Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Bingo! I knew it wouldn't take you long to throw personal insults into the equation.

You assume an awful lot. I have hunted. Most of my friends hunt. A few of them are quite extraordinary shots. But that has nothing to do with my opinion, no matter how foolish you think it is because I disagree with you.

It's an equally foolish notion, if I am a fool as you said, for you to pretend that the only economical and efficient way to control the wild pig population (or to harvest any kind of meat) is to use DA dogs to attack them. Whether you admit it or not, the result of using these dogs will be your hearing an animal cry out in pain. That's the extra "thrill" some enjoy.

You may find that "stirring" and "exciting" rather than joyful. You're playing with semantics. They are one and the same, even to the point of there being a sadistic component in the 'excitement' of hearing and watching (excitement, 'stirring', joy, delight) an animal writhe in pain.

The DA dogs used to hunt are trained to attack. A wild animal will fight. The DA and any other dog similarly trained will continue to attack and "hold" as you put it, until the wild animal submits. Often times, they do not. The result is that you (in the general sense) have not hunted, but have let the DA hunt for you. You did not stalk and outsmart the pig, the dog did. Your accomplishment as a hunter is secondary to that of the dog.

You couldn't comprehend what I wrote in my previous post and still felt a need to contradict another poster who did. Why's that? You can read better than other people? There's really no reason for you to get so personal. We are only talking about dogs, try not to internalize and personalize things you read because you disagree with them.
Just a few points:

There is no personal insult in my post unless you believe that you meet certain conditions.

You may have hunted, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about in this instance.

I certainly never claimed that "the only economical and efficient way to control the wild pig population (or to harvest any kind of meat) is to use DA dogs to attack them" or anything even roughly approximating the absolutism in that statement.

Contrast these:
Stirring | Define Stirring at Dictionary.com
Exciting | Define Exciting at Dictionary.com
Against this:
Joyful | Define Joyful at Dictionary.com
Then tell me that they are one and the same again and then tell me that you are not a fool again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,474,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
There is no personal insult in my post unless you believe that you meet certain conditions.
Then tell me that they are one and the same again and then tell me that you are not a fool again.
Oh brother, and what would those certain conditions be, that I disagree with you? You're being quite petulant and disingenuous. Again, it's not unexpected given your history.

Dictionary-ism: Do you know what 'in context' means and what a modifier is?

Believe whatever you wish, right or wrong. It really doesn't matter to me.

BTW, aren't we supposed to be discussing DAs?

I will not continue to argue with you. This thread belongs to the OP; I've already apologized to her for veering off subject.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,199 times
I know that you posted this months ago, but sooo many of these posts are COMPLETELY wrong. I have 2 Dogos. (They are not mine but they are family member's and I have seen them frequently since they were adopted at 4 weeks old). They are both EXTREMELY loving dogs. Neither of them have aggression issues and are wonderful around kids. Dogos get huge (over 100 lbs) and are VERY strong (They are part Mastiff). All the same, they are extremely loyal dogs and love to cuddle up with you. They are a handful as puppies though! They are very smart and will get into EVERYTHING. The biggest struggle we have had with ours is they are too friendly! They get soo excited when people come around and they don't realize their own strength. Dogos are illegal in Great Britain because they are commonly used as fighting dogs due to their strength. THIS LAW WAS PUT INTO PLACE TO PROTECT THE DOGS, not the people.

I really think that you should read the book "Oogy". It is about a Dogo who was used as a bait dog. He was bought by the dog fighters (they probably thought he was a pitbull), but he would not fight, so they let another fighting dog attack him. The author of the book was first told that Oogy was a pitbull but came to find out that he was in fact a Dogo. He talks a lot about the back ground of the dogs (They were bred to chase away animals on farms. The "killer" in them has been bred out. If the dogs were constantly fighting, then they would not do their job.) Again, I strongly recommend you read this book, especially if you are going to, or already have a Dogo.

And I really appreciate that your son is not going to cut his ears, that is cruel and just ads to the stereotype about the dog's. Enjoy your Dogo

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrx View Post
I know that you posted this months ago, but sooo many of these posts are COMPLETELY wrong. I have 2 Dogos. (They are not mine but they are family member's and I have seen them frequently since they were adopted at 4 weeks old). They are both EXTREMELY loving dogs. Neither of them have aggression issues and are wonderful around kids. Dogos get huge (over 100 lbs) and are VERY strong (They are part Mastiff). All the same, they are extremely loyal dogs and love to cuddle up with you. They are a handful as puppies though! They are very smart and will get into EVERYTHING. The biggest struggle we have had with ours is they are too friendly! They get soo excited when people come around and they don't realize their own strength. Dogos are illegal in Great Britain because they are commonly used as fighting dogs due to their strength. THIS LAW WAS PUT INTO PLACE TO PROTECT THE DOGS, not the people.

I really think that you should read the book "Oogy". It is about a Dogo who was used as a bait dog. He was bought by the dog fighters (they probably thought he was a pitbull), but he would not fight, so they let another fighting dog attack him. The author of the book was first told that Oogy was a pitbull but came to find out that he was in fact a Dogo. He talks a lot about the back ground of the dogs (They were bred to chase away animals on farms. The "killer" in them has been bred out. If the dogs were constantly fighting, then they would not do their job.) Again, I strongly recommend you read this book, especially if you are going to, or already have a Dogo.

And I really appreciate that your son is not going to cut his ears, that is cruel and just ads to the stereotype about the dog's. Enjoy your Dogo
What idiot allowed you to adopt a puppy at 4 weeks old??? And why would you??? Short of mom dying for whatever reason and you being the one that bottle fed the puppy, a HORRID dis-service was done to those puppies taking them from their mother before 8 to 10 weeks of age!

Second, by banning any breed, you're NOT helping that breed or keeping it safe. Laws are only followed by law abiding citizens. Law abiding citizens DO NOT fight their dogs. So the law abiding citizens who are the ones that spend the time and effort to properly train and socialize a dog so that it's a wonderful member of civilized society are the ones to suffer. BSL does not stop the criminal element from obtaining and continuing to fight banned breeds. The dogs will be seized and killed and they'll simply replace them with more. If they do get sick of their dogs being seized and cutting into their 'fun' they're just going to go choose another breed of dog to pick on. Believing that this law was to keep dogs safe is sickeningly naive and dangerous thinking to the dogs.

Aside from that, I'm glad you're associated with 2 Dogos with no aggression problems. Like EVERY OTHER BREED OF DOG ON THE FREAKING PLANET, there is NO SUCH THING as an 'aggressive' breed of dog. None. Zero. I'm so tired of saying that to people. I swear I must rant in my sleep these days!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Here is an update for you. They got the puppy, who is now about 5 months old. She is a rambuncious puppy, but very sweet and docile. She has a perfect heart shaped black nose and a black spot around one eye.
Today, we took her to downown Savannah, where she placidly watched the world go by while we ate breakfast at City Market. Many adults, children, and other dogs came up to her and she was happy and waggy to see them.
Although she is a handfull, she is doing very well on the leash and hasn't an aggressive bone in her body. She shows not the slightest urge to fell a wild boar or bear, and in fact has been cowed many times by our 10 lb. cat. and her 20 lb. Jack Russell "sister".
Bottom line, my fears were unfounded.

Last edited by gentlearts; 04-16-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 PM

80 posts, read 151,549 times
I have a question about Dogo's. I was under the impression that they are rare enough that people who are getting them are flying to Argentina to get them and that most breeders from Argentina sell them under a contract that disallows breeding them in the U.S. to keep the lines pure. Has this changed? Is there a significant breeding population of Dogos in the U.S. now (by significant, I mean anyone in the U.S. can find one without flying to Argentina)? I had no idea things had changed and still thought them to be extremely rare here. Or maybe I've misunderstood all I've heard/read and I've been hearing about dogs used strictly for feral pig hunting.

Last edited by AMidnightSoul; 04-16-2011 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Aside from that, I'm glad you're associated with 2 Dogos with no aggression problems. Like EVERY OTHER BREED OF DOG ON THE FREAKING PLANET, there is NO SUCH THING as an 'aggressive' breed of dog. None. Zero. I'm so tired of saying that to people. I swear I must rant in my sleep these days!
Not trying to tick you off but I think what your saying is crazy. Your one of those people that think Pit Bulls are angels and it's the owners with the problem. I know this is a dog forum so I may have people disagree with me, but to say there are are no "agressive breeds" is crazy. If you mean agressive to people then I guess that's valid (even though I disagree) but there are plenty of dogs naturally dog agressive, and plenty agressive towards small animals or livestock.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
I have a question about Dogo's. I was under the impression that they are rare enough that people who are getting them are flying to Argentina to get them and that most breeders from Argentina sell them under a contract that disallows breeding them in the U.S. to keep the lines pure. Has this changed? Is there a significant breeding population of Dogos in the U.S. now (by significant, I mean anyone in the U.S. can find one without flying to Argentina)? I had no idea things had changed and still thought them to be extremely rare here. Or maybe I've misunderstood all I've heard/read and I've been hearing about dogs used strictly for feral pig hunting.
You can find legitimate breeders of Dogos in Texas and other states where feral pigs create a significant niche for working catch dogs. I wouldn't buy a dogo puppy from a rapper, but there are some great dogs coming from places other than Argentina.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:10 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Not trying to tick you off but I think what your saying is crazy. Your one of those people that think Pit Bulls are angels and it's the owners with the problem. I know this is a dog forum so I may have people disagree with me, but to say there are are no "agressive breeds" is crazy. If you mean agressive to people then I guess that's valid (even though I disagree) but there are plenty of dogs naturally dog agressive, and plenty agressive towards small animals or livestock.
I believe she was referring to people aggression, hope I'm not speaking out of turn.
And many of "us people" here who believe pit bulls are angels ARE the owners of people friendly dogs, myself included. Many others have direct experience working with the breed through rescues or otherwise, myself again included.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:02 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
My son's came from SC. I don't know if it's an experienced breeder or someone with a pair of dogos, but the parents were raised in a family atmophere. There are quite a few breeders in America if you look on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs