Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,741,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes, there are worse things than euthanization. And you just assumed that they would happen to your dog and then "humanaly euthanized" him without giving him a chance to work out with someone else. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you--rather than the dog--were the problem? That he could have been happier somewhere else? Heaven forbid, right? Because that would mean that something was wrong with you rather than the dog

So immature and full of false assumptions. Please read that my dog had a history of biting and 3 homes prior to mine. I am insulted by your insensitivity and failure to trust that other people besides you are competent to assess situations. This response is a self-involved, holier than thou position that belongs in elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 59,276 times
To give you all an update, my husband is looking into behaviourists today. I still feel strongly that if this is going to work she needs to also be put on anti-anxiety medication. To be completely and totally honest, investing this kind of money at this point in time, is something I find very stressful. There are other things we should really be spending money on, and bloodwork, medication, training, etc. does not come cheap. I know because I've done it all already (though the medication was for a geriatric cat). When we adopted Bowie we did sign on to care for her for the rest of her life and I do take that commitment seriously. That said, she is 8 years old and we've had her in our home for the past 7 years, and I feel like we're limited as to what else we can do that will produce the kind of results that we will need in order to feel safe with her in our home moving forward.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM

9,347 posts, read 20,083,236 times
spending that kind of money IS stressful... particularly with the other expenses coming into your life.... but it is also a good idea for both of you to feel like you have exhausted every option, if it comes to that final difficult decision.....

you are in a tough spot and i wish the best for all of you......

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,683,436 times
At the end of the day humans come before dogs IMO.

You said that she had never bitten anyone for the entire 7 years you had her until now. So whos to say the training will appeared to have worked and then your one year child is on the floor playing and the dog gets ahold of it. Not saying it will happen but do you want to be one of those people that said "I knew I should have gotten rid of the dog" when its too late? Im doing alot with my Queenie to prepare her for our bundle of joys arrival but if she so much as growled at me I wouldnt want her near my helpless baby who is dependent on me for survival. I think one way or another you need to get the dog out of the house and sooner than later.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,141,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
spending that kind of money IS stressful... particularly with the other expenses coming into your life.... but it is also a good idea for both of you to feel like you have exhausted every option, if it comes to that final difficult decision.....

you are in a tough spot and i wish the best for all of you......
^^ What she said.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,284,917 times
wish more pet owners were as committed as you and hubby. You are to be commended. Good luck

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,381,966 times
I really do hope that the OP can find a resolution to her issue. I can't imagine the type of stress she and her hubby are going through. they've already done more than some dog owners in their position would have done.

I don't get all the harsh responses here. the truth of the matter is, this is a dog that has shown herself to be aggressive. The OP doesn't have all the time in the world to carefully screen potential adopters to make sure someone who can handle an aggressive dog takes her. I've seen rescues post the same dogs on CL since last summer/fall. if can take months to rehome a non-aggressive dogs. how long would it take to rehome an aggressive dog? as mentioned several times before, most rescues won't take in aggressive dogs due to the issues in rehoming them. the dog seems to be getting more aggressive as the pregnancy continues and I personally wouldn't want it in my house once the baby was born, even if it was on medication. I couldn't live with this type of aggression, esp. w/ a child involved.

and say the OP finds someone to adopt the dog but that person can't handle her, then what? I've adopted out some animals (mostly pet rats, but some stray kittens and a stray dog I've found) and I've ALWAYS made it a criteria that the animal be returned to me if any issues pops up. of course, I have no feasible way of demanding this of adopters, but I make it well known that any critter I adopt out come back to me instead of ending up at a shelter or in the hands of some questionable person. realistically, the OP wouldn't be able to do this. the next person to end up w/ this dog may not be as forgiving and patience as the OP. dogs like the OP's dog, in the wrong hands, get physically punished and neglected to the point where biting becomes inevitable. sadly, not all dogs can be fixed. If I personally couldn't assure that an adopter would care for the dog and keep it despite the aggression, I would put it to sleep. the risks for both dog and human are too high otherwise.

Last edited by eevee; 04-26-2011 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: reword

Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM

99 posts, read 532,120 times
OP, please keep in mind that there are causes of aggression that are uncurable. Not everything is behavioral. Some things are physical... tumors.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,961,792 times
I have not read all the posts...but just FYI:

when my neighbor's dog, a bouncy springer spaniel, attacked owner's child in the neck area, they immediately put had her down, even tho she had never before shown such behavior...

a few inches more would have been an artery with possible death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennysnooze View Post
We adopted our dog 7 years ago. She was 11 months old at the time, and was fear aggressive, poorly socialized, and most likely abused. We've worked with her over the years, have taken her to trainers who deal with fear aggression, and she has gotten better, but is still a bit of a wild card. She is anxious around anyone by my husband and myself -- even when with people she knows and is excited to see, she still never quite relaxes. That said, she has never bitten anyone before, though she has snapped at the air when frightened.

Over the weekend my brother was visiting from out of town. We were all sitting outside and our neighbours were out in their yards as well. I was sitting next to the dog with my hand loosely holding her collar, when out of the blue she attacked me. There was no warning, and she needed to be pulled off me. She snapped at my hands and forearms and I have a nasty bruise and a scraped up finger.

We immediately isolated her, leaving her in the garage for 7 or 8 hours. Since bringing her back into the house she is told to spend most of the time lying on her dog bed.

I'm pregnant and due with our first child in September. I honestly feel like dog trainers have told us how to modify our behaviour but have done nothing to actually "solve" the problems with the dog. My husband wants to find a new trainer to work with, but I am doubtful I will ever trust our dog again, certainly not around the baby when it's born.

What would you do? Does anyone think training could work, or do we need to look to rehouse or euthanize her? I have cried for hours over this and am not taking our any decisions lightly. I love our dog. I don't know that I'll ever be able to trust her again.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,774,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
To me an animal is a life-long commitment. Knowing that the dog had issues and trying to work with the dog is one thing....but sooooo often I hear of co-workers who get rid of their pets because they are now pregnant (or the wife is pregnant) and don't want the animal around the baby. I can understand this....but...you knew this before you got pregnant. It wasn't the dog's fault you got pregnant. Now - ask yourself if you'd still be putting down the dog if you weren't pregnant...probably not....
I can't agree with this. I don't think there are many people who aspire to be parents who would willingly give that up because, by the luck of the draw, they adopted a dog that turned out to have aggression issues and is unresponsive to training attempts and/or untrustworthy. I just don't see it as being reasonable to say, "Well, we wanted to have a baby, but then we adopted this aggressive dog, so now, in fairness to the dog, we don't feel right about bringing a baby into the situation. We'll just forgo being parents, because it wouldn't be right to find another home for the dog."

I feel strongly that people who get rid of pets when they start families because of convenience factors are people who didn't think it through...but an animal that poses a potential danger to your children or yourself is a lot different than one you just don't feel like you'll have time to walk or play with anymore.

People adopt with their hearts in the right place, for the most part. But that doesn't mean that all dogs that are adopted out are safe pet material, or safe pet material in a household with children. And you don't always know that going in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs