Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,072,412 times

Advertisements

I've always had a picky eater of a dog. A lot of people I've met who also have Yorkshire Terriers also tell me that theirs is picky also. My little guy has been thru numerous of brands. I know ya'll will say "if a dog is hungry enough he will eat". I've literally seen him sniff and walk away and not eat for more than a day. If he did, a kibble or two. I've mixed wet with his dry and after a while, he will pick out the wet. I've tried wet mixed with dry in the day and dry at night. At times he won't eat at night. Plus, he only will eat if he plays anyways. I've cut down so much on his treats, so he really just gets his chewy vitamins which seems to give him an appetite. Any suggestions are apprecitated. Also, what brands do ya'll feed your dogs~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,299,953 times
I share your pain. Shadow is so finicky, sometimes I wonder if she is part cat.

Currently she is eating Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula. Early in her life she would not even sniff a fish based food.

She does not like duck. She does not like buffalo. She does not like rabbit. Sometimes she likes venison, but it is hit or miss. My fingers are crossed very, very hard that she does not wake up one morning and decide that she no longer likes salmon.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 AM

That is one brand that we haven't tried. He's on "Purina's Pro Plan" now. I've also mixed in the "Pedigree" wet chunks (which I cut up) that we got for a free sample at the dog show recently. He'll eat that mixed with his dry. I've got some canned wet of "Pro-Plan" which he may or may not eat at times. I know he's not on such a good food now, but he literally gave up eating on "Blue Buffalo" and "Royal Canine".

Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,299,953 times
Are all the foods he does not want to eat chicken based? Maybe he just doesn't like chicken.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Are all the foods he does not want to eat chicken based? Maybe he just doesn't like chicken.
Yes, they are chicken. I've tried fish and even turkey in the "Blue Buffalo" thinking also maybe he won't eat chicken. I've done a taste test on him, by putting samples on a plate of the different kinds. He like chicken over the others.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM

99 posts, read 532,248 times
Have you looked in his mouth? Even way in the back? Any bad breath? Yorkies are notorious for have bad mouths/dental problems.

If his mouth is deemed fine. Cut out all the treats. A five pound pooch will only eat 1/4 cup of food per day. 4-5 treats can satisfy this, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's why he has no appetite. If you gave me several snicker bars in the morning and then expected me to eat dinner... yea right!

Are the kibbles small or large? If it is regular sized kibble he will only need a few to get his daily fill.

How is his weight and body condition?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Have you looked in his mouth? Even way in the back? Any bad breath? Yorkies are notorious for have bad mouths/dental problems.
He's 3.5 years old and only last year I had his baby teeth taken out. When I went for his yearly checkup on his teeth earlier this year, the Vet said "they are fine and they don't need cleaning". I brush his teeth daily. I will look later in his mouth since and let you know. I have to wait till he calms down for me even to groom him when he's in play mode.

Quote:
Cut out all the treats.
He needs his vitamins, and then again he does agility and treats is something required for him to do his jumps and runs. Or when I leave, I give him a treat too.

Quote:
Are the kibbles small or large?
His kibbles are very small with the Purina Pro Plan he's on. When he was on Blue Buffalo, they were larger.

Quote:
How is his weight and body condition?
He's 8.5 lbs and body condition is good otherwise. He was like 7-7.5 lbs, but when I got him neutered he gained in his waist area.

Also, I gave in tonight and mixed some wet with his dry (the rest of the Pedigree pkg that I got from the dog show). I felt guility he didn't eat much this am (including his vitamins and 1/2 beggin strip). I know I am at fault. I feel guility if he doesn't eat much and guility when I give him some wet. I was trying to get him on a schedule to eat a bit of wet with his dry in the am, and dry at night. That didn't work last long, just a few days. Last night, he wouldn't eat the dry. I worry a lot over nothing, huh~?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,507,049 times
My poodle is a nightmare to get to eat too. We've tried Iams, Blue buffalo, Pro Pac (what the breeders gave her), Fromm (several blends), Innova (several blends), Artemis, Taste of the Wild, Royal Cainin, and Bil-Jac dry and Pruina, Wellness, Ceasar, and Pedigree wet. The only two we have had success with are Royal Cainin and Bil-Jac. The Bill-Jac worked best as it is more a pellet than a kibble and it absorbs water well and crumbles easily when they eat it. What we do I make roast chicken in the oven for both us and the dog. We then mix the chicken with Bil-Jac that is soaked in water and microwaved for ~15sec.

We had the vet turn her inside out with blood tests and xray and he found nothing. He even treated for for Giardia even though she tested negative.

For treats she loves string cheese and freeze dried Turkey hearts that we get at the high-end dog store.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,137,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I've always had a picky eater of a dog. A lot of people I've met who also have Yorkshire Terriers also tell me that theirs is picky also. My little guy has been thru numerous of brands. I know ya'll will say "if a dog is hungry enough he will eat". I've literally seen him sniff and walk away and not eat for more than a day. If he did, a kibble or two. I've mixed wet with his dry and after a while, he will pick out the wet. I've tried wet mixed with dry in the day and dry at night. At times he won't eat at night. Plus, he only will eat if he plays anyways. I've cut down so much on his treats, so he really just gets his chewy vitamins which seems to give him an appetite. Any suggestions are apprecitated. Also, what brands do ya'll feed your dogs~?
We feed raw (medallions and fresh) and occasionally a grain-free kibble and have absolutely no problems with our dogs eating. We do have one that's kind of fussy but if he chooses not to eat the food is taken up, refrigerated and given to him at the next meal.

Your Yorkie (and not all are fussy eaters) has trained you well. It's time for a little tough love. YOU decide what you want to feed him (for some ideas on better quality foods check out: Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble ) . Then put the food down for 20 minutes max. If he doesn't eat take it up until the next meal. then put the same food down again. Do NOT try and make up for what he didn't eat. And no snacks/treats between meals. He may go a day or two especially since you've been catering to him up till now. It won't hurt him for the relatively short time it will take for him to learn that he does not dictate what he will and won't eat. You do!. It won't be easy. Terriers can be very determined.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I have more than food issues with him, at times. I put the food down, but he wanted to go out. Now he won't come inside and everytime I open the door he backs away. He likes to play ball and then he will eat. I think he's trying to get me outside. I've got to get ready and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs