Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykay123 View Post
I feed my 1 year old dog frozen grapes and carrots all the time he loves them and there is no affect, no vomit, no diarrhea, or any thing. He is perfectally healthy the vet says so I think the whole grapes thig is only certain dogs.
I'd just be careful. My 45 lbs dog ate a tiny snack size box of raisins and she went into kidney failure. She survived, but barely and did manage to live on for a full long life on a "kidney diet". I just wouldn't risk it...even if it is some dogs. Who knows what a few grapes is really doing? It took the equivalence of maybe 25 grapes to put her into kidney failure. Maybe a few doesn't do that but could secretly be damaging the kidneys?

I don't even buy raisins anymore...not worth the risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I'd just be careful. My 45 lbs dog ate a tiny snack size box of raisins and she went into kidney failure. She survived, but barely and did manage to live on for a full long life on a "kidney diet". I just wouldn't risk it...even if it is some dogs. Who knows what a few grapes is really doing? It took the equivalence of maybe 25 grapes to put her into kidney failure. Maybe a few doesn't do that but could secretly be damaging the kidneys?

I don't even buy raisins anymore...not worth the risk.
IMHO and from all I've read, raisins are more toxic than grapes. Maybe because they're dried?

I agree with you...who knows what a few grapes are really doing? A full panel blood work will tell the story.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,052 times
Default Frozen grapes

I fed my dog for nearly 15 years, frozen grapes! I didn’t know that grapes were toxic to dogs! In response to this entry, “ feeding 4-5 month old puppy frozen grapes, and nothing happen to the puppy! My question is “could freezing grapes change the grapes makeup so it’s not toxic! As stated I fed my dog frozen seedless grapes near 15 years, and my dog lived a long healthy life (fed her frozen grapes nearly year round)! Thanks Chuck

Old 12-16-2020, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,052 times
Sorry, reread that puppy went into kidney failure! But as stated 15 years feeding frozen grapes, without consequences ! Chuck

Old 12-16-2020, 08:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
I believe veterinarians are learning that some grapes are more toxic than others. Fruit is now imported from all over the world, introducing new varieties cultivated under different growing conditions. Also, some dogs may be more vulnerable to grape toxicity than others.

We fed grapes to our dogs growing up with no negative effects, but I sure wouldn't do it now, not worth the risk!

Old 12-17-2020, 04:41 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Well, as others have said, sensitivity probably varies as do the grapes. You are faced with finding out your particular dog happens to be unlucky the hard way...when it gets seriously sick or dies. The dog can't tell you and doesn't care. S(he)'ll eat the grapes. So, vets are left with the choice to say nothing and hope for the best, or warn all their dog owners across the board in order to CYA. Think I know what'd I'd choose.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-17-2020 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-18-2020, 03:15 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Some varieties of grapes are more toxic to dogs than others, and some dogs are more sensitive to grapes than others. Raisins are more dangerous than grapes because, being dried, the grape is concentrated...it's easier to consume more, more quickly, and not diluted.

IMO it's not worth risking it in general, letting dogs have grapes or raisins, as even if you don't witness a reaction it could be doing cumulative kidney damage.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:59 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
Why would you feed your dog something that is known to cause problems? It's not like the dog really needs grapes.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Our Lab-Pit mix who died at 22 last year had an iron stomach. She could eat chocolate, raisins, ANYTHING.
Our current blue nose pit;is more delicate and I'm careful what I feed her. Each dog is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs