Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,632 times

Advertisements

I'm considering my first adoption. The agency involved is suggesting breeds based on my application and home visit. Still, I want as much information, anecdotes as possible. Could you all offer any breed suggestions based on my circumstances? If this is not sufficient information I'm happy to add more.

- Cooler climate, think Pacific NW
- Outdoor dog*, unchained, fenced back yard
- Fairly urban, walkable environment
- No children in household
- A typical weekday schedule:
Morning jog (1-2 hrs)
Dog alone 4-5 hours
Mid-day walk (1-2 hrs)
Dog alone 4-5 hours
Evening play time, walk and/or errands (1-3 hrs)
- Weekends likely include day hikes ~6 hrs, kayaking (he will have a vest). And/or playtime at local parks, hanging in the back yard.
- Experienced pet owner in that I had outdoor dogs as a kid. Inexperienced as I did not participate in training or grooming.

A few thoughts: I haven't decided whether the dog will sleep in the house/crate/kennel (aside from the obvious colder nights). That will depend on the breed and the dog's preference. I want him in the yard, able to run around during the day. If he hates being outside, despite his breeding (there are always exceptions and he might have been a house dog in his last home).....then he may have to be a house dog. The adoption agency is aware of my preference but the dog and I will ultimately have to do what works for him. We'll be in a wetter climate thus steer clear of steep/slippery/rocky climbs and aim for the gentler trails on weekend hikes. There will be lots of city walking. I'm not sure if I'll receive a puppy or adult dog but I expect to incorporate training and socialization into much of our time together. Uncertain what foundation we'll have to start. I'm open to obedience school, ongoing classes or groups where I can improve as alpha/owner and where the dog can remain stimulated.

Soooo....if you haven't abandoned this post already, what breeds would you suggest??

*Please don't hijack my thread and turn it into a debate on outdoor dogs. There are other threads for that debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Gonna play devil's advocate here. Some breeds of dogs prefer being outside. Livestock guardian breeds, for one - Great Pyrenees, Maremmas, and so forth. Huskies and Malamutes often prefer being outdoors in the winter as well - snow and cold temperatures are much more comfortable to them than indoors with the heater on. Those heavy double coats are designed/evolved to keep the dogs comfy in very cold weather.

Hunting dogs and sled dogs are often kept in outdoor kennels. Farm dogs are often outdoor-living dogs as well. ...

Some individual dogs prefer to be outside, for whatever reason. Like that Pointer that someone mentioned, who had a dog door to go in the garage but didn't use it. Heck, my own little ball of fluff (Sheltie/Shiba mix?) prefers to hang out in the yard while I'm inside. The door is open for her to come in if she wants, but she happily lays in the sun, plays with the cat, rolls in dead bugs, and watches the birds for hours.

...don't assume all dogs are happier indoors, or that they *need* to live inside. Dogs are animals, they are part of nature, and enjoy nature, and all the stuff that comes with it - getting dirty and muddy, rolling in smelly dead stuff, sniffing poo...LOL. That's why we call 'em dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
The dog I had growing up was a wonderful outdoor dog...she was a Malamute, and lived 14 years on our farm. She had indoor shelter access in case of inclement weather, but exclusively chose to sleep out in the elements, instead.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
We had an Elkhound mix, she actually preferred being outside, and was very vigilant about protecting the yard. She did have one issue, very food protective, which our other "husky" like dogs had as well. Not an issue for you as you have no children, but something to be aware of if kids are around. She loved going skiing, and would run along side me for miles. Good compact dog for boating too, not too big. She was a pretty independent dog, did not need to be around people as much as our last dog, Sam was a Basset mix, and needed people24-7. Elkie just preferred to protect the yard, and be on patrol. Totally different personalities.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
personally i dont belive in having an outdoor dog unless it is outdoors for a reason...and i mean a real reason not just 'i dont want the dog in the house' is there a reaosn you want an "OUTSIDE" dog?
i have no problem with a dog being outdoors if thats its preference, but remember dogs are pack animals and im just trying to determine if this is a case of you work outdoors, ar elooking fro a farm dog, or simply dont want a dog in the house during the day...most dogs can be ok is left alone during the day for up to 8 hours, but you will need to provide some kind of stimulation while your gon.

also you said you have a fenced yard, how tall is the fence, how secure is the fence and what is the fence made of...
i ask because northern breeds like the husy are well known for jumping 6ft fences and climbing chainlink...so there are a number of breeds that would work for all generalities but not work simply because of the type of fence...

you dont mention a size preference...
but...lets see...

- Cooler climate, think Pacific NW- despite this requirment stay away form the typical "northern" breeds, everyone i talk to who wants a cool climate outdoor dog wants a husy and then dont understand why the dog is constantly escaping, howling ect. they get desrtuctive when bored, howl alot and love to dig, they are also great jumpers and acomplished climbers...ive yet to meet a fence capable of keeping a husky in lol. in general id look for a long-medium haired breed. short coated dogs are not built to live outside 24/7 in general...

Outdoor dog*, unchained, fenced back yard- so we know we dont want any escape artists, id rule out most of the terrier family (diggers) and again husky. i would also avoid the sheperds too as they are a breed that does better being very close to their people (despite common use as guard dogs) remember these breeds were intended to work closley with their people

Fairly urban, walkable environment so no talkers...this probably removes all the northern breeds form the table, as well as some of the hound group (who tend to be frequent bayers)

No children in household

A typical weekday schedule:
Morning jog (1-2 hrs)
Dog alone 4-5 hours
Mid-day walk (1-2 hrs)
Dog alone 4-5 hours
Evening play time, walk and/or errands (1-3 hrs)
- Weekends likely include day hikes ~6 hrs, kayaking (he will have a vest). And/or playtime at local parks, hanging in the back yard.

sounds like your looking for an active and off leash reliable dog (remember no dog is reliable off leash without training) who can also "calm down" when nooens home to entertain it....

some breeds that come to mind:
any of the retreiver family, lab, golden, chessie, flat coat, they would love all that excersize and kyaking/swimming even more so! generally easy keepers, not USUALLY hard on fences, not known as loud or diggers...they do tend to be puppies untill about 2 yrs old though!

australian cattle dog or kelpi...hard workign dogs, that are very wash and wear, agile and active, but typically very loyal to their people

some of the larger spaniels might also work...

Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
I'd also add to Foxy's suggestions is to remember that ANY dog puppy or adult has to work up to "jogging". Puppies shouldn't be worked hard until they are fully grown and that will be breed dependent.

I was born and raised in the PNW, so I'd stick with a shorter haired coat, much easier to maintain...you WILL be giving your dog baths - can't avoid it if they will be out in the drizzle.

I would also voice my concerns about a "yard dog" because you are asking your dog to be a companion to be active with you but then remain outside while your inside...most dogs don't like that...they want to be with you.

I would not recommend an Aussie Cattle dog for a first time owner, they can be a real handful and there are many in rescue and I'd also include several other of the hearding breeds like BC's. No matter what breed you end up with, you will need to commit to lots of training to get the companion you want.

Another issue is you will need to crate train your dog, maybe just for feeding, but they really do need to learn about crates and it is the safest way to transport a dog in a car.

I'd also suggest finding a good obedience club in the area that has classes and go watch, maybe even talk with some of the trainers about the type of dog your looking for, many have connections to good rescue groups and breeders and you can get recomendations for Vets.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
I am a first time dog owner. I searched the adoption places, but those dogs seem sick to me. One threw up before it got out of the kennel and the other one pee'd everywhere when it came out of the kennel. Recently, our local news reported the conditons of the adoption/shelters for the dog and of how bad shape their in. Anyways, I have a Yorkshire Terrier and it works for me. He loves the outdoors as much as he does inside. We go to different park, dog events and he even gets along with my neighbor's Lab/Husky mix dog. You need to do what is best for your situation, but read up on dog breeds and visit numerous of adoptions/shelters before you make that "for life" decision".

Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Leonberger

Leonberger Information and Pictures, Leonbergers

Here's a cutie in the Pacific NW looking for a forever home
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19178504

And, as has already been mentioned, you cannot go wrong with many of the retreiving breeds.

In my experience, spaniels need/want to be with their people and there is seperation anxiety associated with some of the breeds; so I wouldn't suggest a spaniel as a strictly outside dog.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-12-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 10:19 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,632 times
Knew I'd get lots of good advice and experiences here...keep 'em comin'! Bookmarked this thread.

Let's see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
personally i dont belive in having an outdoor dog unless it is outdoors for a reason...and i mean a real reason not just 'i dont want the dog in the house' is there a reaosn you want an "OUTSIDE" dog?....
Fair question and the rescue org asked me this about 8 different ways. They were naturally suspicious of a novice dog owner wanting an outside dog. I gave candid responses, they found comfort in my answers and I'll leave it there. It's so subjective that if one inherently disagrees with the idea, I don't think any reason would seem quite logical or substantial enough.

Quote:
also you said you have a fenced yard, how tall is the fence, how secure is the fence and what is the fence made of...you dont mention a size preference...
6 ft cedar plank. Thanks for the heads up on escape artist breeds. Wondering whether I'll need an underground electric fence too, and if it's effective...
No size preference.

Quote:
sounds like your looking for an active and off leash reliable dog (remember no dog is reliable off leash without training) who can also "calm down" when nooens home to entertain it....
Money! You sussed it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'd also add to Foxy's suggestions is to remember that ANY dog puppy or adult has to work up to "jogging". Puppies shouldn't be worked hard until they are fully grown and that will be breed dependent....
I was born and raised in the PNW, so I'd stick with a shorter haired coat, much easier to maintain...you WILL be giving your dog baths - can't avoid it if they will be out in the drizzle. ...
Excellent points! Figured, I'd push him in a pet stroller (http://www.justpetstrollers.com/jeep_pet_stroller_rubicon.html - broken link)and reduce my run to about 45 min, then walk the dog 30-45 min as a "cool down"...or a warm up. Either way, that walk would become a run/walk; eventually he'd be running with me the full time. I'd look to the vet for development cues/stages. Very good tip on the short haired coats.

Certainly plan on crate training, though at this point I can confidently say I've no idea what that entails. It's on my list to research. Great idea to sit in on classes and use trainers as resources.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,646 times
I'm all for outside dogs I've been to a lot of homes, and it's very rare if I can't tell the homeowners have an inside dog from the time I walk in the door. I know people love there dogs, but what dogs walk through, lick, eat, etc that's just not something I want in my bedroom. So much for not turning this into an inside vs outside debate lol...

Anyhow, it sounds so generic, but you can't go wrong with a Golden or Lab (well, you can, but better chances at success IMO). Everyone has them, but there's a reason for that. Although 10 hours alone during the day is asking for trouble with any breed, but some more than others. I think a herding breed could become really destructive unless the exercise is so intense that they can rest when your gone.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,521 times
K9 Country- Dog Breed Selection Tool

Try this breed selector. It may give you a starting point at least. While it's not perfect (nothing is) and only has AKC breeds, it will give you a reasonable idea of what breeds or mixes might work for you. That is it will as long as you answer all the questions honestly to the best of your ability. There are no wrong answers.

And, remember, it's just a starting point. It's also good to attend a few dog shows in your area and speak to people who own/breed breeds that you think might fit your lifestyle.

Congratulations on taking the time to do this right. And, btw, I would not recommend a Chessie (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) to a first time owner in most cases (I noticed that someone mentioned the breed as a possible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs