Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,211,611 times

Advertisements

I stayed with a wealthy family In VietNam while finishing up my paper work for adoption. They had three outdoor dogs. One was chained up in the corner of the property and never let out. It was purely guard dog and I felt so sorry for it.

The other two were free to roam outside but never petted or paid any attention. I started playing tug of war with an old rag and throwing a ball. The family thought I was nuts and couldn't believe I was touching the dogs. the dogs loved it. They were covered with fleas and ticks and when I told them there was medicine you could give which would keep these pests off the dogs, they wondered "Why would you even bother".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,244,023 times
Maybe us here in America are the weird ones lol. After all, do you have any idea what your dog puts in his mouth during any given day?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
There's some data to suggest that men and dogs co-evolved...and that they helped domesticate us as much as we did them. To treat them like anything other than good, old friends seems wrong to me.

As for dirty, I guarantee you that most human beings are dirtier than most indoor dogs. Just from our exposure to the outside world.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,066,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There's some data to suggest that men and dogs co-evolved...and that they helped domesticate us as much as we did them. To treat them like anything other than good, old friends seems wrong to me.

As for dirty, I guarantee you that most human beings are dirtier than most indoor dogs. Just from our exposure to the outside world.

agreed on both counts.....

Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,244,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Your right, because humans have been known to eat out of the kitty litter box just like dogs

Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,427,703 times
My kids would "dare" each other to kiss the dog on his lips. I figured it would just build up their immunity systems faster. And that poor dog, was kissed so much on the lips...4 kids, always kissing him. I think they kissed the dog more than me.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,016,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My dad doesn't believe that animals should ever live in a house, either, and he's about as American as one can get without being a member of an indigenous tribe.
That's the way my sister and b-in-law are. They have dogs, but they're strictly outside dogs. That's why I've made arrangements with an old friend out of state if something happens to me while miss large and in charge is still in the picture (as well as any dog that follows her reign). I will NOT have her banished to a concrete dog run. She's accustomed to a couch and a couch it shall be.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,211,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My kids would "dare" each other to kiss the dog on his lips. I figured it would just build up their immunity systems faster. .
Actually there are studies which show children raised from the earliest age with household pets have fewer allergies and of course fewer animal anxieties.
That works for me and mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs