybe your dog would like something with a higher meat content. Also, how long will your dog refuse to eat? You might just try leaving the food out all day and seeing if he'll eat when he gets hungry.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
hmmm, I have labs which are very food motivated so I've never had an issue with them not eating unless they are sick. Have you thought about trying a grain free version of dog food? Grain isn't natural for dogs to eat so maybe your dog would like something with a higher meat content. Also, how long will your dog refuse to eat? You might just try leaving the food out all day and seeing if he'll eat when he gets hungry.
I try to motivate him with vitamin treats that I cut up, that is when we play ball is the only time I can get him to eat. If he eats, it is like less or about a 1/4 cup. I use a tiny scooper sometimes and he will eat out of that too, which is about a 1/4 cup.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:26 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,218,942 times
My American Eskimo sometimes turns his nose up at his canned food. I give him Gravy Train, Alpo, Ole Roy and Ole Roy for his dry. When where I shop is out of one brand, I need to buy at other stores. He likes only one of the many flavors of Ole Roy!

I wonder sometimes when he turns the nose up if the can is tainted somehow. I leave the food in his dish when I go to work and it's usually gone when I get home. Sometimes though, he just will not eat it, so I throw away and open another can and he scoffs it up. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs