Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,171,895 times

Advertisements

Maybe the topic needed revisiting.

Trial date set for man charged in Flagler Beach shooting | News-JournalOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,247,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
OK.. I have an ahole for a neighbor, in the 2 years I have lived here this is the only time he said anything to me.
He was mowing his grass and I was standing on my deck in my backyard watching the dogs play, when they heard/saw him and started barking at the chain link fence. He started yelling at them and was walking toward my yard with something in his hand when he saw me, at that point he started screaming at me threatened to call the police because the dogs barked at him. "I am tired of your dogs barking at me and my kids. There is a noise ordinance"..
Now, my dogs go out only a couple of times a day to do their thing.. and sometimes they play and run around my fenced yard. This man was suspected of poisoning the Yorkie who lived here before me and another dog. The Yorkie got out of the fence and the other dog will walk down our street and then back to his house. I have heard him tell his young boys he didn't care if they killed the dog.

I let the dogs out this afternoon and they saw his boys playing in their yard, of course, they barked, I then saw the oldest (13 yo) go over and kick at his fence (yes he has a his own chain link fence as do I)
I did go to the police station and they said I could file an harassment charge on him if he threatened me, but to be honest I couldn't hear everything he was saying because of the lawnmower.
I just wish I had known about him before I bought this house. What would you do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I would invest in a privacy fence. Dogs will often not bark at what they don't see.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and I'd go one step further, install a outside video camera in the event that this person throws poisonous laced food or treat in your yard for your dogs.

I had to do this at my apartment too since I have crappy neighbors, my video is on 24/7 and I can record to DVD in 6 hour lengths, my setup cost me a couple hundred bucks, but I can rest easier now. My crappy neighbors know of my video camera, which in itself is a deterrent to foul play.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
I cannot imagine there is anything else that could be said about this topic after 5 years and 71 posts, what other advice could be given, or whatever other criticism could be wielded by one post wonders in the Dogs forum...the Florida case is recent, yes, but pretty much a fluke or you'd have found hundreds of articles of murders over barking dogs. Although we live in a crazy world, I have to believe that was just a freak occurrence. I personally am not going to stress out and fear for my life because my dogs had a barking spell. If that happens, y'all just say the Universe had another plan for ol' Sam other than to post on C-D

All that being said (and slipping into mod mode)...PLEASE - look at the date stamp before responding, and try to at least spot check a thread for developments before commenting. There are several reasons for this: one is that the problem may be years old and be a singular problem that has long since passed (whether to adopt, specific health concerns, etc.). Please utilize the Search function before posting. There may be a thread that is more recent than 5 years old that has current members participating in it and more recent information, such as dog foods, flea prevention, vaccines, etc. There's really no new topic under the sun, but there may be newer information on some topics in a more recent thread.

We have a number of very knowledgeable posters in this forum and I thank you for your participation. We also have newbies who truly are seeking information, and arguments and bickering do nothing to advance the cause. As well all know - and you can start groaning now - sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs lie. (OMG - I cannot believe I am putting that HORRIBLE pun out there for the world to see).

Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 PM

6 posts, read 5,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I'll never understand why dog-haters choose to come into this forum to post.....
Attempting to deflect responsibility with terms like "dog-hater" is counterproductive. This is about irresponsible dog owners and their apologists. No one can deny a dog is a huge responsibility that can quickly turn into a liability in the wrong hands. Just ask the countless victims of nuisance barkers and their attorneys. Harboring an animal that chronically force feeds 100-plus decibels into another person's home is an inherently hostile act on the part of the dog owner. Further, it's an act easily abated. There's simply no excuse in the age of bark collars, etc for this irresponsibility. When someone adopts a dog they're agreeing not only to maintain the well being of the animal but to do so in a way that doesn't interfere with the neighbor's right to quiet enjoyment of property. An habitually barking dog is a violation on both fronts and demonstrates ineptitude, malice, and/or callous disregard on part of the owner.

Last edited by UptownGuy; 02-11-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs