Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 43,500 times

Advertisements

Okay so I have a 7year old cocker spaniel,1 year old apbt/ am. bulldog mix and 2yr old rottweiler, and everytime they're done eating or drinkind they either pee or poop in their food and/or water bowls. Well the pooping is mostly the rottweiler and the peeing is done by the pit and cocker spaniel. So EVERY morning when I'm about to feed them I'm forced to clean out their pee/poop from their bowls why do they do this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
i honestly dont know, ive NEVER heard of them peeing/pooping in water/food dishes, its actually a very unnatural behaviour.

peeing could be a marking behaviour...but its not something im familar with...

Old 02-05-2011, 03:55 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
I'm with foxy on this one, never heard of it, but what a pain for you. The only thing I could think to try would be to get new bowls, get rid of the scent and maybe it would stop.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
I can't tell you why but I've had the same problem. Mainly the peeing from several, only a couple with the popping. All Pit Bulls though.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Very strange. Are they in a very small area? Are the dishes outside? Is there an insect problem near their food area? Do you walk your dogs?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
are the bowls plastic?
mabe its a pitbull think and the cocker is just following suit.
are these dogs all spay/neutered?

edit to add:

ok did a little digging online.

aparently this is a common behaviour for dogs from small kennel/puppy mill like situations. in these dogs it seems to be a combination of 1: not enough space to go otherwise, and 2: teritorial, marking a food/water bowl as theirs so not having to share it...
these can become habits in adult dogs from these situations

so i guess my first question would be, do they each have their own food dishes and a couple of water bowls to go around and are they fed in their own spaces?
if they are fed close together try feeding them in thier own spaces so they dont feel the need to "claim" their bowls. and make sure there are a few waterbowls in various places around the home and yard so they dont feel the need to "claim" one...

i would also suggest if not already, switch to stainless steel bowls

the other suggestion i am seeing associated with this problem is using raised feeders...essentially raise the food bowls off the ground, make each bowl low enough that they can eat comfortably, but not low enough to be able to crouch over it. in terms of water dishes, try using buckets/raised feeders again to discourage it.

i also ouldnt leave food out for them...

it does make sense that this could be a teritorial behaviour...

hope this helps.

Last edited by foxywench; 02-05-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
I've seen it happen with stainless too. Though that is easier to disinfectant.

Territorial thing kinda makes sense.

I don't know what will really stop them. We had thos big thing to put water in, the dogs could fit in it, like they could get in and one of my ex dogs kept popping in it. I guess he wanted to claim that for his own. On the other hand my in laws always have a kiddie pool for their Pits and they never do this sort of thing. Lol some dogs.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
are the bowls plastic?
mabe its a pitbull think and the cocker is just following suit.
are these dogs all spay/neutered?

edit to add:

ok did a little digging online.

aparently this is a common behaviour for dogs from small kennel/puppy mill like situations. in these dogs it seems to be a combination of 1: not enough space to go otherwise, and 2: teritorial, marking a food/water bowl as theirs so not having to share it...
these can become habits in adult dogs from these situations
This was my thought, and I was wondering if any of them are rescues who may have been kept in bad, unsanitary conditions, pre-rescue.

It's similar to how some rescues will not keep their crates free of waste, as dogs will instinctually do, if they were raised in environments where that wasn't a possiblity. Bad patterns get set by people who keep dogs in awful conditions, and then those of us who adopt rescued dogs get the fun job of working to undo the damage.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 43,500 times
ok did a little digging online.aparently this is a common behaviour for dogs from small kennel/puppy mill like situations. in these dogs it seems to be a combination of 1: not enough space to go otherwise, and 2: teritorial, marking a food/water bowl as theirs so not having to share it...these can become habits in adult dogs from these situationsso i guess my first question would be, do they each have their own food dishes and a couple of water bowls to go around and are they fed in their own spaces?if they are fed close together try feeding them in thier own spaces so they dont feel the need to "claim" their bowls. and make sure there are a few waterbowls in various places around the home and yard so they dont feel the need to "claim" one..

They all eat in separate rooms and are let out after they eat and drink anything. But when they get back in they feel the need to pee in their bowls. Both the Cocker Spaniel and Rottweiler came from reputable breeders both registerd and everything...but my neighbors gave me the pit mix so I'm not so sure about this one.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 10,597 times
We have a pitbull and another dog in a kennel and every day there is poop in their water I am not sure which dog is doing it or why it started 3 months ago. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop them or why they do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs