Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM

754 posts, read 1,739,153 times

Advertisements

My 7-year old male Pom seems to become VERY agitated when my fiance and I are intimate in any way. If my finace kisses me, he growls at him. If we are all on the couch and my fiance puts his arms around me, he mean mugs him lol (like stares at him with an 'i dare you' look). But the worst part is when we get busy (sorry for the TMI). He literally goes crazy. He rips up any and all clothes he can find (he's ruined SIX of my night shirts and TWO pairs of my underwear!). He runs around growling and barking. He has even jumped on my fiance and nipped him! Now, we try to lock him out of the room (him and my other Pom) when we are having fun, but we are a young, engaged couple and we love spontaneity! We'll have kids soon enough where we'll be restricted to after bedtime in the bedroom, we don't want to start doing that now. Regardless if we lock them out, they just growl, scratch and yelp at the door, which is very distracting. PLUS our dogs sleep in the bedroom with us, so even if it's very late and we are playing around, here he comes jumping on the bed like a psycho! I think it has to do with jealousy, but my fiance says it's because he is sexually frustrated (lol). My mother seems to think that he is interpreting the 'action' as me being hurt.

Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
My dog thinks he owns me -- I belong to him. So, he gets very agitated (i.e. barking and jumping) when my husband kisses me, hugs me, tickles me, whatever...

Artie (my dog) does not sleep in our bedroom. My husband and I would never have sex again if Artie slept in our room -- Artie would kill him.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
You need to put the dog down the pecking order, show him you and your fiance are in control and not him. I do this by making my dog sit for anything, before hes aloowed out to go poo, before he comes back in. He never runs out doors I go first and simple stuff like that. It works (for me anyway) and I am sure there are people with much better techniques than me.

You might want to also consider crating the dog at night if it destroys things like that.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Yep, that little Pom is the Alpha dog. Time for both of you to step up and reclaim it for yourselves.

Some things I do to establish and maintain the Alpha role:

• I never move out of the way for her, she has to move for me or she gets stepped on or slammed by my shinbones.
• She sits in front of the door until I exit, and doesn't exit until commanded to do so.
• She sits in front of her food bowl until given permission to eat.
• I never give her food from my hand, I toss it away from me as if I don't want it anymore. That way she's reinforced as being "below the salt". She's not allowed to go after it until I say so.
• I always eat first.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yep, that little Pom is the Alpha dog. Time for both of you to step up and reclaim it for yourselves.

• I never move out of the way for her, she has to move for me or she gets stepped on or slammed by my shinbones.
• She sits in front of the door until I exit, and doesn't exit until commanded to do so.
• I never give her food from my hand, I toss it away from me as if I don't want it anymore. That way she's reinforced as being "below the salt". She's not allowed to go after it until I say so.
• I always eat first.
Artie will never survive Jack's bootcamp!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
neither would bailey and dave....

Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I had Dobermans for almost 30 years. One learns that Alpha stuff out of necessity with that breed. They WILL challenge their human. Sometimes more than once.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

• I always eat first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
neither would bailey and dave....
Chessie are also notorious for being pushy and bossy. I agree with everything above and think 2 of my three could even be instructors at Jack's boot camp! We'd help whip those little bad boys in shape in no time!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Awww but look at this little face! I'm a sucker!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Can Dogs Sense *cough cough* Adult Action?-titan.bmp  

Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Ok but seriously, aside from the food suggestion, I don't have a problem with the other issues mentioned (I always exit before him and my other Pom does, etc). My Pom will NOT listen to my fiance, even when he calls him he responds when he feels like it, but he always listens to me. So should I have my fiance do some these drills with him? I think he sees himself as superior over him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs