Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,935 times

Advertisements

For the past 2 days I ran laps around my neighborhood using the sidewalks. I do this often and have never had any issues. Well yesterday and today I came head on with a lady and a large, aggressive German Shephard. It tried to bite me every time I ran past them. She walks on the side of the sidewalk with him on the grass, so in theory there is PLENTY of room for me to run by them. But when I dorun by them her dog tries to eat me. She shortens the least and does what she can to stop him, but he got pretty close a few times.

I know, I know...why would I keep running past them if I know her dog is aggressive. Well, IMO she should cross the street when someone is approaching because she is the one with the hard to control dog. So basically I played chicken with her and today I cut my run short because I was fed up and I knew I wouldn't be able to the next time I saw her.

Am I wrong to think that SHE should cross the street or at least move up on the grass to keep people passing her out of harms way? She stands her ground like it's normal to have an out of control dog. I so badly wanted to give her the card to our dog trainer because my German Shepard mix wouldn't hurt a fly and I know it is because we trained him right from the beginning. UGH.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
whenever i am walking my dogs and we are passed or approached by a jogger or someone just moving more quickly than we are, i always keep them off to the side and away from the other person.... just common courtesy, imo.....

Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,052,827 times
*I* have the aggressive Artie-monster, *I* am the one who moves.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,050,593 times
If I were a jogger I would be looking ahead of me at all times for potential issues.

Rather than "play chicken" and come home early -- and angry -- I would focus on how I could make my jog more enjoyable.

IMHO, you can focus on who is right and who is wrong or you can choose to enjoy your run and decide to avoid potential problems.

To me, this is an example of "doing the same thing expecting a different outcome"... if you know what I mean.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,690,917 times
The owner of the dog who knows it is aggressive, should be the one taking the extra steps to control their dog. They should step off the sidewalk and give the pedestrians distance, cross to the other side, or take some other action. If the dog is simply being a mean spirited dog but is not actually attempting to bite, thats a bit different and hugging it to the owners side may be acceptable. But if it is trying to throw down on you and wants to rumble with its teeth, that's just aggesssion and if the owner is not capable of fully controlling it, the next time you might get bitten.

If this is happening regularly and you can pin down the time that person is out with their dog, contact animal control or who ever has jurisdiction for aggressive dogs and place them on notice with all the details. If they know when to come out and see the actions, they may do so and can take action under aggressive dog laws if needed.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:16 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,064,335 times
I always move to the side and let the person pass. However it doesn't sound like this lady has a clue and if she does she certainly has no shame. For me confrontation with a person like that just leads to me being more frustrated. I would make a big production of giving her dog a wide berth and probably drop the trainers business card on the sidewalk.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
If I were a jogger I would be looking ahead of me at all times for potential issues.

Rather than "play chicken" and come home early -- and angry -- I would focus on how I could make my jog more enjoyable.

IMHO, you can focus on who is right and who is wrong or you can choose to enjoy your run and decide to avoid potential problems.

To me, this is an example of "doing the same thing expecting a different outcome"... if you know what I mean.

Yes, ^^^ that! A lot easier for the jogger to run around on the street than for the dog walker to avert the jogger. Running towards a dog -- especially a protective breed -- can stir him up. He might assume you are a potential attacker. IMHO, common sense says the person who can accommodate the situation more easily should extend him/herself. Its being a gentleman to just make it a bit easier for a dog walker when you both have equal rights to the sidewalk......

Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,050,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Yes, ^^^ that!
A lot easier for the jogger to run around on the street than for the dog walker to avert the jogger.
Running towards a dog -- especially a protective breed -- can stir him up. He might assume you are a potential attacker.
IMHO, common sense says the person who can accommodate the situation more easily should extend him/herself.
Its being a gentleman to just make it a bit easier for a dog walker when you both have equal rights to the sidewalk......
I'm so glad you brought up the fact that a runner running toward them would seem threatening to most dogs...

I agree totally with your post. Thank you!

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-23-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I always move to the side and let the person pass. However it doesn't sound like this lady has a clue and if she does she certainly has no shame. For me confrontation with a person like that just leads to me being more frustrated. I would make a big production of giving her dog a wide berth and probably drop the trainers business card on the sidewalk.
oooh, I like this. She has no clue and no shame, it's pretty clear. I'd like to think I have the nerve to drop her a business card, too

Big dogs don't bother me, but big dogs that are stronger than their owner and who try to lunge at me passing them do. My version of running is not fullspeed ahead...it's more of a jog, but yes, this can seem threatening to an unsocialized/aggressive/protective dog. I just think that it wouldn't take much to walk up on the grass if you have an aggressive dog. Our sidewalks are heavily used by people of all ages and not all of them will know that she can't control her dog when passing, especially kids who don't know any better and will walk up to any dog.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Ok here goes, why in the heck is this an issue. Jog across the street. The owner is an idiot but who cares. What can you control? YOURSELF.

Just an assumption but the running was probably triggering the Chase, tackle and kill instinct that is very strong in Germans. Why do you think they make such great guard and police dogs?

Ok that's solved anyone want to hear the cure for cancer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs