Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,321,920 times

Advertisements

So we moved in on Saturday, and it begins. The neighbors have the most annoying little dog in the universe. It barks ALL DAY AND NIGHT. Our bedroom window overlooks their stoop, we can reach the damn dog if we wanted to. Last night, at 11:30, my husband has had enough and wanted to go over and tell them to shut the damn thing up but I convinced him not to. Here's a video, taken around 11pm last night. You can't see anything, just hear because it was dark. It appears to be an outside dog. My husband works from home, so this makes for some awesome conference calls!

The 2nd video is of my boys, attempting to play in their yard but unable to because that damn dog will not shut up and they are not used to constant barking and are very stressed by it. They just leave him out all the time. We live in an area where every house is on top of the other, not in the country. This is absurd that these idiots just allow the dog to bark like that. The kicker? The woman stays home with the kids, so surely she's aware. Here is a picture of the dog, taken from our bedroom window, as well as the videos. I can tell it's going to be so much fun having bbqs and parties in our yard!

I swear, we can never win in the neighbor department. We figured if we move to a place where we don't share walls with others, it will be much better. Doesn't appear to be the case! I'd be so embarrassed if my boys barked like that, we simply wouldn't allow it and would bring them in. Luckily, they're not barkers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndUdAFu1OWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs3oqdJMkv0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,439,356 times
I'm with your husband on this one. I would have been "politely" beating on the door at 11:00 to just let them know that their dog was disturbing you. It would have gone something like "I hate to meet you like this but we are your new neighbors. Your dog's barking is making it so we cannot get to sleep. Could you please let him in for the evening?" Like I said - polite but too the point!

After that...calls goes straight to the police as a nuisance call. If it gets to that point, next call is to their Landlord (if they are renting). Keep the video camera going too. It might get to the point that they decide to move!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,919,968 times
i agree, step one, talk to them politly...
step 2, police reports for noise ordinance/disturbance especially at 11:30 at night...thats ridiculous, in my town anything after 9:30 pm and the cops will issue tickets on noise disturbances from pets, vehicles or loud music ect...

you also might want to look into an outdoor bark reducer,
something along http://www.hollywoodpet.net/pet-supp...ubpage571.html

ive had good luck with one, aim it over your fenc towards the neighbors property.

a hose that "accidentally" gets sprayed over the fence is often a good deterant also, but constant barking (even during the day) if a quick word with the neighbors doesnt work would absolutly be reported as a noice disturbance.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM

From what we were told by our landlord, they bought the house a few months after ours got this one, and ours moved away shortly after. The only reason our landlord is not living here is because they are in the military and got stationed out of state for several years. So while they met these people briefly, they really didn't know much about them.

I looked up the pet noise ordinance in San Diego and it's really stupid. If this was Jersey, we could call and get it taken care of. You need at least 2 neighbors to call in order for action to be taken. There is nothing about time restrictions/duration of barking in there. The picture of the dog you see is from our bedroom window and that part of their house runs along side of ours only. The rest of their yard is blocked from the dog so that the dog can only run up and down the side of our place, meaning we are the only ones who get to hear it that clearly. The neighbors on the opposite side do not get to see the dog and might hear it, but not as clearly as us.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM

In the 2nd video, around the 34 second mark, my not too bright little boy (bless his tiny little heart!) tries to take his soccer ball into the house and walks smack into the screen door! At least he's cute, cause he's certainly not bright!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,919,968 times
lol, poor boy :P

it might be worth asking the neighbor on the other side, and if theres a neighbor behind too, dogs barking travels quite well.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM

553 posts, read 1,637,422 times
MAK, I feel for you. Our woods back to the neighbors woods and they have this yappy little dog who goes outside and barks as early as 5:30 a.m. He barks constantly every time he's outside, for up to an hour at a time (though he doesn't live outside). We tried a Viatek Bark-Off, but it didn't phase him. We politely requested they bring him inside but the neighbor is the biggest #$%*! alive. We have a meeting with the HOA, so we're hoping that will help. If not, we have to start calling the sheriff, then will have to file a complaint with the prosecutor's office. We moved from the city and thought it would be paradise. If it had happened in the city it would have been easier to resolve.

In the meantime, we bought insulating, noise reducing drapes and a noise machine with white noise and a bunch of other sounds. Not ideal, but I would rather listen to the sound of rain than the sound of yapping.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM

553 posts, read 1,637,422 times
Poor PC. I too have a dog who tried to walk through doors. They sell magnets for screen doors so dogs won't try to walk through them.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Poor PC. I too have a dog who tried to walk through doors. They sell magnets for screen doors so dogs won't try to walk through them.
Haha, I think he'll get used to it, he's just never had a door with a screen before!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post

In the meantime, we bought insulating, noise reducing drapes and a noise machine with white noise and a bunch of other sounds. Not ideal, but I would rather listen to the sound of rain than the sound of yapping.
We have an air purifier, which sounds like humming. It's loud enough to block out most noises, but apparently not when the barker is right outside your window! We might have to look into a separate sound machine. Poor PC barely slept last night, he just sat and kept moving from place to place, looking all confused! He's one of those that won't sleep through noise unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs