Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:39 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,132,121 times

Advertisements

Hopes...you were definitely doing something right! To have your puppers live up to 16 years is a great accomplishment to the love of a great family and wonderful care bestowed upon him.
Sending warm thoughts to you during this tough time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,591,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's so sweet. Thank you. Your post reminds me of a book I'm reading called "The Art of Racing in the Rain." A family dog is the narrator and he believes he will come back as a person when he dies. But the story isn't just about the old dog dying. The dog is telling the story of the life of his family. But this concept of the body just being a vessel is throughout the book. The first three pages, you think OMG I can't read this, because it starts out with him as an old dog sort of in the situation my dog is in now, but then it goes back in time and he tells the story of his family from the start of his joining the family. It's a great book. It's very moving but funny too---hearing the a dogs thoughts and perspective on everyday events in people's lives. I highly recommend it.
Sounds like a great book!
I am a person who believes anything is possible...the fact that you're reading this book at this particular time seems like a sign...maybe the cosmos are trying to tell you that this separation is only temporary, and that he will come back into your life in a different form?

It might sound crazy, but if we think about all the crazy things that happen every minute of every day in this world, it starts to sound a little bit saner...!

I am sending prayers that he will be in good condition and spirits for the rest of the weekend, and that you will all have happy moments fresh in your collective consciousness when the moment arrives to set him free.

Peace, light, and healing energy from me and my furangels to you and yours...(((HUGS)))

Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
I loved that book too Hope. I'm so sorry to hear about your old friend and the decisions that must be made.

I hope you have a lovely last day with him and try not to think about tomorrow too much; enjoy that last day as much as you can. That is one regret that I have with Casper. I was too much focused on handling 'the day' to really do some special things (that he could still do) on his last day.

I agree with you that each loss brings back past losses. I thought that having my Casper PTS would be easier since I had recently witnessed the death of my Mother. But, it wasn't any easier at all. But you will know you can handle it since you have walked this road before.

Peace be with you, your family, and your beloved friend ~ today, tomorrow, and in the days ahead.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
I'm so sorry about this. Our beloved family malamute had to be put to sleep at age 15, and I, the oldest child, was 20 years old and 500 miles away at college. My parents were heartbroken that it happened while I was gone, and it was tough, but I know that my siblings were all with her and held her, and the farm vet came out to our house, and did it there. They buried her in a grove of trees on our property, and when I got home from school a couple of months later, I planted wildflowers there. I think your burial plans sound wonderful and special.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Hopes, I just read through this thread and I have tears rolling down my face right now. I know all to well what you are going through and how hard it is to face Monday. When our big chocolate boy Bandit was failing I gave it everything I could to keep him comfortable. Daily massages to help his arthritic joints, wiping his bum for him since he couldn't clean it himself. Encourgaging him to take a walk with me around the front yard so he would still feel included in that nightly ritual. One he had known for 9 years. At the end, when he was just to wobbly to walk very far, I would just carry him out to the middle of the yard so he could lay in the grass and smell the wind, an activity that he loved best of all. Even after all of this time, I'd still give a year of my life to have just one more day with that very dear boy! My heart and very deepest condolences go out to you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Hopes. Have you thought about taking your dog with you to the camp and having him pts there by a local vet right on your property? That way he could be outside, on familiar territory and you would not have to transport him those godawful 2 hours.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,949,554 times
I am so sorry that you are going through this, Hopes. I think in some ways preparing for things the way you are makes the process when he does run to the Rainbow Bridge a bit more peaceful. It sounds like he has a special place where you can all go remember all the good times with him. Sending you hugs and keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. He is definitely a very lucky pup to have such a wonderful family that without a doubt loves him so much.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,613,101 times
Hopes, I'm so very sorry.

When I put my shih tzu down, I mentioned to my vet that I thought that must be the worst part of her job - and she said it's really not, that when it's really the dog's time to go, it's like giving them a gift. It took me a while to understand that, as the loss to me was so devastating. Hope you can find some comfort in that.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Thanks, everyone. Sorry I haven't been back sooner to let you know the plans have been postponed.

He rebounded, like a little miracle. He's walking, running, climbing stairs like he wasn't ever sick.

Last night, he appeared in my bedroom doorway---on the second floor! He hasn't come upstairs in a year!

At least we have the plans in place for when the time comes, because it will come sooner than later since he's 16 years old.

I don't want to say "sorry for the false alarm" because we're not sorry at all! We feel blessed to have him with us a little bit longer!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,591,725 times
I've been checking back here every time I'm on CD, and I am SO HAPPY to hear he's doing better...and he even climbed stairs! Amazing! Just knowing he's still here and feeling good has made my day...happy dance time!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs