Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times

Advertisements

If you dont give a dog a good chance in life what way can it turn out? If youre a drug dealer and abuse it, how else can it grow up ? The environment in which an animal grows up plays a huge part in how it will act.

I put my lab down in December after it tried to bite a child. Were not irresponsible just because scumbags like my dog too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If you dont give a dog a good chance in life what way can it turn out? If youre a drug dealer and abuse it, how else can it grow up ? The environment in which an animal grows up plays a huge part in how it will act.

I put my lab down in December after it tried to bite a child. Were not irresponsible just because scumbags like my dog too.
While I understand that environment is 99% of it, I really don't understand this line of discussion.... again... what does it matter to the person bit? Does a dog get a pass on aggressive behavior because it was raised in a crappy home? How does any of that directly relate to the person (or animal) who is attacked?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:08 AM

No, no dog gets a pass on agressive behavoir because of its upbringing. But at the same time we have to pass alot of the blame onto the owners. You have to sympathise for a crap up bringing. I can point out a few children in my area that are major criminals in the making because of their parents, they never stood a chance either.

What im trying to get you to understand that dogs are not human agressive by nature, sure they can bite or whatever. Most dogs have to be abused to be human agressive, and its not just PitBulls, its ANY dog. And all of the pitbull and other "agressive breed" owners consider tying a dog up 24hrs a day, or throwing it in the back yard to ignore it abusive. Why, because that dog is not taught any social skills, so it by nature, becomes defensive of anything its not used to, people included.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Brian,

I see, and agree with your points, but still stand by my own.

Like I said, a Pit's image problem is it's OWNER'S problem, not the average passerby problem. I'm wary of ALL strange dogs but pits in particular get my attention simply because of their reputation and their "ability" to do serious harm. It's no different then treating big boa and a little garden snake differently. I'll stand by that regardless of whether "good pit" owners think I'm ignorant or not.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 AM

People arent trying to force opinions on anybody, just hoping theyll look at the bigger picture. Thanks for listening

Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM

same here, good discussion, thank you.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:45 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

People arent trying to force opinions on anybody, just hoping theyll look at the bigger picture. Thanks for listening
That's true.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,376,530 times
It sounds like the dog versus owner, can be compared to rebelious kid versus parent.

Who's in the wrong? the dog that bites the child? or the owner that was neglectful in doggie training.

who's in the wrong? the kid that sets fire to his school? or the parents that were neglectful in . . . .raising their kid?

Pointing fingers doesn't help. But it's fun!
honestly, I would like to think I'm open minded enough to agree that perhaps the situation is different for every issue, every dog, etc. The problem is, city ordiances and court appeals are not allowed to be so "case by case" sensitive, without it looking like bribery, favoritism, etc.

I don't know about you guys - but all this talk has changed my views.
I'm going to get a doggie. a big slobbery scary loooking sweetest doggie in the world. and love him to death.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 PM

If you want a slobbery doggie invest in cloths! lol

Old 07-24-2007, 01:26 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Thumbs up For Fiddlekitten...

Did I hear BIG? Scary looking? Slobbery???

Congrats! You need......a MASTIFF!

Here's a picture of my son with his rescued brindle mastiff, Bo - just click the image on to make it larger - Bo's head is about twice as big as Dallas'...and he just graduated from obedience school (the dog, not the attorney son - he's not very obedient anymore)...Bo weighs about 180 lbs. now but had to go to OB because he has a terrible fear of anything that weighs less than about 85 lbs....he absolutely quakes if he sees a little dog! He's a doll...if you want slobber, this is your breed!
Attached Thumbnails
For Ignorant People!!!watch This!!!-dallas-bo.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs