Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

My instructions were to give whatever for 10 days to see if it worked. If it didn't appear to be doing anything, then wait 4 days before trying something else....Be sure you have the appropriate dosage for your dog....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
OP, just curious how you know for sure that it's a grass allergy. Did you go through the allergy testing process?

I am in NC and have an itchy dog. We are in the middle of a food trial to rule out food allergies before doing dermatologic allergy testing. It's so frustrating. She's on prednisone and an antihistimine.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I do believe it's a grass allergy because it starts when the grass greens up and continues through Fall until the grass dies back..I wondered about the food allergy, because he does have food allergies, too.

He's been on Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato with good results (he can't tolerate wheat, soy, or corn, he breaks out in hives).

I read that dogs on the same food for a long time can develop allergies to it...so for the past 10 days I've been making him a barley, carrots, ground turkey and yellow squash food and his allergy is the same...so I'm thinking it's got to be the grass.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
One of my (human) guests has a gluten allergy and also suffers from hayfever. And when we decorated the lunch buffet with a vase filled with dry wheat stalks, she sneezed.

Otherwise, a friend from Alabama had a dog that would get itchy when walking through grass. What seemed to help his dog was spraying her legs with a mild mixture of water and white vinegar. BTW there are fungi that grow on grass.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Great tip, the white vinegar! I'll give it a whirl..might keep him from licking and biting so much. Just used a mixture of water and white vinegar to end an ant invasion in the house (sprayed it all along the baseboards, electrical outlets and window frames)..I'm beginning to think it's a natural, miracle substance...

Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks for the suggestions...my dog weighs about 32 pounds..just gave him a Bendryl with his food..we'll see if it helps...he's sleeping now...he's an older guy, around 13 so I'm nervous about giving him anything too harsh..he tends to be sensitive to prescriptions--as many Whippets are...
Benadryl also makes a spray that works really well if you don't want to give him the oral meds.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,663 times
I've seen a lot of people use Benadryl is that from the vets or the same as we take. As we have two bischon puppies and they both have red spotson the bellys and they get worse when they've been on the grass. Please somebody help I really don't want to go to the vets straight away I'd rather try natural remedies. I've also read somewhere somebody has used cider vinegar and water. Please please help

Thank you
Sam
X

Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
Sometimes it helps to "wipe the day" off your dogs...or even every time they come in from lying on the grass. Just a warm wash cloth or micro fiber towel will do. Also, you can have them wear a t-shirt to protect their bellies.

Benadryl is a safe drug to use for your doggies...here's a link so you can read about it and the proper dosing...and always check with your vet when in doubt.

OTC Medications

Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam 38 View Post
I've seen a lot of people use Benadryl is that from the vets or the same as we take. As we have two bischon puppies and they both have red spotson the bellys and they get worse when they've been on the grass. Please somebody help I really don't want to go to the vets straight away I'd rather try natural remedies. I've also read somewhere somebody has used cider vinegar and water. Please please help

Thank you
Sam
X
Sam, I use Benadryl as well - one thing I use and swear by for hot spots is a mixture of 50% Listerine original (gold) mixed with 50% plain water and sprayed on. It might help dry the red spots on the bellies or keep your dogs from itching so much but of course will not solve the underlying problem. Are you sure the spots are from just grass, or could they have flea bites or ant bites? I think a vet probably needs to assess what's going on before you lock in on natural remedies. It may be simply coincidental that being in the grass raises the spots...perhaps a food allergy that you simply notice after they've been outside. I'm sure your pups are seeing the vet regularly but a quick check is probably in order.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
We adopted an older yellow lab last spring and she gets this allergic reaction also. I try to keep her out of the grass as much as possible by just taking her on walks. I use Benedryl on a limited basis and if it gets red, I use Aveeno Calamine & Pramoxine HCI (I had it on hand because it is the only thing that will clear up the rash my son gets on his face). She likes to drag herself across the grass on her belly which definitely does not help the situation. I had heard that a lot of dogs have developed an allergy to grass. I am hoping that since we moved that maybe we won't have that particular grass-type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs