Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:32 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,934 times

Advertisements

Lovely. Let's all watch some crush videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,437,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I disagree w/ this statement. a reputable breeder will do anything possible to educate anyone interested in the breed. In the case of a breed like a DA (very dominant, work focused breed), a reputable breeder may spend as much time (if not more) dissuading potential adopters than pushing a sale. they don't want their dogs to end up in the wrong hands or, god forbid, end up attacking a person or another dog due to poor training (IIRC, some criminals are using breeds like the DA for dog fighting and w/in the drug smuggling trade). a reputable DA breeder will be trying to find an appropriate home, not trying to make money.

luckily, the breed is still relatively rare, so the OP's son won't have as many BYBs to contend with

to the OP, the biggest issue I see, besides training, is issues w/ BSL. a lot of DAs are misidentified as pit bulls and some BSLs specifically ban DAs. your son will have to do his research in that regard.
There is a massive difference between a breeder and a reputable breeder. Of all the breeders out there I'd qualify less than 5% as reputable breeders. Good luck finding a reputable breeder for a rare breed, which a DA qualifies as.

Didn't mean to offend the OP. I don't know your son. I do know people in general. I've been dealing with it for YEARS. And rescues are the ones that wind up cleaning up messes made by irresponsible people that decide to buy a dog without doing any homework at all or being realistic about what they are capable of. Just stating my opinion that's based on years of facts and reality. Certainly hope your son isn't like the majority of the people in this country.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Lovely. Let's all watch some crush videos.
Is anyone still wondering why organizations and advocacies in support of hunting rights opposed the crush video commerce prohibition?

Those pictures are of a dog doing its job and shouldn't have any more emotional impact than images of a heeler working cows or a retriever picking up birds.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,380,754 times
I just finished reading a new book called Oogy, A Dog Only a Family Could Love and Oogy turned out to be a Dogo Argentino. It was assumed that he was a pit bull. He'd been seized as part of a drug bust and had obviously been used as a bait dog, (he was very young). Turned out to be a wonderful dog after he got through the chewing puppy stage. (which is part of the reason I now stick with senior dogs .

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Is anyone still wondering why organizations and advocacies in support of hunting rights opposed the crush video commerce prohibition?

Those pictures are of a dog doing its job and shouldn't have any more emotional impact than images of a heeler working cows or a retriever picking up birds.
I agree...No one should wonder why some hunters' rights groups oppose that prohibition.

Without getting into a lengthy discussion of the rights of certain hunting groups, there is a huge difference between an animal doing its job and a human being's enjoyment in watching it eat another animal alive, or watching it die slowly and/or violently.

Are DA dogs not bred and trained to attack and kill? Retrievers are meant to pick up a bird - not eat it alive. Cow dogs don't attack and rip a cow apart, they herd them.

The hunters I know shoot to kill. There's a great deal of pride involved in being able to do that with one shot. It's over and done.

I guess you're right, I don't understand the joy one gets out of hearing an animal scream out in pain and watching it fight for its life.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Good advice in earlier posts about these large powerful dogs. The breed was developed by South American Leoneros for the purpose of confronting and holding large dangerous game such as wild pigs and pumas for the hunters. They are always used as part of a team of dogs when hunting. Contrary to some popular opinions, they are never, ever allowed to confront dangerous animals alone by knowledgeable hunters, as one on one they are no match for an adult cougar or wild pig. They do have a rep as being quite sociable at home with family. Tough call on this, but do have to wonder about having a dog that may not be used for what it was bred for.
I totally agree with you. My only objection is that a pet should fit into the lifestyle of a family, and my son does not typically go on bear or wild boar hunts around the neighborhood.

I will be seeing him on Sunday for dinner, and will give it the big motherly nag, but after that I'll let it go.

Wicked Felina makes a good point, too. We have had Labs and Brittanies (the greatest dogs ever), which were content NOT to retrieve birds, and Jack Russells which were content NOT to burrow after rodents. I have to think that dogos bred carefully in this country, rather than Argentina, are bred to reflect the traits compatible with our lifestyles.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-11-2010 at 06:46 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

Are DA dogs not bred and trained to attack and kill? Retrievers are meant to pick up a bird - not eat it alive. Cow dogs don't attack and rip a cow apart, they herd them.

The hunters I know shoot to kill. There's a great deal of pride involved in being able to do that with one shot. It's over and done.

I guess you're right, I don't understand the joy one gets out of hearing an animal scream out in pain and watching it fight for its life.
I wouldn't expect someone who has never hunted to understand, but the images that you see on the previous page depict a dog performing it's job, which, specifically, is to catch and hold game in order to be quickly dispatched and/or contained by human hunters. They are neither bred nor trained to attack and kill.

The object is not to "get joy" out of hearing an animal scream out in pain and watch it fight for its life. The object of pig hunting is to control a wildly invasive exotic species and harvest meat in an economical and efficient manner. The process is definitely exciting and stirring, but it isn't a celebration of cruelty and I think that anyone who can't see it as anything other than that is at least a fool.

I have never met any dog that was bred and trained to kill unless it was a dachshund or a rat terrier.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wicked Felina makes a good point, too. We have had Labs and Brittanies (the greatest dogs ever), which were content NOT to retrieve birds, and Jack Russells which were content NOT to burrow after rodents. I have to think that dogos bred carefully in this country, rather than Argentina, are bred to reflect the traits compatible with our lifestyles.
While I'm not sure that Wicked Felina made that point at all, I agree that it is good - however - Labradors and Brittanies are dogs that have very distinct conformation lines and working lines. The working lines are not going to be content without work. I'm not certain that the same schism exists within the dogo argentino lines, if you get my drift.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
At any rate, if it comes to pass, I'll report back.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I wouldn't expect someone who has never hunted to understand...

The object of pig hunting is to control a wildly invasive exotic species and harvest meat in an economical and efficient manner. The process is definitely exciting and stirring, but it isn't a celebration of cruelty and I think that anyone who can't see it as anything other than that is at least a fool.
Bingo! I knew it wouldn't take you long to throw personal insults into the equation.

You assume an awful lot. I have hunted. Most of my friends hunt. A few of them are quite extraordinary shots. But that has nothing to do with my opinion, no matter how foolish you think it is because I disagree with you.

It's an equally foolish notion, if I am a fool as you said, for you to pretend that the only economical and efficient way to control the wild pig population (or to harvest any kind of meat) is to use DA dogs to attack them. Whether you admit it or not, the result of using these dogs will be your hearing an animal cry out in pain. That's the extra "thrill" some enjoy.

You may find that "stirring" and "exciting" rather than joyful. You're playing with semantics. They are one and the same, even to the point of there being a sadistic component in the 'excitement' of hearing and watching (excitement, 'stirring', joy, delight) an animal writhe in pain.

The DA dogs used to hunt are trained to attack. A wild animal will fight. The DA and any other dog similarly trained will continue to attack and "hold" as you put it, until the wild animal submits. Often times, they do not. The result is that you (in the general sense) have not hunted, but have let the DA hunt for you. You did not stalk and outsmart the pig, the dog did. Your accomplishment as a hunter is secondary to that of the dog.

You couldn't comprehend what I wrote in my previous post and still felt a need to contradict another poster who did. Why's that? You can read better than other people? There's really no reason for you to get so personal. We are only talking about dogs, try not to internalize and personalize things you read because you disagree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs