Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,376,530 times

Advertisements

oh oh oh so cute! and so happy looking! both of them! lol

I just have this overall urge to take it upon myself to start housing the lesser-loved doggies of the world... just because some would see them as intimidating - doesn't mean they don't have pure hearts of gold, and would do anything for you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:49 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,871 times
Sam I Am, your son's doggie is so adorable!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Just because you disagree with my opinion or assessment, doesn't make me ignorant.
Ignorant: uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication; uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge;

Now, Lastra is not saying that people that don't like "pit bulls" are ignorant. As she and I have both already said, she is referring to the people that are ill informed, know nothing truthful about these breeds and state their uneducated (or ignorant) opinions as if they are facts. Not liking something, for whatever reason, does not make someone ignorant. I don't like small dogs or frilly looking dogs like poodles, but I don't go around stating my uneducated opinions as if they were facts. It's perfectly fine for someone to not like something, it's not okay for someone to be misleading to other easily influenced people that know nothing truthful about these breeds either.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlekitten View Post
oh oh oh so cute! and so happy looking! both of them! lol

I just have this overall urge to take it upon myself to start housing the lesser-loved doggies of the world... just because some would see them as intimidating - doesn't mean they don't have pure hearts of gold, and would do anything for you!!!
I had to tell you that I loved this post! You got rep. points from me for this one!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,871 times
Thanks for backing me up PBM!!!You're a wonderful person!!!No wonder your doggies love you so much.As well as your husband.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Surely you mean to say that these drug dealers drag them around ? The dog didnt ask for a scumbag to adopt it.
No, I think he (she?) meant what he said... I see it too ALL the time, people getting dragged around by them - literally. And yes, I see this happen with other large breeds too, so it applies to more than just Pits! Bottom line, if you can't control your dog, you shouldn't have gotten them in the first place. My dog occasionally pulls on the leash, which is why we now use a special harness, but I have 100% control of him at all times (at least when he's on-leash ).

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-24-2007 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 08:09 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Did I hear BIG? Scary looking? Slobbery???

Congrats! You need......a MASTIFF!

Here's a picture of my son with his rescued brindle mastiff, Bo - just click the image on to make it larger - Bo's head is about twice as big as Dallas'...and he just graduated from obedience school (the dog, not the attorney son - he's not very obedient anymore)...Bo weighs about 180 lbs. now but had to go to OB because he has a terrible fear of anything that weighs less than about 85 lbs....he absolutely quakes if he sees a little dog! He's a doll...if you want slobber, this is your breed!
Awwww... that's a cute doggie. I remember the first time I met a Mastiff, when I was working at a dog kennel (in high school)... scared the heck out of me, until I realized he was just a big, slobbery wuss.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,910,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I'm wary of ALL strange dogs but pits in particular get my attention simply because of their reputation and their "ability" to do serious harm. It's no different then treating big boa and a little garden snake differently. I'll stand by that regardless of whether "good pit" owners think I'm ignorant or not.

Stand by whatever opinion you'd like.

But I disagree with "ability" to do serious harm.
Any dog with teeth has the ability to do harm.
It's profiling...similar to racial profiling to single out "pits"...it's very wrong.
I contribute all of that to media hype.
And people...{READ:not you in general}...that have no education
on the dogs.

And that's the opinion I stand by.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,910,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Did I hear BIG? Scary looking? Slobbery???

Congrats! You need......a MASTIFF!

Here's a picture of my son with his rescued brindle mastiff, Bo - just click the image on to make it larger - Bo's head is about twice as big as Dallas'...and he just graduated from obedience school (the dog, not the attorney son - he's not very obedient anymore)...Bo weighs about 180 lbs. now but had to go to OB because he has a terrible fear of anything that weighs less than about 85 lbs....he absolutely quakes if he sees a little dog! He's a doll...if you want slobber, this is your breed!

He is very handsome...your son's not too bad either...hehe..

My brother has four mastiff's. They look in color, similar to your son's.
One female is fawn colored. They all weigh close to 200 lbs. And they do slobber!...lol...they love kids, other dogs, people friendly. Awesome dogs!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, I think he (she?) meant what he said... I see it too ALL the time, people getting dragged around by them - literally. And yes, I see this happen with other large breeds too, so it applies to more than just Pits! Bottom line, if you can't control your dog, you shouldn't have gotten them in the first place. My dog occasionally pulls on the leash, which is why we now use a special harness, but I have 100% control of him at all times (at least when he's on-leash ).
I couldn't agree with you more! I don't see why people get a breed that they know nothing about and/ or cannot control! I wouldn't be able to control a large breed dog so, I wouldn't own a large breed dog. I can't stand seeing people get walked by their dog! Yes, our dogs do occasionally pull a bit, but they are very well train, very obedient, very friendly, they are never outside without being on a leash and if God forbid, anything ever did happen, we would have no problem controlling our dogs 100%.

I do have to say though, that most of these huge, monster pits that people see are not really pits, or at least they aren't pure bred pits. A very common misconception is that "pit bulls" are these huge muscle bound hulks, when in fact, they are not. All three "pit bull" breeds are small to medium breeds, they were bred small for their original purpose, dog fighting. American Pit Bull Terriers are supposed to be around 18-22 inches and anywhere between 22 and 70 or so pounds. American Staffordshire Terriers are supposed to be around 16-19 inches and 57-67 pounds, and Staffordshire Bull Terriers are supposed to be around 13-16 inches and 23-38 pounds. Most of the "pit bulls" that are large have been crossed with a large breed. I know that really doesn't have too much to do with this, but it seems like people think that these breeds are large breeds, and as I said, that is not the majority. It's sad, but all of these gang bangers, drug dealers, thugs, dog fighters, etc want the biggest, baddest dog they can get so, they end up with poorly bred mixed breeds so that they look like they have a monster pit. Then, to top it all off, they won't properly raise, train and socialize their dog, they will abuse and neglect their dog, they will train it specifically to be mean and fight or they just won't raise, train and socialize their dog at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs