Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:55 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times

Advertisements

11mo lab puppy suddenly is barking at me for no reason. Non-aggressive (no growling, just woofing) and stops when I say "No!" but it is strange. Sometimes it is when I walk in the door, sometimes when I make noises then walk in the same room as him. Just now, I closed the window in my bedroom then he walked in and started woofing. I sternly said "No" and he stopped and proceeded to lick my hand.

Any ideas? I'm the only one he barks at, other than visitors who knock on the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,461 times
Just a guess on my part but I'd bet he's wanting more attention.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM

I was thinking that, but we give him a lot of attention. The way he barks at me is the way he barks if someone knocks on the door... not a "woof" but "woofwoofwoofwoof" like someone is coming inside that we don't know about. It's weird. Like I said, he stops when I give him a stern "No"

Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Is your place haunted? Do you think you may have a spirit accompaning you? Dogs can sense things like that you know.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Is your place haunted? Do you think you may have a spirit accompaning you? Dogs can sense things like that you know.

huh? no?

he did it again just now. we got back from a long walk and he was laying down in the living room. I get up, start talking to my girlfriend who is on the couch, the dog wakes up, stares at me for a few seconds, then starts barking.

I give the "No" and he comes up and sniffs/licks my hand. It's like he doesn't know who I am? I've had him since he was 6mo so almost half a year already.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
some dogs do that when they want to play

Old 12-12-2010, 03:59 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
I think he's trying out being dominant, he's at that "teenager" point. I'd completely ignore him when he does it (hard, I know, and at first he might do it more to get a reaction). Just act like he's not even there.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I think he's trying out being dominant, he's at that "teenager" point. I'd completely ignore him when he does it (hard, I know, and at first he might do it more to get a reaction). Just act like he's not even there.
So ignore rather than attempt to take control of the situation? Turn around and walk the other way, or just stand there and wait until he's done?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Just go on about your business like he's not there. Like, maybe you're trying to impress me with your big bark, but it's not working. Then when he's being good and quiet give him a big hug and some pats and a "good boy".

Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So ignore rather than attempt to take control of the situation? Turn around and walk the other way, or just stand there and wait until he's done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Just go on about your business like he's not there. Like, maybe you're trying to impress me with your big bark, but it's not working. Then when he's being good and quiet give him a big hug and some pats and a "good boy".
good advice.... turn around and walk the other way.... do not even acknowledge the dog's existence..... not even eye contact..... it can be tough, but is usually very effective..... the dog wants your attention.....

when he calms down.... give him some attention... WHAT a good DOG!! a small treat.... if he is as smart as a typical lab, he will catch on quickly that GOOD things come when he is calm.... and NOTHING comes when he is being obnoxious and demanding of attention....

this method was the most effective way to get a point across to my bailey when she had done something that was not acceptable.... and once we went through the silent treatment one time, she NEVER repeated the behavior that earned it..... have to catch him in the act, which in your situation is easy.... say NO!! BAD DOG!! and then silent treatment for about 10 minutes or so..... or until he exhibits the behavior that you want.... then reward reward reward.... with your attention and maybe a treat.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs