Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:52 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,267 times

Advertisements

Any one have shiba inus. if so what do you like or dislike about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I don't own one but I've seen and petted them at dog shows. They are lovely.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,793 times
I have a mix, half American Eskimo and the other half Shiba Imu. He is the most beautiful color red, weighs 26 lbs, has a very thick coat of hair, not sure whether this is from the Eskimo or the Shiba.
I have four dogs this is the naughty one, he is quick, barks the most, gets in the trash can as soon as your back is turned, you won't catch him. He is very protective with the house and the people that belong here, even if they don't live here he knows who belongs. I would not want him around children unless he really knew them and they were older.
He goes on his walks with a harness on because he likes to be the boss on the walk. He will take off if he sees something or someone he does not like.
I believe he can tell the good from the bad when it comes to people and he lets them know, He never leaves the yard without being leashed and in control.
I love this dogs personality and his energy, even his naughtiness but I would not reccomend this breed/mix for a family with children.
When I got him he was only 8 weeks old and the most adorable puppy I have ever seen. I was aware of the problems he could be so I spent a lot of and I mean a lot of time with him, lots of brushing ,walking, teaching. He gets on with the other dogs, but he wants to be boss and my big lab is not going to allow that.
I have to constantly make sure his eyes stay clean, stops the black line you see on so many breeds.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 PM

114 posts, read 209,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Any one have shiba inus. if so what do you like or dislike about them?
Hey how are you I own a shiba inu and i must say they are very smart dogs. they bond very closely with it owner and have a abundance of energy. Mine was very easily housebroken and picked up on things very quickly. My dog rarely ever barks unless playing. They are the cousin to the Akita breed have very thick fur most common color is red with white markings. Only thing is like any other dog you must show you are in charge as these dogs are very stubborn. If you have any other question please send me a PM i'd love to tell you anymore information. Were you thinking of getting one?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,467 times
I have a shiba inu. we adopted her just over a month ago. she was quite a challenge at first but there was something about her that i found intriguing.
now, i absolutely love her! she is sooo cool.

tell me about yours

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
It's a beautiful breed, very intelligent. Needs loving but firm handling, and make loyal, devoted pets.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM

66 posts, read 391,054 times
my wife and I adopted a Shiba a few years ago when we lived in NYC. What a great decision!!! Shiba's are the greatest dogs, but like previous posters stated, they can't be trusted off the lease. Our Shiba will attack any small animals (cats, squirrels, rabbits, etc). I wouldn't trust them with children either. They are not "lap dogs" but they are affectionate

Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,256 times
I fell in love with our shiba when she was just a wee little furball-- I had to have her, with that sad little face! She was a doll, but we weren't ready for her. She had way to much energy for our condo. She was so sweet, and very snuggly. Not a barker either. We loved her--We ended up giving her to my mother in law, who was in search of a new dog. It's nice because we still get to see her and she has a huge yard to run in! Love the breed, would get another if we didn't live in FL

Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 7,800 times
We have a Shiba Inu (Simba) and LOVE him. We got him as a puppy and immediately exposed him to children and other animals and he is WONDERFUL with both. We have a 10 month old son and he is tolerant of him (even hair pulling!) but I would not say he loves this crawling baby thing. :-) He plays with our outdoor cat and loves to hang out with my parent's female westie. Now, not all are like this. And I know of 2 others who were adopted older and are not nearly as tolerant. Also, they seem to bond faster with females...not sure why...
But Simba is so excited when he sees other dogs or kids on our walk and can't wait to play with them. I think it is what they are exposed to and their experiences.

There are 3 potential negatives to this dog and they all come down to him being what I would call a Shiba (stubborn and independent):
1) they cannot be off a leash. my husband did dog obediance training and Simba (our Shiba) can go out front with us to get into the car without a leash but that's about it. You could not take them to a park and let them run free unless it was enclosed and you don't mind chasing them for half an hour. They were bred to be hunters of small game so they are VERY easily distracted and will not heed your call once in pursuit.
2) they are not "lap" dogs. He is cuddly and will sit with us when he wants to. But he doesn't need constant attention or to be babied...which may be a positive for some people! Lots of people say Shiba's are cat-like and I would agree.
3) expensive. they are hard to find and we did not want a "show quality" dog or one for breeding. My uncle and his wife (from japan) had 2 and we just fell in love with their look, their character, their energy and personality. Do the research cause this dog isn't right for everyone but we ADORE him.

4) this one may be a positive or negative quality- they are very curious...or at least Simba is. He is always exploring, getting into things, and loves "challenges" like kongs with cookies burried inside or treats hidden around the house. I wouldn't say they are too bad (hardly digs at all and NEVER creates a mess from nothing)...example: if I leave my shoes out...he will take them out his doggy door. Doesn't really chew on them, I think he just likes the challenge of trying to fit the shoe out his door. It's almost cute and can be a good thing when you give him challenges to pursue (and keeps him busy).

Most positive for us:
1) NO BARK. Very rarely does he make ANY sound and his bark is barely that. We LOVE not having a yipping dog.
2) size and energy-perfect for our family. We are active and he can keep up but if our lives get busy and he doesn't get a walk for a week...he is okay with that too. they do need a yard but ours is fairly small and he is just fine.
3) his independence-I don't have to feel guilty if he isn't getting ALOT of attention. My parents westie is like a baby (though I'm sure they've contributed to that) and needs to be played with and petted and walked, etc. Simba has a doggie door and we've asked family to visit him while we were gone over 2 days and they said he almost ignored them. Was glad to see someone but then just sat in the sun and watched them curiously. He is very much his own dog...which again, could be a negative for some people.
4) was very easy to train (in all areas but off-leash). he will sit, stay, fetch, shake, roll over, and potty training was a breeze. They are exteremly smart dogs, just independent (like I've said before :-)

Hope that helps! You can PM if you want more details!
Lauren

Old 12-14-2008, 02:21 PM

10 posts, read 33,382 times
i have a three year old red shiba. she is feisty, stubborn, strong willed, highly intelligent (almost to a fault),sassy (woo-woos when she doesnt get her way), almost appears to think she was born superior

while these qualities sound bad i have actually grown to love her "shiba-ness". having said that she is also higly affectionate, charming, sweet natured, amusing, never a dull moment, rarely barks unless protecting "her" yard.

the biggest thing i really really hate and actually want to get ceasar the dog whisperer out for is her dog aggression. at the dog park she loooves to play and sass around all the dogs and get them to chase her. every now and then shell snap at them for rubbing her the wrong way but nothing big. she will act really agressively to dogs when were on a walk and they walk by. or when my sisters boyfriends dog came over to our house sasha (my shibas name) acted ferocious to her and after she tried to fight with her we had to put her in the bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs