Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 PM

123 posts, read 246,077 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder what that Frontline and other tick/flea poison does to dogs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am so sick of recommending this stuff but I love it so here goes:

Dog Horse Cat Skin Allergies Treatment | Stop Dog Horse Itching Scratching | Remedy

It's all natural: basically, a blend of canola, lavendar, eucalyptus and teatree. I love the smell but my dog hates it, especially the taste. It makes her stop licking, promotes hair growth and clears up just about any rash.
I will try this.
On antibiotics but still scratching.

WARNING/NEVER USE LIQUID BENADRYL FOR YOUR DOG/IT HAS ALCOHOL AND IS TOXIC FOR THEM!

Old 10-23-2014, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
Default dog allergy

I have struggles with a dog grass allergy no matter the season. The summer season is still the worst, due to amount of pollen in the air. My 6 years old Jack Russell is a little sufferer that tried many things before to beat the allergy.
As much as I hate this, the steroids were still helped the best to keep the allergy at the bay. Vet prescribed the shampoo called Malaseb, that relieves the itchy scalp and any other skin irritations. Some early postings were mentioning the antihistamines instead of steroids, which I tried, but no luck. Bear in mind, that it is necessary to calculate the right antihistamines dosage, that depends on the dogs weight.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 AM

5 posts, read 6,629 times
Quote:
I am so sick of recommending this stuff but I love it so here goes:

Dog Horse Cat Skin Allergies Treatment | Stop Dog Horse Itching Scratching | Remedy

It's all natural: basically, a blend of canola, lavendar, eucalyptus and teatree. I love the smell but my dog hates it, especially the taste. It makes her stop licking, promotes hair growth and clears up just about any rash.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for not being too burned out to post this info again. I just did a search on "grass allergy dogs" and came across this board and your post.

I too will not go the drug route. I just ordered this and will post back the hopefully good results.

Anna

Amazon has it BTW

Old 08-08-2015, 07:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodDweller View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH for not being too burned out to post this info again. I just did a search on "grass allergy dogs" and came across this board and your post.

I too will not go the drug route. I just ordered this and will post back the hopefully good results.

Anna

Amazon has it BTW
An inexpensive and easy way to help reduce grass allergy symptoms is to maintain a kid's wading pool. Just have your dog step into the pool right before he comes back into the house from being outside and many of those allergens will rinse off. A quick toweling and you have no mess. Change the pool water daily for best results.

Or you can just hose off your dog's feet (and belly if he relaxed in the grass).

For some dogs this is all that's needed. For others it's the icing on the medication cake that eliminates symptoms.

So darn easy but most vets don't suggest this.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:58 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
Try adding LOCAL HONEY to his diet. Local honey needs to be honey that comes from hives within a 20-mile radius of your home. Your local top-tier grocery/Whole Foods/health-store should have it. Read the label -- don't simply go to the honey section of the store. You need LOCAL honey, and if you don't see any that looks like it's local, ask the store manager. (You can also probably find it at your local farmer's market.) Will cost between $3 and $8.

Local honey contains bits and pieces of the pollen local to your area, and eating a couple teaspoons of honey made by bees working in your home area can prevent (or lessen) your dog's allergic reaction to the pollens in your area.

Ryder gets a teaspoon mixed into his breakfast and dinner, and he always gets to lick the spoon clean. He likes that part. :-)

Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Try adding LOCAL HONEY to his diet. Local honey needs to be honey that comes from hives within a 20-mile radius of your home. Your local top-tier grocery/Whole Foods/health-store should have it. Read the label -- don't simply go to the honey section of the store. You need LOCAL honey, and if you don't see any that looks like it's local, ask the store manager. (You can also probably find it at your local farmer's market.) Will cost between $3 and $8.

Local honey contains bits and pieces of the pollen local to your area, and eating a couple teaspoons of honey made by bees working in your home area can prevent (or lessen) your dog's allergic reaction to the pollens in your area.

Ryder gets a teaspoon mixed into his breakfast and dinner, and he always gets to lick the spoon clean. He likes that part. :-)
I've heard of this too. Additionally, raw honey has some other bennies. Honey Benefits for Dogs | Canine Supplements

Old 10-02-2015, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 830 times
My one year old Jack Russel is suffering with grass allergies. Doc gave him a steroid and something else, but it's getting expensive. He only weighs 15.5 lbs. anyone know how much Benedryll he could have?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,629 times
Quote:
My one year old Jack Russel is suffering with grass allergies. Doc gave him a steroid and something else, but it's getting expensive. He only weighs 15.5 lbs. anyone know how much Benedryll he could have?
I can't answer your question about dosage but another poster said it has alcohol and can be toxic to dogs.

On page 1 of this thread StarlaJane posted about Calm Coat

Calm Coat

I ordered it a few months back to be prepared and it is FABULOUS!! This summer has not been as bad but all of a sudden 2 weeks ago my pup's skin started getting pink and he started with the digging/scratching. I put on the Calm Coat and it truly calms him down.

It's an oil so if your dog has fine hair it will make it...well...oily. Mine is a toy poodle so it makes his hair a little greasy but well worth it when he just stops the digging and scratching. It has a nice aroma.

We've had no fleas this year so that has been a bonus.

A thousand times THANK YOU to StarlaJane. Cowboy Cody says a huge thank you too Moreso I'm sure

Old 03-31-2016, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 660 times
Default Grass Allergies

My Retriever has some allergies, one allergy is grass pollen. The whites of his eyes swell and turn red. I gave him zrytec. The swelling went away unless my next dose lapses 24 hours, then the eye will become red and start to swell again. I also bath him frequently with Zymox shampoo. This shampoo helps with his biting and scratching. Zymox ear drops is an excellent product for the dogs ear infections. Dogs with allergies typically get yeast infections in their ears. I have read that fish oil vitamins, Omega 3, help with scratching too. I plan to start the vitamins tomorrow. After I bathe my retriever, I wait for his coat to dry and I apply virgin coconut oils to his fur. This has really settled the scratching. His paws I have found are starting to get red. My neighbors dog has bloody feet. I will now wipe his legs and paws down after he goes outside. to help the spread of the allergies inside the house. I wash his bedding weekly.
Good luck! I hope the grass allergy will settle once spring is over??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs