Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,788,882 times

Advertisements

I guess pet owner's are in this forum, so it may not be the best place to get help with dog barking, which is violating the city nuisance law.

It's a detailed story and need advice and technical help. Technical being electronics, etc.
We 4 families know the entire procedure and have tried a couple anti barking devices with no conclusive evidence of it working.
Two families have disabled persons and the other two have elderly with medical problems, so need some help.

Is this the right forum for complaints against dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,435,128 times
Not sure what you mean about "complaints against dogs". Are you looking for training help to stop your own dog from barking or ideas on how to get someone (a neighbor) to stop their dog from barking?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Not sure what you mean about "complaints against dogs". Are you looking for training help to stop your own dog from barking or ideas on how to get someone (a neighbor) to stop their dog from barking?
The latter and have tried two different anti barking devices.
Trying a 3rd model now.
Need advice on how to gather audio and video time dated evidence for court.
It has gotten to that stage.
3 dogs are confined 24/7 and 25 feet from my bedroom window.
I know all the legal procedures, just do not know what evidence people have used to be successful, the technical details on the electronic equipment, etc.

Yesterday 3 police, 3 complaining neighbors and 3 members of the dog owner's had a pretty serious sidewalk incident. The police talked to each group separately. So, if they asked the offenders what their plan was to solve the issue of them violating the city nuisance ordinance, the police sure didn't tell us if the owner's have a plan.

The basically told us to go before the magistrate, as they explained and we already know what the police can and can not do.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,435,128 times
Wow - I don't know if this would be the best forum for that. You may want to google for a legal forum that can give you answers for the specifics on what you should have for court. Sorry to hear about the problem!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 PM

The magistrate told me to bring the results of a decibel noise meter. Not sure how that proves time, or date, or amount of time they bark. He said that is all we need. But, I do not want to go in there without more and lose. The police suggested audio recording with time and dated and maybe video.
There will also be the records of the numerous times the police have been called out. One problem is these dogs wag their tail when you approach their 24 hour a day prison (cage). They bark for many other causes and reasons. So far, with 4-5 police visits, they arrive too late or the dogs have stopped. They can not issue a citation unless they hear the barking.
In our city and county, you go the magistrate route, and calling the police is a totally separate option. The leash law fine is $50. The dog barking nuisance fine is $250. If the ticket is contested, it is done in "criminal" court.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 PM

455 posts, read 1,241,964 times
I love dogs but I can relate to neighbours who allow their dogs to be a flaming nuisance constantly barking until silly o'clock or worse 24/7.

I can't get my head round the fact that these neighbours with nuisance dogs appear to be totally oblivious that its their dog is barking.

My dog barks that's what dogs do but I am there straightaway to see what the problem is. Don't mean to be facetious but no point having a dog if you ignore his bark when someone could be breaking into your shed or garage.

Irrespective of whether a person works nights or is disabled, we are all entitled to peace and tranquility.

Unfortunately I can't offer advice the laws in England are different.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Let me tell you a few more details. They have 4 outside dogs. 2 are caged 24/7 only 25 feet from my bedroom window. Another dog is chained 24/7 maybe 10 more feet out. Then a 4th one that is loose in the day and at night sleeps in a store room. I've called the Humane Society. They only care if there is food, water and roof, and not "what about" the 24/7 causing food and excrement to mix. These dogs play at times and spill the food on the ground. 3 of the dogs belong to other relatives that can not have outside dogs because of apartments. So, they are keeping 3 dogs that do not even belong to them. I've dealt with it since I moved in August 20th. They have known about it for 2 years because animal control and police were called by the people who used to live here. There are three of us, three different households. Our doctors can not increase the dose of out sleep meds.
They told me in September they were going to take the 2 caged ones to her sister's. Here we are in late December, and she told the police the same story yesterday.
Animal Controls only duty is to send them a letter explaining the nuisance law. They have done that.
One of the 3 police officers who came out yesterday uses a barking collar on his dog. I asked him about how he felt as far as being cruel. He said, not at all. I'd gladly pay the $40 per collar for the two in the cage. The one on the chain is not that bad. The "number" of dogs is a part of the issue. But there are no city laws on number of dogs and license or tags and shots are not required.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM

455 posts, read 1,241,964 times
Sorry to hear this it isn't fair to you or the dogs.

I have seen dog rescue programmes based in America and I was very impressed how they deal with this type of problem. It seems as though your programmes are the same as ours in reality if a dog has basic needs they don't want to know.

What is really needed is to educate people with nuisance dogs. Unfortunately for all of us they don't watch the Cesar Milan or similar programmes that are aimed at these type of dog owners.

My dog is laid out in front of the fire, no problem to anyone. We have had a a lovely long evening walk and he is knackered. This doesn't help you unfortunately but hopefully you will appreciate that not all dog owners are the same.

I hope the problem is soon resolved for you.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM

She has no options:
She can not put them in the house because there are 4 dogs.
She can not move the cage due to the shape and size of the lot, and moving it 30 feet further from me won't help.
She can not give the dogs way because only 1 of the 4 are her's. The rest are relative's dogs who live in apartments and can not have dogs.

One, remote option. I thought they owned the house. But they are tenants. I have sent a certified letter to the landlord. This landlord owns a major business in town as well as multiple rentals.
They will be a BIG help and tell the tenants to solve the nuisance law by getting rid of the dogs. Or the income from that house is so meaningless that they tell me to go jump.
So, we are not expecting partial help from the landlord. We expect ZERO or A LOT.
And the landlord is prominent. Their lawyer could run my lawyer out of town, if I had one.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,062,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The magistrate told me to bring the results of a decibel noise meter. Not sure how that proves time, or date, or amount of time they bark. He said that is all we need. But, I do not want to go in there without more and lose. The police suggested audio recording with time and dated and maybe video.
There will also be the records of the numerous times the police have been called out. One problem is these dogs wag their tail when you approach their 24 hour a day prison (cage). They bark for many other causes and reasons. So far, with 4-5 police visits, they arrive too late or the dogs have stopped. They can not issue a citation unless they hear the barking.
In our city and county, you go the magistrate route, and calling the police is a totally separate option. The leash law fine is $50. The dog barking nuisance fine is $250. If the ticket is contested, it is done in "criminal" court.
That is because most noise lasws include decibel levels like any noise. But you also will find that it variews by time of day because their are mnay noise that at times can reach tis level and still be resonable.That is the problem you relly have is its upto ypou to prove as the complainant. Mnay times even a horn can be beyonfd that level but not reqach the unresonable ness needed because of time of day. Even if the police write a tcket your stil the complaiant and need to rpove the unresonaleness. Other wise kids would be complained on many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs