Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 AM

16 posts, read 52,895 times

Advertisements

Thank you again everyone!

I don't know that I'm really that good of a person because I'm not sure I could do this again anytime soon. Not only the heartbreak of it but it was just really hard work having an extra set of four legs running around. Big Kudos to all of you that do this kind of work. I have a glimpse of how difficult it can be and you guys are amazing and selfless.

Brad (that is what we named him) wasn't a skinny/scared/abused type of dog. I think he probably had a "home" where someone put out food for him and he just hung around. However, he wasn't wearing a collar, was always outside in cold/wet weather and as I said, had heartworms. I felt really bad for him though because he was probably quite happy with existence (from a dog's point of view). Within a week of picking him up we had him treated for heartworms and that was pretty awful. I felt so bad for him. After he had recovered from the actual injections (did I mention that part was AWFUL?), keeping him quiet for 30 days was really challenging. I'm sure he was wondering why his world had been turned upside down.

Anyway I took my two (high maintenance on their own!) dogs for a walk last night and appreciated the ease of just have two, rather than three.

I'll call the shelter when they open to see if Brad was actually adopted yesterday.

Thank you all again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM

268 posts, read 704,955 times
You did a wonderful thing. You saved a life. Thank you !

Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,753 times
Aw, thanks for helping Brad. I'm a foster failure (b/c Odie takes too much time to get comfortable with other dogs) but I totally understand the bittersweet feeling you get when the dog moves on to a forever home. You can't save/keep them all, but the difference you made for Brad is enormous. One rescue guy I know always tells the dogs "I'll see you at the Rainbow Bridge," instead of saying goodbye. You have a heart of gold :-)

Last edited by dogmomof2; 03-20-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,521,301 times
2people I know just exactly how you feel that is why I am not a foster, that and an apt prohibits it, but I would be a total basket case or the crazy lady with 100 cats and dogs and probably appear in "animal hoarders" on animal planet. I get so attached it aint even funny. I am hoping though that once my new job settles down I can volunteer at the Humane Society here. Surely I can find time in the month to help out. You did a wonderful thing, as my late mother always said you get another star in your crown.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM

16 posts, read 52,895 times
Default It's official

He was adopted.

Sounds like a really nice family adopted him. He will be a house dog but they have a large (fenced) yard that backs up to the bayou (lots of bayous in Houston). They called today to find out what we had been feeding him and when, etc. My husband told them to please let us know if it didn't work out and we would take him back. They said they would but they didn't see that happening.

I'm feeling better today in general and I'm glad he found a good home. And honestly, it is nice to be back to 8 legs of chaos as opposed to 12.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words, it was very helpful.

And now I'm retreating back to lurkdom.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,103,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2people2dogs View Post
He was adopted.

Sounds like a really nice family adopted him. He will be a house dog but they have a large (fenced) yard that backs up to the bayou (lots of bayous in Houston). They called today to find out what we had been feeding him and when, etc. My husband told them to please let us know if it didn't work out and we would take him back. They said they would but they didn't see that happening.

I'm feeling better today in general and I'm glad he found a good home. And honestly, it is nice to be back to 8 legs of chaos as opposed to 12.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words, it was very helpful.

And now I'm retreating back to lurkdom.
Awww, it's such a good news for Brad. Really, it is. And I'm happy that you're feeling better. It's all good.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,575,073 times
I don't foster because my dogs don't welcome visitors, but I have been volunteering at a local shelter-adoption center, and see many fosters. What you are experiencing is normal for new fosters, which is the role you've taken with this stray.

It is why there are many foster "failures" (where the fosters end up adopting).

You obviously have a warm, caring nature and it is usual for one like yourself to miss the adopted, but fill that lonely gap with the joy of knowing you have bridged the gap to a forever home.

God bless you for your kindness.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

737 posts, read 2,591,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2people2dogs View Post
He was adopted.
Congratulations! Thanks for the posts. Good discussion and new family for Brad, yay!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,005,785 times
I cry every time a foster dog goes to his/her forever home. I'm happy for them, but sad for me! You did a really wonderful thing by taking him in. Bless you.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,066,287 times
I don't foster for the same reason that LookinForMayberry does not.... that and with the crew I already have, I feel like I am at my limit.... any more and NO ONE would get the time and attention they need and deserve ....

BUT... I do do home visits and I transport..... and when I take a dog from a foster to his or her new forever home, I always let them know that we (the foster mom and me) LOVE updates as time permits.....

more often than not, we do get an occasional update and that makes my WHOLE day.... maybe if you let Brad's new family know that you love updates, they will do the same for you.....

and even if they do not, you can rest easy knowing you did a GOOD thing and that Brad is alive and happy and loved .... thanks to you and your kind and generous heart......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs