Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 34,245 times

Advertisements

My beautiful 5 year old cocker spaniel started with allergies and now has a severe skin infection with hair loss. We started with a steroid shot, chlovomax, tresiderm ear drops and benadryl 3 moths ago. Then we had chlopheneramine and cephalexan and ear drops. When he got worse we had zinequan, predsone, ear drops and benadryl. Nothing worked and he only got worse. We were referred to a dermatologist and after further testing he is now on chlendamycin, chlovomax, conofite lotion ear drops, and bur-otic ear drops along with a medicated shampoo and conditioner. Somewhere in there we did purina veterinary diet hypo allogenic. We've been on the latest round of medication for 3 days now. Doggie is very quiet and subdued and very uncomfortable. We are at our wits end. We have spent over $2000 and nothing has worked so far. Some please help with suggestions.

Dee Barua
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I am so sorry you have been having such a hard time! One thing I should point out is that allergies can be food-related, and most dogs and cats are allergic to many grains & fillers that run rampant in commercial brands like Purina. Try a low grain holistic formula like Pinnacle, maybe with a protein source you dont normally give him, like duck or trout. Also think about adding olive or castor oil to the kibble, for the skin issue. Medical shampoos are loaded with chemicals, which can also make skin conditions worse instead of better, I reccomend something gentle like a honey/oatmeal formula shampoo with as few chemicals in it as possible. Last, all the meds are probably making him VERY uncomfortable. I suggest finding a different vet, preferably one who is open to holistic healing in conjunction with traditional methods. There are less invasive, herbal supplements that could help him without putting his immune system at risk, which is what too much synthetic medication ultimately does. Good luck, I really hope you see an improvement soon!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:57 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Have you changed anything in her routine in the last year? I have friends that had an older Scottish terrier. He was happy living in MA, but once they moved to FL, he had skin allergies. I suspect it was also due to flea allergies. I visited them once and I found fleas on their cat. The cat was fine as he didn't seem to have flea allergies. Meanwhile, the people in the house were absentmindedly scratching their ankles. And they were shocked when I told them their cat had fleas.

Another Scottish terrier owner's dog developed a late in life allergy to rice. Once the rice was completely banished from his diet, all was good. I hope that a change in your dog's diet will solve your problems.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Try another food, an allergy formula food. NOTHING from the supermarket. As Luvmycat suggested, try something with a different protein source. Another brand to try is Natural Balance. It can be a couple of weeks to see any improvement if it's a food allergy.

What are the first 5 ingredients in the Purina?

What did the dermatologist diagnose? Test results? You may want to see a holistic vet.

Have their been any changes in your dog's environment?

Allergies can be very hard to diagnose/treat, but not impossible.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 AM

82 posts, read 440,152 times
Hi, I just took my 3 1/2 year old cocker spaniel to a dermatologist as she has been fighting staff infection due to allergies since she was eight months old. My Vet had her on continuous antibiotics and Benadryl. I didn't want these continuous antibiotic so I stopped them..two weeks later her right ear closed up. I took her to a dermatologist who found yeast on her face, between her toes and nail beds. She put her on a prescription diet..Iam's KO (Kanagroo and Oats) as I had tried so many different diets for her I had used up nearly everything to try. She continued her antibiotic Cephelexin (the last of many my vet had her on) for a couple more weeks, also added Katoconazole for the yeast, and continued the Prednisone which was for opening up the ear canal..then cut the dose, then every other day till they were gone. She recommended Chlorhexaderm 4% shampoo twice a week. Katie has been off all meds now for three weeks and doing well other than occasionally breaking out in a bump or two which the shampoo and 4% Chlorhexaderm spray in between takes care of. My Vet could never find yeast..the yeast was there. I'm wondering if Katie ever had allergies at this point.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,554 times
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE follow the other posters advice and put your dog on a better quality food. Please go to http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ and pick something with little to no grains in it. Anything between a 4-6 star rating is best (6 being the best). You can also give her some raw food...she won't be allergic to it.

Solid gold's Barking at the Moon is an excellent food. Organic, holistic, high protein, low carbs and best of all grain free. And it received a 6 star rating!!!

Best of luck and I hope she gets well and stays well.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:38 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,342 times
I feel for you. My little one is biting her legs and feet and scratching She keeps me up at night. Here's what I have done. Natural balance fish and potato allergy food, no chicken, get a humidifier installed on your furnace, the dry air is brutal. I bought a spray that has chamoille oil or whatever you call it in it and you just put it on up to 4 times a day. It smells awful, like you stuck your head in a pine bush, but I havent seen her bite her feet all day. I also heard tonite that revolution helps with skin problems where Frontline makes them worse. I ordered it. Like you, I am trying anything. Something else seems to be going on with your little one, I would go to someone else. Cortisone helped when I used it but she is only 14 mos and I don't want to do stuff like that, but it worked in two days. Try it.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM

82 posts, read 440,152 times
I used Cortaid for the itching along with Gold Bond Powder and Benadryl, lots of medicated baths, changed dog foods, home cooked...if the dog has broken out in Staff infection or yeast due to the allergies that needs to be addressed before anything else. Otherwise it's like putting a bandaid on it. As far as high quality dog food from the list..that is not a food trial. Some of the best foods out there my dog couldn't eat because she reacts to flaxseed and brewer's yeast..it's in almost all of them. There's also extras in there that might make your dog react. Grain free is fine if your dog is allergic to grain..they replace it with potatoes, I have a dog who throws up on potatoes. Grain free gave all three of mine diarrhea. I would have the dog checked out thoroughly for yeast. Yeast is very itchy. Between the toes get inflamed, the face is incredibly itchy...all the same signs of allergy. The only true food allergy test is for the Vet to write a prescription for your dog for a protein source and carb source the dog has never eated before, or cook it yourself. If there are other dogs in the house they have to be on it too for at least 8 weeks. Our eight week food trial ended last week and my dog is doing very well although an ocassional bump wili appear that I have to treat. I'm going the next step to find out why this is happening. I'm doing thyroid testing eith the Dr. Dodd's protocal even though my Vet or Dermatolgist doesn't think it's thyroid. If that's clear I'll do the allergy testing. There's no way IMO you can figure it all out yourself..I was over three years trying.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:38 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Does your dog drink tap water or filtered water? If she's not drinking filtered, try that. My dog has an issue that's exacerbated by his allergies. Someone suggested I put him on bottled water, and it really does seem to be helping.

(He was already on a premium food, and I use the HEPA filters for my AC, and I have air purifiers. The bottled water is just one more thing I've tried.)

Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Have you contacted the breeder? Allergies tend to run in Cockers and she might have her dogs on something.

It sounds like it's the food...yeast comes from grain fillers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs