Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 AM

242 posts, read 244,434 times

Advertisements

In an attempt to make a long story short, my wife and I had our first child on 12/24/14. Up until then my four year old beagle has been the center of our universe. We would do as much as we possibly could to include him in what we had going on. With our child is has become infinitely more difficult to do so.

On top of bringing home our child, we also moved in November. We moved from a smaller place with a small year to a bigger place with a much larger yard. We don't allow him to run loose anyway so when he is out one of us is with him. I take him on walks when the weather is good enough to do so allowing him to get his exercise and such.

The problem: he has become increasingly aggressive towards my wife and I. He has snapped a couple of times and whether his goal is to bite or just to send a message is not a call I can make. He also bit my mother in law because he had something he shouldn't have and she tried to take it from him.

I think much of the problem might be lack of continued training beyond your standard classes offered by the local pet center. However, it is disconcerting that he is snapping at us because as our child grows it provides the potential that he snaps at our child also.

I am somewhat thinking aloud here but also seeing if anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:08 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Training can help, but you might need to bring someone in that comes to your house and observes and works with you.

If it is something you do not feel comfortable with, look around for a beagle rescue organization near you. I did a quick google on beagle rescue and found lots of them, but no overall national org, but may have missed it. That will be the best bet for the dog to find a good home.

If that does not work out, try a local no-kill shelter. Last resort would be the typical local county humane society or pound as most of them have high kill rates.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarchand1981 View Post
However, it is disconcerting that he is snapping at us because as our child grows it provides the potential that he snaps at our child also.
I love dogs. However with that said, the potential to snap at your child. Time to find a home for your dog.
It is just not worth the risk, you would never forgive yourself if something happened.

My friend went through this, it was heart wrenching. The safety of her child was her priority, as it should be yours.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 AM

811 posts, read 1,555,986 times
Try and find a Beagle Rescue. It is a much better option for your dog than a shelter. You may have to work with them if they don't have a spot for him (a foster) immediately but I am sure you don't want him put down which could very well happen in a shelter. They would try to find a situation with no children.

Are you positive there is nothing medical going on? Have you taken him to the vet to rule that out? Just because you can't see it, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Shouldn't be too hard to rehome a dog that likes to bite mother-inlaws. Seriously though I would agree with the idea of finding a beagle rescue group.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:46 PM

483 posts, read 654,760 times
Give the dog a break.

You have a new baby that he is getting used too, a move to stress him out and I'd bet he isn't getting the exercise or attention he is used too.
Why can't he run around in the yard?

If you care about the dog look into personal training classes, because it sounds like you aren't willing to give the dog a chance if just group classes don't work. Some dogs need more training then that.
If he continues to be snappy then rehoming him is best for your young child, but remember that a dog that snaps is less likely to be adopted.

He might also be sick or in pain, never rule out sudden changes in behavior without talking to a vet first.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:52 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Find a animal behaviorist.....

Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Occasionally, one of my father's hunting beagles would snap at him. He'd work with the dog and usually the problem would disappear pretty quickly. I was never bitten by any of his dogs.

First thing you need to do is get a medical checkup. You don't provide any specific examples of when the dog is biting, so I'm flying blind on what might cause the problem.

Second thing you need to do is handle it every day. EVERY. FREAKING. DAY. That means you have big petting sessions where you roll the dog on its back, rub its tummy, touch its paws, stroke its ears. If there's resistance at first, you use high-value treats and only give them when the dog is being calm and reacting appropriately. You and your wife should alternate taking turns.

It needs supervised time in the yard where it gets to sniff to its heart's content. Beagles are sniffers, and they need that time to explore. It needs training. You should teach it things like "Go to spot" (lying down in a designated place or on a designated mat); sit; stay; drop it.

In the house, when you approach, have a treat at the ready to provide it with motivation not to bite. You are the source from whom all good things flow.

As for your kid, well, it's a BEAGLE. I knew someone who got rid of a great dane because there was no way to contain the dog in their house away from the child - but we're talking about a dog that is about 25 pounds, 35 tops. You buy some baby gates and keep them apart unless they are supervised. With a beagle (always food-motivated), you fill a kong full of frozen treats (mashed kibble, yogurt, peanut butter) and put up a baby gate in front of the doorway where it can see you. If it barks, ignore it until it stops. Reach over to pet it when it's quiet.

If it's food aggression or toy aggression, you just make sure the dog does not have any toys or food items around when the baby is around. And then you work on the issue.

But the dog should know the baby and like it. I'd consult a behaviorist for sure, but when I wanted to introduce my dogs to my cats for the first time, I kept treats with me, and every time the cat would come into the room, I'd throw a party. When it came up to the dogs, I'd throw a bigger party. The cat became a treat trigger for the dogs. This is a problem however if the kid reaches for the treats, so that's why I think a behaviorist is important. I've never had to train a dog to accept kids.

My border collies realized that they absolutely loved children the day they met my friend's four-year-old at a picnic and realized he was covered in crumbs. They followed him around all day, licking him from head to toe and snuggling with him.

But yeah, you need a vet and a behaviorist.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:03 PM

9 posts, read 10,141 times
please, please get help for your pet and see if you can't correct this behavior issue. many years ago i gave up a skye terrier for behavior issues. he had become aggressive and i was afraid he was going to bite my kids. as i have grown as a pet owner i have come to realize that i am the one who is the problem or the solution. learning how to work with your beagle to help him get over the stress of the baby and the move should be something a local pet trainer can help you with.

when i think back to my skye and how i gave up too soon i am shamed and feel great guilt. i am sure my furry friends a glad i learned my lesson.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I think it sounds like your home is not the right one for this dog anymore. No sense placing blame...But, it is good that you are reaching out trying to find a good resolution for your dog...Here is just one link that I found for your area....Specific to beagle rescue sites....Rescue, Resource, and Referral - Beagles of New England States There are a few...I just searched using "New Hampshire beagle rescue" if you'd like to find other beagle rescues in your area.

It is my opinion that once a dog bites....they have lost that inhibition to bite...

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs