Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,673,383 times

Advertisements

Atlanta (CNN) -- It began when Shelley Boyle's veterinarian recommended she stop feeding meat and dairy to her beloved mutt, Cleo, to determine whether a food allergy was to blame for the dog's chronic ear infection.

Boyle's interest was immediately piqued. She had been a vegan for nearly two years, after deciding to cut meat, eggs and dairy from her diet for health and ethical reasons.

Vegan diet for dogs: A question of thriving vs. surviving - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,457,496 times
I have nothing but admiration for a person who is a vegan. But to force a dog to be one is unnatural. This dog was suffering from food allergies, so I don't doubt his coat is better, etc, after 5 months on a vegan diet. But 5 months isn't long enough to determine true health effects. (AAFCO feeding tests are only 6 months, so they don't prove much either, but that's another thread.)

Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,822,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I have nothing but admiration for a person who is a vegan. But to force a dog to be one is unnatural. This dog was suffering from food allergies, so I don't doubt his coat is better, etc, after 5 months on a vegan diet. But 5 months isn't long enough to determine true health effects. (AAFCO feeding tests are only 6 months, so they don't prove much either, but that's another thread.)
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand why anyone would even attempt to do this.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,032 times
Default Forcing dogs into veganism

I could not agree more. I think it is a twisted sense of love for animals that drives someone to torture their own dogs with salad and grains. I too am vegan -- wouldn't change that part of myself for the world, but I could never live with myself knowing my dogs had been deprived of their natural diet. I know someone who gleefully declares that her dogs "love their salads," grazing on it throughout the day. She seems to really believe that they "love their food," yet it takes them all day to eat it, and of course they will eat it, there is nothing else to eat. In my household there is no such thing as dogs grazing. Cows graze. Dogs eat meat. High-quality organic meat based top shelf food. And their perfect poops, lean bodies and healthy level of energy confirm the validity.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:40 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,893,679 times
absolutly agree with all you guys....100%

Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,132,111 times
Agree 110% with all of you. It's one thing to eliminate things temporarily in order to determine allergies by adding them back in one at a time. But a vegan dog? Not only idiotic, it could actually be harmful over the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs