Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Well here it is, mid-summer and once again my poor doggy (short-haired Whippet/Jack Russell blend) has his summer grass allergy in full bloom.

And once again I'm bathing him and spraying him with the stuff I got from my vet, which don't work all that well--he's still scratching, licking and biting until his skin (mostly on his belly and inside hind legs) is red and raw.

Anyone else going through this? Any suggestions? We live in North Carolina and this allergy seems pretty common here with the dogs in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Shadow suffers every summer. I probably have $1,000 worth of shampoos & sprays that my vet was sure would help her.

This summer has been worse than any other. My vet put her on a low dose steroid and in under 4 hours she had relief. Some dogs respond to anti-histamines and that is usually the first choice. Shadow tried 2 different kinds with no response. Prednisone works for her.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 PM

241 posts, read 713,138 times
If this is a seasonal problem then your vet should recommend trying some oral antihistamines. Shampoos and sprays are not going to me a sufficient solution. As in people, each medication will not solve the problem for each dog (just look at the number of antihistamines at the drug store). If you try one or more antihistamines without solving the problem then I would ask your vet about a low dose of steroids (prednisone) which will certainly work but can have some significant side effects (discuss with your vet). Your dog should not have to go through each summer in misery so please discuss this with your vet at your annual check-up.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I was going to say antihistamines also....Macie has been a bit itchy this summer and that's what our vet recommended to start with.....OTC antihistamines....

Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM

241 posts, read 713,138 times
You can try Benadryl -- what does your dog weigh? The only common side effect is possible sedation.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM

100 posts, read 550,440 times
Mid Atlantic east coast. You've had grass for a while now. About six months.

We are gonna try a few drops of tea tree oil mixed with a couple tablespoons of shampoo. I only mention this because the majority of the responses suggest going the prescription drug route; which I disagree with as a first choice. But mostly for your pet.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
I am so sick of recommending this stuff but I love it so here goes:

Dog Horse Cat Skin Allergies Treatment | Stop Dog Horse Itching Scratching | Remedy

It's all natural: basically, a blend of canola, lavendar, eucalyptus and teatree. I love the smell but my dog hates it, especially the taste. It makes her stop licking, promotes hair growth and clears up just about any rash.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Besides Benadryl, you can also give Claritin or Zyrtec (with you vet's approval and dosage amounts). My vet also suggested that when we bathe her to use an oatmeal shampoo, let it soak on her for a few minutes and to not use any conditioner. The residue left by conditioner can attract the allergens and they "stick" to her coat.....

Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM

100 posts, read 550,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Well here it is, mid-summer and once again my poor doggy (short-haired Whippet/Jack Russell blend) has his summer grass allergy in full bloom.

And once again I'm bathing him and spraying him with the stuff I got from my vet, which don't work all that well--he's still scratching, licking and biting until his skin (mostly on his belly and inside hind legs) is red and raw.

Anyone else going through this? Any suggestions? We live in North Carolina and this allergy seems pretty common here with the dogs in the summer.

You definitely do not want raw spots.

Now you have the perfect environment for ringworm fungus. Not a joke.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Thanks for the suggestions...my dog weighs about 32 pounds..just gave him a Bendryl with his food..we'll see if it helps...he's sleeping now...he's an older guy, around 13 so I'm nervous about giving him anything too harsh..he tends to be sensitive to prescriptions--as many Whippets are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs