Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 PM

7,414 posts, read 12,775,557 times

Advertisements

I just read a fabulous dog short story (free) online, and I wanted to share it with you nice dog people. The story, "Embodiment," is by Ann Elwood, from her collection The Dog Park:
Kindle Nation Daily: Free Kindle Nation Shorts - September 25, 2010: "Embodiment," A Short Story from The Dog Park, a collection by Ann Elwood

I was looking for a dog stories thread on this forum, but couldn't find one. There are so many great dog novels and short stories out there--how about if you shared the titles and basic plots of your favorite stories here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,631,205 times
I think one of the best stories I have read is The Art of Racing in The Rain by Garth Stein. The dog tells the story of his life with his human . The story deals with family, love, loyality and the hope in life and the life lessons one learns but is told from a dogs perpective and you just fall in love with Enzo. ( the dog). The story makes you cry and laugh as you go through the ups and downs of life. Beautiful book!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,021,853 times
What a great idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it.

This is a story I've enjoyed; Beautiful Joe, by Marshall Saunders

Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,486,021 times
I have always enjoyed reading James Herriot's books, usually stories about dogs he knew. I remember one, he called the dog, the "nurse" of the farm he went to, because she seemed to know which anmials were sick, and took care of them.

And don't forget the best book ever..."Walter, the Farting Dog". This book is hilarious. And an excellent Christmas book for anyone who likes dogs, especially kids. Who has never blamed the "dog" for a fart....

Last edited by jasper12; 11-07-2010 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: added book.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:13 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,401,253 times
Susan Conant has written lots of who-dun-its that feature her two Malamutes, who are funny and sometimes a bit troublesome.

Dog is My Co-Pilot - a collection of short stories from The Bark.

I'll second Dashdog about The Art of Racing in the Rain being a great book. It is also available as an unabridged audio book and the reader is very good.

I know there are others but they are out on loan to my dog loving friends and I can't remember titles or authers names.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:32 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,528,667 times
Art of Racing in the Rain: I third it!
One I am reading now is "Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love" another great story

Old 11-07-2010, 12:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,631,205 times
I will add that most of the Jon Katz books like "A Dog Year" or " The Dogs Of Bedlam Farm" are great reads too .

another great read but be warned a very very sad read as yes it will have you crying big time is called " Three Cats, Two Dogs" By David Congalton It is his journey through Multiple Pet loss and back. I must have cried through a good part of the book but it was in a way a good cry having lost pets myself. So I rate it a very good book but 10 star tear jerker!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,526,763 times
Great thread. I love the James Herriot books I have everyone of them and have read them several times. I also loved Marley and Me. I have a whole bookcase full of dog books and novels. I read them over and over.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,384,092 times
Have to 4th Art of Racing in the Rain. Only problem with it is that every time I'm in Target I pass the book aisle and have to pick it up and browse the ending. I end up sniffling and misting up every time, it's pathetic! Keep thinking one time I will be able to read it and smile but I'm a sap.
Highly recommend this but keep tissues handy.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,096,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Have to 4th Art of Racing in the Rain. Only problem with it is that every time I'm in Target I pass the book aisle and have to pick it up and browse the ending. I end up sniffling and misting up every time, it's pathetic! Keep thinking one time I will be able to read it and smile but I'm a sap.
Highly recommend this but keep tissues handy.

off to amazon to put it on my wishlist .... get paid next week and i feel like treating myself a bit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs