Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 02:42 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,885 times

Advertisements

Need suggestions for books and/or DVDs on *positive* dog training. Have been trying to use the "Idiots' Guide to Positive Dog Training". While I believe it has good points, I don't find it very well written or with easy to follow steps. And the clicker business doesn't make sense to me either. Why not just use treats and praise? The obedience training I'm familiar with from classes I took 20-30 years ago always involved "no's" and jerks on a choke chain collar--not what I want to do with Hobbs. We're way out in the country so no obedience classes around. All ideas appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 05:01 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
DVD - Patty Ruzzo seminar...just google

Playtraining Your Dog by Patricia Gail Burnham

Building Blocks For Performance by Bobbie Anderson, this is for the competition dog but there is so much in there that is suitable for anyone trying to train in a positive manner...this book lives by my bed and I read every night.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
The clicker works because it 'marks' the behavior you want to be repeated. It's a signal to the dog that the behavior he/she's doing at THAT precise second is what you want and what is going to get rewarded.

I got a slew of clickers, and put them on the wrist coils you can find at any key maker or hardware store. They're always with me or in my pocket.

I find clicker training AMAZINGLY fast! My pug learned how to give me his paw and his name on the same day I brought him home when he was 14 weeks old. And that's how he earned his CGC title.

I really like Pat Miller's 'The Power of Positive Dog Training.' I also recommend subscribing to 'The Whole Dog Journal.' A GREAT resource for care and training.

Also, check ClickerSolutions Home. They have a whole collection of training lessons and tips and tricks.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:08 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
I like "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt. Leslie McDevitt: Control Unleashed®, The Book.
This book is a wonderful resource for positive training.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,885 times
Sound like great suggestions! Thanks so much!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Once you understand Clicker training and how that Click can be used to shape behavior you become a fan of it . Most animals you see in shows, whales and dolphins being great example were clicker trained by shaping what is normal behavior for them.

Our local humane society has a woman that does clicker training classes for them and she herself clicker trained a bunch of bunnies so they can do a bunny agility thing! Pretty cool as who expects a bunny to do agility?

I too like Pat Millers's book and there is another great book for folks with breeds that are considered difficult to train breeds ( terriers, sight hounds. the non biddable dogs who don't live to please their owners like some breeds do.) It is called When Pigs FLY by Jane Killion. She too uses the clicker methods and has gone far with her Bull terriers which are considered very difficult to train . She explains why clickers work better then a " good boy and a treat" and it makes sense.

Alot of these breeds shut down with normal training but when you use the clicker method and shape their behavior they then think training is fun and you find they can be trained and do very well with it.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Another good trainer is Patricia McConnell - she's got several books and your library might have one or more or them.

I also love Suzanne Clothier's book Bones Would Rain from the Sky. It's not about training per se but about our relationships with our dogs.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:41 AM

178 posts, read 574,558 times
Another vote for Pat Miller's book...does a really good job explaining positive training and gives you a great week-by-week training program. As far as using a clicker, it's not vital for teaching some of the basics as long as you're there with a big bag of treats to reward each success (or mini-success). But when you go on to other work where it would be impractical to treat every time the dog did something correct it's invaluable for marking the behavior. For example, teaching a dog to stay -- you can't really give the dog a treat when you're 10 or 20 feet away, or in a different room for that matter. The clicker lets you tell him he's doing the right thing even though you're not right by his side.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Default The Loved Dog

Hi, Sun;

I just started reading this book about Tamar's training, and am very impressed with the work she's doing. I searched for more info online, and came across her
YouTube video intro. I think it's definitely the right way to go....

Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,912 times
the other end of the leash, don't shoot the dog and click with it. These were three books that I had to read when I was going through to get my training degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs