Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,882,517 times

Advertisements

i defiantly think the retreiver groups would be a good place to start...

personally i wouldnt do a leon or any livestock guardian breed (or LGD) they tend to be more indpeendant and typically cant be trusted not to wander when off leash. they are wonderfull for the right home, and typically ok with being left alone...but all lgd's are well known for being gypsies, rememebr they were origioanlly bred to protect livestock on HUNDEREDS of acres...

and i agre that i wouldnt NORMALLY cuggest cattle dogs, kelpis or chessies to a novice dog owner, BUT i have also met many who WOULD work in this situation if the owner is willing to socialize, train and attend obedience classes with them.

i belive any breed can be a good first time dog IF the owner reserches the breed and is willing to put in the proper amount of time and training.
some of the "easiest" dogs in my life were breeds that most would say first timers shouldnt get...a bull terrier, an intact male great dane (who was also deaf) ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 AM

7,388 posts, read 12,699,821 times
Individual dogs can be so different, of course. Our First Dog, a GSD/lab mix, would not leave us out of sight. The best friend and protector you could ever wish for--eye communication all the time, anticipating our next moves. Leaving her outside for hours on end would have been the utmost punishment for her--banishment from the hearth and her pack. Present Dog is a purebred GSD rescue who never had a kind word (probably not even a word) spoken to her until she was rescued. An outside dog who didn't even have a name. So you'd think she'd now love to be inside with us who adore her? Nope, she prefers to be outside in the hole she has dug for herself. We have to entice her to come in at night (SoCal temps--she could be outside all the time, but we absolutely don't want that--besides, she's a barker). As far as I can tell it is to a great extent a matter of "nurture," not "nature," in our two cases--First Dog grew up as a puppy in the house, surrounded by her people, and Present Dog got used to thinking that being outside and having a dirt bed was normal. But given her breed, I would think that is a warping of her natural instinct to be with the pack. So you may get lucky and find a dog who loves the independent life--but be prepared that it may go against the dog's nature.

And right now this independent dog of mine is sleeping happily at my feet by the computer. So she doesn't want to be outside all the time!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:25 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,419,492 times
I'll control myself and not comment on the "inside/outside" debate. I would discourage any sort of retriever if you are leaving it alone and outside. They in general hate being alone and will find all sorts of unacceptable ways to show that side to you. I'd suggest a good old fashioned mutt. When you start to get breed specific, you start to limit yourself.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 04-13-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 PM

972 posts, read 2,446,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'll control myself and not comment on the "inside/outside" debate. I would discourage any sort of retriever if you are leaving it alone and outside. They in general hate being alone and will find all sorts of unacceptable ways to show that side to you. I'd suggest a good old fashioned mutt. When you start to get breed specific, you start to limit yourself. I also hope that you change your mind and do allow whatever dog you get to come into the house (at least the utility room) on cold/wet nights.
Did I miss something? It sounds like if the weather is bad or if the dog prefers, he will be sleeping inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post

A few thoughts: I haven't decided whether the dog will sleep in the house/crate/kennel (aside from the obvious colder nights). That will depend on the breed and the dog's preference. I want him in the yard, able to run around during the day. If he hates being outside, despite his breeding (there are always exceptions and he might have been a house dog in his last home).....then he may have to be a house dog. The adoption agency is aware of my preference but the dog and I will ultimately have to do what works for him.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:53 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
...A few thoughts: I haven't decided whether the dog will sleep in the house/crate/kennel (aside from the obvious colder nights).... If he hates being outside, despite his breeding (there are always exceptions and he might have been a house dog in his last home).....then he may have to be a house dog. The adoption agency is aware of my preference but the dog and I will ultimately have to do what works for him. ..
Quote:
I also hope that you change your mind and do allow whatever dog you get to come into the house (at least the utility room) on cold/wet nights.
Not sure you even bothered to read my post, and if you did you selectively ignored it. Thanks for the tip on the retriever.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Be careful. There are a few breeds that DO NOT like to be left outside alone.
Consider two dogs if you have to do this 'outside' dog b.s.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

972 posts, read 2,446,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Be careful. There are a few breeds that DO NOT like to be left outside alone.
Consider two dogs if you have to do this 'outside' dog b.s.
What part is BS - leaving the dog outside while he is at work? My dog would LOVE that verses being locked in a room, but we can't trust her to not bark or escape.

- Taking the dog on several outings everyday? Again, my dog would be THRILLED with the activite life he described.

- The weather and sleeping preference being considered when determining where the dog sleeps? We've had a dog who prefered to sleep outside (a lab/retriever mix) and we've had a velcro dog (pit rescue) who had to be touching me to sleep. (Our current dog prefers to sleep in her crate with the door open, but only after she kicks the cats out of it, but that's an unrelated issue.)

I am not seeing the problem considering that the agency on the spot is comfortable with the situation. Not all outdoor dogs are ignored or left caged and tied up.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,241,489 times
Quote:
I'll control myself and not comment on the "inside/outside" debate. I would discourage any sort of retriever if you are leaving it alone and outside. They in general hate being alone and will find all sorts of unacceptable ways to show that side to you. I'd suggest a good old fashioned mutt. When you start to get breed specific, you start to limit yourself.
You can hurt yourself with a mutt also. It sounds like the OP wants a active dog, what if the mix is bought as a puppy and turns out not to have any active breed in it?

You can guess what a breed is, but a lot of these rescues and especially county pounds have terrible guesses when it comes to breed. They called my dog a St. Bernard and he ended up being 50 lbs lol.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,419,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
You can hurt yourself with a mutt also. It sounds like the OP wants a active dog, what if the mix is bought as a puppy and turns out not to have any active breed in it?

You can guess what a breed is, but a lot of these rescues and especially county pounds have terrible guesses when it comes to breed. They called my dog a St. Bernard and he ended up being 50 lbs lol.
Thats one reason to adopt an adult dog. All the traits are apparent by then.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM

426 posts, read 1,572,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I would not recommend an Aussie Cattle dog for a first time owner, they can be a real handful
Agreed, they are great dogs (my parents own one) but they are crazy smart, and hardheaded. If an ACD wants to escape, it will find a way out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'd also suggest finding a good obedience club in the area that has classes and go watch, maybe even talk with some of the trainers about the type of dog your looking for, many have connections to good rescue groups and breeders and you can get recomendations for Vets.
I think this is excellent advice! I just joined my local OB club, finally...after training by myself for a while I'm looking forward to meeting other trainers, exchanging ideas, etc. I've heard it can be a great support group, having other owners to talk with, not just an instructor.

I also agree with Foxy's recommendation of Labs as a good breed. A pointer or setter, maybe as well? I don't have any experience with them other than I know they're very outdoorsy, active hunting type dogs. I imagine they would make great hiking companions.

Golden retrievers can be a bit needy, so I've heard. They're very people-oriented. Labs somewhat less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs