Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM

525 posts, read 1,557,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Sounds like abuse to me. Doing something that hurts the animal to the point it cries / yelps? Abuse. And the dog may not bite now, but eventually it probably will. And when it does if it's enough to require stitches - or worse - the dog will be seized, labeled aggressive and probably be euthanized because this jack*** is abusing it.

I agree. If this moron is your boyfriend you need to leave and take the dog. Find a rescue that will take it in or something so it can be safe. And get yourself therapy if this guy is your BF because you obviously have very poor taste in men and need to find out why.
He's not my boyfriend, just a friend. By the way, he's not talking to me right now anyways. I don't care if he never contacts me again. He was being a jerk lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,944,221 times
How horrible. Hurting a dog is never ok.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,454,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
He's not my boyfriend, just a friend. By the way, he's not talking to me right now anyways. I don't care if he never contacts me again. He was being a jerk lately.
Oh good!!!

Hey, he's not talking to you? Bonus for you!! Yay!!!! Guy sounds like a creep. I'd report him to your local animal group to look into, just in case. If you have one in your area that cares. Some areas of the country, sadly, don't.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,237,793 times
Quote:
What's your take on this? me and a friend were sitting on the couch. He has a small dog. He kept gently biting the dog's ears and tugging them. The dog kept yelping as he was doing it.
I'd confront him about it but knowing him he'd just brush it off as "playing" He tells me that the dog won't bite him back
Quote:
It most definitely is abuse. I personally could not sit by and listen to an innocent dog yelp out in pain. Sure, this jerk says the dogs won't bite him back. The problem is, if this dog does, a creep like this will probably slamdunk it against the wall.

It's a shame you didn't speak up and that you're now not talking to him. You should have contacted animal control. Heaven knows what that dog might be going through.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
I mean, I torture my dogs by dressing them up or making weird faces at them and barking at them, but I would never do something to them that would actually cause pain.

Pain = abuse...the dog doesn't understand it's playing.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-15-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 12:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,818,177 times
Quote:
What's your take on this? me and a friend were sitting on the couch. He has a small dog. He kept gently biting the dog's ears and tugging them. The dog kept yelping as he was doing it.
I'd confront him about it but knowing him he'd just brush it off as "playing" He tells me that the dog won't bite him back
That's unusual. Really weird, actually.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,707,845 times
Quote:

Tell your "friend" in no uncertain terms that he will stop biting your dog or he will not longer be welcome in your home or near your dog.

This type of behavior is cruel plain and simple.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:47 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,324,148 times
I was watching this TV show once about a guy who raises wolves. Lives somewhere in England, I think. (Here, I found a link: A Man Among Wolves | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/a-man-among-wolves-2926 - broken link)) He wants to be perceived by his wolves as being part of the pack structure.

There was a scene in which he was sitting in the den with a couple of the cubs and they were being very bitey, as baby puppies tend to do as they try to figure out how rough they can play with their fellows. So this guy held one of the bitey puppies up in his arms and bit down gently and slowly on the tip of the cub's ear until it let out a little squeal. Then the guy instantly released and soothed the animal. The guy explained that he was doing it for bite inhibition purposes...and what this guy was doing seemed very similar to what my dog's mom did with him and his littermates to teach them not to bite. (She tolerated it up to a point, and if they crossed that line, they got a sharp, correcting nip of their own by mama!)

Now...in a situation like the above, the ear-biting thing doesn't really bother me or strike me as being bad. (In fact, I've been on message boards in which the [human] moms have said that when their [human] kids have gone through a biting phase, the moms have bitten back, which generally teaches the kids in a hurry that biting is not okay!)

But if this is an older dog who already knows bite inhibition, and the owner is just messing with the dog by biting and pulling on the ears...well, that doesn't seem okay. It just seems mean and jerky and I really couldn't be friends with a guy who acted like that with his dog. (Reminds me a bit of growing up with an older brother who was constantly punching me or frogging me for no good reason other than he felt like it and I was there. Speaking of mean and jerky....)

If you KNOW that something you do bugs your dog and causes some degree of distress (physical or otherwise), then why do it? I don't get that kind of mentality.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 PM

21 posts, read 59,920 times
I agree that sounds kinda creepy.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,313,097 times
Your friend sounds like he hasn't got a clue....I pity the poor little dog...what a jerk!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs