Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Our Brittany gets more afraid of thunderstorms the older she gets. The vet says not to indulge her fears, so we don't 'oh poor baby' her, but we do feel bad for her.
Has anyone figured out a good strategy? We're not above slipping her a few benedril, but I wonder if there's a way of getting her over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our Brittany gets more afraid of thunderstorms the older she gets. The vet says not to indulge her fears, so we don't 'oh poor baby' her, but we do feel bad for her.
Has anyone figured out a good strategy? We're not above slipping her a few benedril, but I wonder if there's a way of getting her over it.
If you find out.... please let me know.
My dog kept me up all night last night due to storms.
I am wondering if they can sense the barometric levels similar to reptiles.
My dog gets breathing really heavy, almost like she has heat exhaustion. I kept getting up lowering the a/c, soon to realize that everybody else was feeling like icicles. So it obviously wasn't the heat. I had the a/c down to 60.
Now, this morning...... SHE is sleeping like a baby, and I am dragging my bum . Go figure

Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
My experience has been that dogs either are terrified of storms or they don't even know there is one happening. My current dog is oblivious, the one before her was terrified. Picture a 130 pound dog jammed in behind the toilet......

Have you tried DAP? The people that I know who use this swear by it. Here is a link with some info. Canine Behavior Spotlight: Behavior Problems and D.A.P - (Dog Appeasing Pheromone)

Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,566 times
Do not pay any attention to her while it happens. It will reinforce the behavior and make it worse. I'm of the belief that if they have this fear then they always will..... but you may be able to minimize it some by ignoring it.

My first dog when I was a child would jump into the bath tub in fear and try to squeeze under beds as he cried. It was sad to see him do that but it never stopped.

Luckily my present 2 dogs don't even notice when there's a thunderstorm.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:51 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I have wondered if it's the sound of the thunder. All dogs have acute hearing and some are extremely sensitive. They could be totally bombarded with horrible sound long before we would be aware of it. I know how I feel in bad storms. The constant roar just blows my mind.

I guess they expect us to make "it" go away. They certainly don't know it's harmless.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:08 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,566 times
yes they have intense hearing but weak nerves may play a part in it, which has to do with breeding.

My 1st dog was a mutt (watered down from US) vs my current dogs who were breed for strong nerves and imports from great European stock. They were born hearing loud noise like shooting, dropping metal pans on cement etc.... so though they may flinch for a second and think 'wtf was that' but it doesn't bother them.

Yesterday morning at 7:00 a.m., about 6 hot air balloons went over my house very low and the dogs were outside looking up and alerting with a few woofs. The people in the balloons heard them and waved.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:15 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The thing is, she's a gun dog and is acclimated to gunshots, so it's not just any loud noise...something about the thunderstorms.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,529 times
Benadryl? Our dog is fine with storms but we used to watch a friend's dog (pitbull/lab mix) who was terrified of them. One Benadryl usually did the trick...works great with kids, too.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:07 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, this is very common with dogs. I don't know of any easy way to deal with it. Your vet is right. You don't want to baby the dog or indulge her fears, pick her up and hug her, or anything like that. You want to act like everything is find and go on with your business. You can try benedril. My dog was terrified of thunder too and more so as she got older. She's lost most of her hearing now, so it's no longer a problem.

greenie

Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 PM

180 posts, read 957,349 times
I am interested in other's comments on this topic too.

Elvis is not afraid of the storms but they do excite him. He barks at the thunder and when we lived in the mountains, he would run the ridge above the house chasing the lightning! He stands all aquiver and excited at the door watching the storm.
It's very irritating when he barks at it all.

I can fuss at him and make him lie down but the first clap of thunder and he's back at it. but he is in no way frightened.

Our former dog was terrified. We gave him a benny to sleep it off poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs