Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thank you Dawn. Can't rep you but can say Thanks.
No reps necessary. I felt your pain and I know that you felt relief. I did, too. It's hard to watch someone do something that you don't agree with. Honestly, I would have been fit to be tied had I had to watch what you saw happening.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
A relative is sitting and watching her 12 year old dog die. She is posting "last pictures" and latest signs on Facebook. Things like labored breathing, leaking heart, wait and see, on her way out, etc.

It's not like they don't have the money to put the dog to sleep. They have taken her to the vet several times, tried lots of meds, etc. But she seems hell bent on this dog dieing in her arms. For the life of me I don't understand. And I know it is Sunday but this has been going on for weeks. And she says "she's on her way out" and other indications she knows the dog is near death.

Why wouldn't any devoted pet lover take advantage of the possibility to end their pet's suffering.
the only dog in my family that has actually been put to sleep was my mothers. she wasnt able to hold her urine and my mom was giving her fluids with in IV bag daily. i know my mom feels guilty about it. i feel like the dog wasnt in good shape and her days were limited, but she probably liked being alive better than dying. she still enjoyed being held and pet and loved and seeing us and my mother. i dont really know how much pain she was in, my mom probably had a better idea of that. so i have doubts about it being the right decision and im sure my mom does also. i know it wasnt easy and im not going to judge someone in that position.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
It is beyond my understanding why someone would expose extremely personal situations of any kind to complete strangers on a website.
Extremely personal in terms of writing about your dying dog?
Strangers? On Facebook? It can be that way, but certainly not necessarily.
If you have a Facebook page, you only have the friends you want, and you are able to tweak your privacy settings as you wish.
When our Elwood was diagnosed almost two years ago, I posted a few times about his progress (he had a little less than three weeks left). When he died at home, I posted my favorite picture of him.
I heard back from friends, it was comforting.

I posted here, as well.

Quote:
And as many others said, if this is unacceptable to humans, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why in the world it is acceptable to pets.
I just feel most people for some reason tend to offer sympathy to the ones who decide to put dogs down as opposed to those who decide to stay with them until they pass. And that, is something I don't understand at all.
Yes, perhaps this is true.
I dunno, I've been on both sides of it.
I had a couple of neighbors who probably should have put their dog to sleep a good 8-12 months before he died. He was feeble, wheezing, unable to walk, and incontinent, really didn't know where he was anymore--and they went off on a trip leaving me to care for the poor old guy. Guess who found him dead one morning?
But I do understand how they felt; years later I had a 20 year old cat in almost the same shape, parting with her was unimaginable.
Everyone does the best they can I s'pose.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't any devoted pet lover take advantage of the possibility to end their pet's suffering.
You honest truth is the person is selfish. People create all sorts of fell good human reasons but forget the greatest part of humanity, what doe the suffering party want?

There are great debates over human euthinazia and assisted suicide. 50 years ago it may have been unthinakble, but as more people face the reality, assisted suicide and human euthinazia for terminally ill or suffering perople has become more and more accepted. It wasn't accepted more because people thought it was a good thing, it became more accepted because those suffering started to speak up about their suffering and started saying what you think doesn't matter because you are not suffering as they are. the suffering party is the one who should be making the decission.

But our pets can't tell us what they want. They can't tell us about the pain they are in. They can't tell us that they are unhappy and misserable. They can't tell us that the time has come to let them depart this earth. They can't tell us their wishes so we substitute what an animal wants for what we want, and humanss are the most selfish breed on this planet. Even if they can see into the soul of the animal through its eyes, and its telling them to end its suffering, many will not want that to be the answer. This is when all the excuses and human emotions over-rules the animals natural desires. They no longer care about the animal or any suffering the animal may be in, they are only selfishly caring about themself and what they want.

We have been given a gift of humanity to be able to make these tough decissions. We have the ability not to act as god but to share gods compassion for the suffering. Animals in the wild engage in suicide all the time when suffreing. They detach from the pack, they go where they can huddle up, they refuse to eat or drink, they allow themselves to peacefully and quiclkly pass away to end their pain. We as humans have attached our human emotions to prolong their live and more often we prolong their suffering. We are no longer being compasionate when we delay the prudent and humane solution.

But to make excuses or come up with human analogies to justify our personal emotional behavior or choice is to ignore the animal we claim to be concerned about. Sometimes I think the animals have more humanity than we humans have.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You honest truth is the person is selfish. People create all sorts of fell good human reasons but forget the greatest part of humanity, what doe the suffering party want?

There are great debates over human euthinazia and assisted suicide. 50 years ago it may have been unthinakble, but as more people face the reality, assisted suicide and human euthinazia for terminally ill or suffering perople has become more and more accepted. It wasn't accepted more because people thought it was a good thing, it became more accepted because those suffering started to speak up about their suffering and started saying what you think doesn't matter because you are not suffering as they are. the suffering party is the one who should be making the decission.

But our pets can't tell us what they want. They can't tell us about the pain they are in. They can't tell us that they are unhappy and misserable. They can't tell us that the time has come to let them depart this earth. They can't tell us their wishes so we substitute what an animal wants for what we want, and humanss are the most selfish breed on this planet. Even if they can see into the soul of the animal through its eyes, and its telling them to end its suffering, many will not want that to be the answer. This is when all the excuses and human emotions over-rules the animals natural desires. They no longer care about the animal or any suffering the animal may be in, they are only selfishly caring about themself and what they want.

We have been given a gift of humanity to be able to make these tough decissions. We have the ability not to act as god but to share gods compassion for the suffering. Animals in the wild engage in suicide all the time when suffreing. They detach from the pack, they go where they can huddle up, they refuse to eat or drink, they allow themselves to peacefully and quiclkly pass away to end their pain. We as humans have attached our human emotions to prolong their live and more often we prolong their suffering. We are no longer being compasionate when we delay the prudent and humane solution.

But to make excuses or come up with human analogies to justify our personal emotional behavior or choice is to ignore the animal we claim to be concerned about. Sometimes I think the animals have more humanity than we humans have.
Very, very well said

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,240,359 times
Okay, so I am typing thru tears...First of all, I think more of my Scottish-Terrier, Johnny Cash, than I do some people. He is 4. However, If the time and day comes that he can no longer function and do the things he loves or is in pain from any of this, then all options must be considered.

I even have "carecredit" for him and leave it with sitters when I'm away. My heart goes out to each of you dealing with this. I don't even allow him to be called a "dog" my sons, call him "Bubba"..afterall every family, I'm told, has to have a bubba.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Okay, so I am typing thru tears...First of all, I think more of my Scottish-Terrier, Johnny Cash, than I do some people. He is 4. However, If the time and day comes that he can no longer function and do the things he loves or is in pain from any of this, then all options must be considered.

I even have "carecredit" for him and leave it with sitters when I'm away. My heart goes out to each of you dealing with this. I don't even allow him to be called a "dog" my sons, call him "Bubba"..afterall every family, I'm told, has to have a bubba.

You must be from the South. We all have a Bubba in the family. Hopefully you don't have to face this any time soon but good to know you have the courage and strength to relieve the suffering usually part of a terminal illness.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
closed for mod review

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs