Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times

Advertisements

Looking for a 'concise' answer, if there is one.

My vet advises to limit--actually none--meat supplements to the food. A little chicken broth is OK.

The trainer suggests giving 'Good' treats such as turkey.

No matter when he eats the meat it has to be digested.

tia

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 08:36 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,975 times
If you use dry food, you can use the individual pieces as rewards during training. Some dogs think it is special just because it is from your hand.

Our trainer was a vegetarian, so she fed her dogs lots of veggies. This was her favorite training treat for her dogs.

We use treats that are made by the company that makes the dog food that we use. We break the treats up into tiny pieces. We alternate between the dry food pieces and treats during a class.

Ask your vet what he or she recommends for you to use during training. Is there a medical reason for the no additional meat rule? I don't think that people who train with meat usually use big enough pieces that they add up to a significant amount of meat consumed during a training session.

A foodless option is using the clicker, though I think people introduce it initially using food. We did.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
If you use dry food, you can use the individual pieces as rewards during training. Some dogs think it is special just because it is from your hand.

Our trainer was a vegetarian, so she fed her dogs lots of veggies. This was her favorite training treat for her dogs.

We use treats that are made by the company that makes the dog food that we use. We break the treats up into tiny pieces. We alternate between the dry food pieces and treats during a class.

Ask your vet what he or she recommends for you to use during training. Is there a medical reason for the no additional meat rule? I don't think that people who train with meat usually use big enough pieces that they add up to a significant amount of meat consumed during a training session.

A foodless option is using the clicker, though I think people introduce it initially using food. We did.
It is my decision. She suggested training. I attended a few classes.

The training seemed to be more geared toward larger dogs.

I did meet another participant who was very knowledgeable--concurred with what you said.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
We use a favorite toy at times with our hounds when training. Other times use cheese curds then I snack too.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
We use a favorite toy at times with our hounds when training. Other times use cheese curds then I snack too.
I have heard that dairy should be limited, too.

He responds well to praise and respectful communication.

I have read a number of theories--selecting the most appropriate food, method of training for my particular pet is a responsibility I take seriously.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
If responds to the praise all the better.My female is that way and will not take a treat good loving and praise can do wonders. I have tried dehydrated lamb lung and they not especially care for that. My stud likes the toy and/or treats. Each dog responds differently. I got a friend who uses a tennis ball as treat and only time gets it is training not for anything else and they associate the ball with good job and the praise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs