Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,313,057 times

Advertisements

We live in a university community which is very "crunchy" green and politically correct. We never see dogs running lose and there are anti teathering laws.
yesterday while in traffic on my way to parking, I saw a man , 30's or 40's, (not a kid) walking his dog on a leash in the park and he let it poop right there and just went on his way.

I was really ticked and kept thinking "I wish he would come close enough for me to roll down the window to yell at him." He kind of disappeared and I continued to stew. I parked my car and started walking thru the park and all of a sudden I came up on him and his dog sitting on a bench. Without thinking I just turned to him and said "Pet ownership comes with responsibilities and you should have cleaned up after your dog. You are not a responsible pet owner."

He was incredulous that I said anything to him and he started ranting about "If you can find it you can have it" and on and on with the filthiest words I've ever heard and I've heard alot. I was actually afraid he was gonna come after me but he didn't.

Obviously I didn't stop to think how any comment I made would provoke him or what my comments were going to accomplish. I was just really ticked and the words came spewing forth.

At first I was regretting my actions then I started thinking maybe next time he would think and not be so selfcentered. After all, we all have to have our consciousness raised about some things.

Would you ever call somebody out for something they do in public? Would you take the "live and let live" approach? Don't get involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,155,864 times
As long as the guy didn't come after you, as you were afraid he might, then I applaud you. I would have done the same thing.

I don't have much tolerance or patience -- I don't suffer fools gladly -- and I've called people out for a lot of things. This would have been one of them. Good for you.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 PM

13,934 posts, read 39,449,146 times
Does your city have poop scoop laws? Mine does .... So when I tell people to clean up I Always add better me telling you than You paying a Fine!! Usually they shutup & cleanup!!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,928,739 times
I usually don't say anything...although one time I was on the receiving side of it.

A few years ago I left the house for one of our routine morning walks and for some reason I forgot to put my biodegradeable poop bags in my pocket. I must have had lots on my mind that morning, because I try to be a responsible dog owner.

Well, the one morning I forget the poop bags is when I run into one of the regular neighborhood walkers. My Sheba decides to poop right in front of her, and low and behold a torrent of, "What's the matter with you? Aren't you going to pick that up? That's filthy and disgusting...blah blah blah." So in my shock I responded, "I normally pick it up, but today I forgot my bags." The neighborhood walker then proceeds to continue to berate me for not picking up the poop....to which I responded, "Hey lady, why don't you go $#8& and #@!@* with a #@*&^!" I must have been having a bad day...lol.

PS Never forgot my poop bags again!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,637,695 times
Default I think we need a sub-forum titled "poop."

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We live in a university community which is very "crunchy" green and politically correct. We never see dogs running lose and there are anti teathering laws.
yesterday while in traffic on my way to parking, I saw a man , 30's or 40's, (not a kid) walking his dog on a leash in the park and he let it poop right there and just went on his way.

I was really ticked and kept thinking "I wish he would come close enough for me to roll down the window to yell at him." He kind of disappeared and I continued to stew. I parked my car and started walking thru the park and all of a sudden I came up on him and his dog sitting on a bench. Without thinking I just turned to him and said "Pet ownership comes with responsibilities and you should have cleaned up after your dog. You are not a responsible pet owner."

He was incredulous that I said anything to him and he started ranting about "If you can find it you can have it" and on and on with the filthiest words I've ever heard and I've heard alot. I was actually afraid he was gonna come after me but he didn't.

Obviously I didn't stop to think how any comment I made would provoke him or what my comments were going to accomplish. I was just really ticked and the words came spewing forth.

At first I was regretting my actions then I started thinking maybe next time he would think and not be so selfcentered. After all, we all have to have our consciousness raised about some things.

Would you ever call somebody out for something they do in public? Would you take the "live and let live" approach? Don't get involved?

I don't think you were out of line, although I probably wouldn't have added the part about him not being a responsible pet owner, at least not at first. I would be thinking it though! Hopefully he will think twice before he does that again.

On the few occasions I have noticed someone not picking up after their dogs, I have handed them bags. I just pretend like I don't know they were going to leave it and tell them I have an extra bag since they've run out of bags. No one has yelled at me (yet).

One of our dogs has been known to poop as many as three times on one walk, and one time I ran out of bags. No one saw, luckily, but when got home I got a bag, ran the few blocks back to the scene of the crime and picked it up. So I guess I've technically been on both sides of the law

The way I see it, morons who don't pick up poop ruin things for the responsible dog owners. I don't want the park to decide dogs are no longer allowed because someone isn't picking up poop. They can live and let live...in their own yard. When they're in public, they can obey the law.

You keep on telling them NoKudzu...just be careful!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,802,102 times
I've gotten to the end of the spool on the little clip I keep on Willie's leash, and discovered it when he's done one poop too many (he tends to poop two to three times per walk). But I do go home and get a bag to come back and pick it up.

I generally don't pick verbal fights with people over nuisance actions (dangerous actions, and I'm more likely to speak up). I do give them pointed dirty looks, though, which usually get the message across.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,313,057 times
Actually letting poop stay in public places can be quite dangerous. Kids run and slide in it, fall down in it, etc. I'm hoping karma will catch up with this jerk and he steps in a big mess someday and then he will think of me.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,489,134 times
Good for you!

I have a big mouth when it comes to stuff like this; plus I live in LA where people do all kinds of idiotic things. I once threw a guys' beer can back into his face after he threw it out the window onto the street. It was at night and probably a stupid thing for me to do but I felt empowered b/c I did have my dog with me. I was so pissed that he was drinking in his car and had the nerve to litter.

This is why, for the most part, I prefer dogs over people. (:

Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,185,060 times
there is a saying that goes "the more people I meet , the better I like my dogs ".

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,382,787 times
I applaud you for having your heart in the right place about this. But I would always take each situation individually as you don't know how the person will react.
I like the idea posted to give them the bag to gently shame and remind them of their responsibility. Always carry a bag or two with me and my Molly has done anything other than pee outside the yard. LOL she's very particular where she goes!
In my neighborhood I had a young woman who walked her dog almost daily by my home on the way to a small park. She let her dog do it's thing and never cleaned up. Spoke with her and told her I would appreciate it if she cleaned up, she was very nice and agreed but never did change her behavior.
So I eventually watched her dog do it's business one day and I bagged it.
Watched where her house was and brought the "gift" to her.
Told her she must have forgotten this on my lawn.
She was a bit pissy at first that I was so "petty" to do this. But I reminded her that we had spoken about this and she still would not clean up.
Told her that I wasn't being petty, that petty would be bringing my dog over and letting her crap on her lawn. Or that petty would be calling animal control right off the bat and reporting her un-licensed dog.
That I was giving her the opportunity to fix the issue before it became a bigger problem.
She was cranky but she doesn't even walk her dog on my street anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs