Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Haven't been on in a while due to trying to buy and sell a house - and move to another state with my dogs, my son, and my 88 year old father!

Anyway, we finally found a house in my price range that I think will meet all of our needs for privacy. Namely, a rec room, and three full baths.

However, it has a very tiny yard (Ringo will hate it and Lucy won't care). It comes with an underground fence. I note that the neighbor's fences are all picket fences about 4 feet tall. Problem is - there is too much space between the boards and Lucy can get out. There is an active HOA so I doubt I'm going to be allowed a privacy fence like I have now. Most of the yards are quite small compared to what I'm used to.

What to do??? My dogs are used to about 1/2 acre of fenced yard. Can I make it up to them with all the cool walking trails? Can I use the underground fence long enough to get a real fence and hopefully one that will keep my yorkie in??

How am I going to keep my active Westie in a small yard with an underground fence? I don't think that collar will stop him for one minute if he sees something interesting.

So many questions; so little time. Thanks for any advice. I'm really worried about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
I really don't like those underground fence thingies. I'd always be worried about exactly what you're worried about with Ringo. ESCAPE! To use the collar/fence, you'll have to train him. But still... possibility of ESCAPE!

I'd get a real fence up as soon as you can. As for the smaller lot, I wouldn't worry about it even for a second. Y'know what? Dogs are the most adaptable creatures I've ever seen. Ringo will totally adapt to his smaller place. Lucy won't care, like you said.

I was visiting my cousins this past weekend and they have a 60-pound dog in a yard that's less than half the size of mine, where 35-pound Artie runs his guts out. Wally (their dog) was running around like a mad-man, just in smaller circles than Artie gets. (I'd say that their yard was the size of a football field, but half of it is a multi-level deck, so Wally really only gets HALF a football field. And he does GREAT! and gets his exercise mojo going.)

And the walks on the trails? They'll love it!

Dogs adjust and adapt in minutes. You'll see. I'm more concerned about your Dad!

And, finally, HUGE congratulations on the move and the new house. Who's going to clean all those bathrooms?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Who's going to clean all those bathrooms?
Is it not obvious?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
My step daughter has rented out her basement to a friend of her husband's who is about to retire from the Army. He set one of those invisible fences up for his dog around their yard. Angel is used to this from where they've lived before. A couple weeks later, since Angel had been a good dog, Jay decided to treat her to a ride to town in the truck. But he forgot to take her collar off her and couldn't figure out what in the world was going on when she fell in the floor of the truck howling her head off. When he did stop, he couldn't get that thing off her quick enough to suit her! Said he couldn't see where any damage was done.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Is it not obvious?
HAHA! Very funny. That's about as likely as my teen-age son cleaning them.

Thanks for the input guys and reassuring words that Ringo will adapt to his small yard. I plan to get a fence up but it might take me a few weeks. I never have liked those underground fences - ever.

Yes, I am worried about my Dad too - but he seems excited about it for now. He's big on eating out and he will have all kinds of new restaurants to try.

Fingers crossed.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Hey everyone,

Haven't been on in a while due to trying to buy and sell a house - and move to another state with my dogs, my son, and my 88 year old father!

Anyway, we finally found a house in my price range that I think will meet all of our needs for privacy. Namely, a rec room, and three full baths.

However, it has a very tiny yard (Ringo will hate it and Lucy won't care). It comes with an underground fence. I note that the neighbor's fences are all picket fences about 4 feet tall. Problem is - there is too much space between the boards and Lucy can get out. There is an active HOA so I doubt I'm going to be allowed a privacy fence like I have now. Most of the yards are quite small compared to what I'm used to.

What to do??? My dogs are used to about 1/2 acre of fenced yard. Can I make it up to them with all the cool walking trails? Can I use the underground fence long enough to get a real fence and hopefully one that will keep my yorkie in??

How am I going to keep my active Westie in a small yard with an underground fence? I don't think that collar will stop him for one minute if he sees something interesting.

So many questions; so little time. Thanks for any advice. I'm really worried about it.
Has your house sold? I hope so!

I think they'll get used to a smaller yard. I think Cesar (I know, he's a controversial topic on the forum) says something like a big yard is just a big cage, and dogs need exercise. My dogs have a pretty small yard, but they do fine. They would rather be around us anyway, and we walk them pretty much every day. I think yours will be fine with walking trails.

My mom has underground fence, and even though her dogs are crazy and want to chase everything, including birds, neither has ever left the yard, and it's been 5 years. Actually, my aunt has had invisible fence for a long time, and none of her three dogs left either. I think you have to be consistent with training. If you're going to put up a fence and not use the invisible fence, I might just take them out on leashes for a few weeks.

One of our problems in finding a house we like are the restrictions on fencing, so I know what you're going through. However, some HOAs in neighborhoods we're considering allow wire fencing combined with split rail. It might be worth asking if you could do a picket fence and wire. The wire is pretty much invisible from the street.

Or, train them for the invisible fence, and put up the picket to keep other dogs out and further deter your dogs from running off.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs